• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Oral Surgeon I.V. sedation

JamesB1985

Bluelighter
I have an oral surgery coming up that will be I.V. sedation (twighlight sleep) . I believe they will be using Versed(midazolam). I will have a script for Temazepam (Restoril) a few days before I go in.
Should I go in with no benzo tolerance for best dental experience or take a decent dose of Temazepam before I go in to add onto the midazolam??

If at all possible go in sober. If you have a significant tolerance to opioids or benzodiazepines it is good practice to advise your anesthesiologist beforehand.

A small story out of my life: A few years back, I was abusing fentanyl and benzos like candy. I had to see an oral surgeon to get my wisdom teeth taken out under anesthesia. I didn't mention the fact, of course. I was at the point where I put somewhere between 300 to 400 mg of some pure fent analogue up my nose every day, ate xanax like candy and barely got high anymore. So the day of the appointment comes, and they prep me for anesthesia. After the IV is hooked up the anesthesiologist takes over, and pushes some cocktail into my veins, and tells me to count to ten. I count to ten, and ask him "now what". He scratches his head, I get a second dose, and feel a bit light headed. It was a good buzz actually, but far away from anesthesia. At this point I'm being asked to wait, and 15 minutes or so go by, I remain conscious. The anesthesiologist comes back, asks me if I have a tolerance to pain killers. I mention that I might have a substance abuse problem, he breathes a sigh of relief, I get a shot of propofol, and it's lights out and I wake up with my 4 teeth gone.

Despite my antics and me mentioning that I have a substance abuse problem, I was sent on my way with an above average amount of pain killers. Looking back, it was sort of foolish to not mention it, who knows what a shitty situation I would have been in if I woke during the procedure :\

Iirc they use propofol most of the time now instead of midazolam, at least in germany, so you shouldn't take any benzo due to the risk of increased side effects, like respiratory depression and low blood pressure.

Should you take some let your anaesthesiologist now so he/she can adequately change the dosage accordingly

Hey James! I see you joined up a couple years ago, but it appears that you're still a little bit "green", as it were, so let me present you with a belated welcome to the forums. Kleiner has covered an important point, being that there is a little bit of variation from provider to provider, especially from country to country. We definitely can't take a wild guess as to what you might get, but I think we can answer your question.

Really, the only safe thing to do when dealing with Anesthesia, even if it's only partial-sedation is to be completely up front and honest with your Anesthesiologist, because they basically use a combination of math and observation to determine what they need to do to put you out. I would recommend either not using the Temazepam (Restoril) if you do not need it or to definitely inform your Anesthesiologist if you already have Benzodiazepines on board.

Does that answer things for you? There's absolutely no need to pre-medicate in these situations and it's actually a pretty dangerous thing to do. Granted, the Anesthesiologist is not likely to let you die under any circumstances, but people make mistakes and you do not want to contribute to that risk unnecessarily.

Yes it answers my question absolutely. I live in Pennsylvania, United States. I will go in with no benzos tolerance for the best results I think from what others have said. Not to mention the important fact that they've instructed me not to eat or drink anything at least 8 hours before the surgery, not even water. So it would be pretty hard for the Temazepam to have an effect 8 hours before the surgery. Thank you.

Thanks everybody..went into the dentist with no benzo. tolerance and everything went great. I was out like a lightbulb.

Only problem the poor guy has was finding a vein...nothing in the right crutch of arm...then he tried two the the left elbow area...after that wouldn't give blood he got a little frustrated and commented .."Yikes"....finally found a decent vein in left hand and was good. Only bad thing about us I.V. users is the finding a vein in medical environment. Thanks again BlueLighters!

Looking back, it was sort of foolish to not mention it, who knows what a shitty situation I would have been in if I woke during the procedure :\

I came out of anesthesia a bit when I had mine taken out. Started coming out of it to them cracking one of my teeth. lol

I would tell the doc you take Tem. then, take a low dose and tell him you are going to have none in your system pre-surgery.

There's bound to be some lingering shit in there.