• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opium from fresh poppy pods

Not without doing a water extraction.... You should slice while they are on the stems if not even let the pod dry before picking it so you can just crack it open and seperate the dried pod pieces and extract the opiods that didn't bleed out.

Just make tea. Trying to smoke latex is a waste of time unless you have acres of the things (imo/ime).

Better yet, pod smoothie.

Yes, but you won’t get nearly as much milk as if you did it while they were still attached to the step and rooted.

I would just make tea. Making opium latex from poppies is incredibly time consuming and effortful. Imho I never got as much from smoking it compared to eating it, at least in that it would take more material to smoke effectively.

I used to enjoy 4-6 pods ground up and made into tea. Tastes vile, but gosh it works well.

Have to agree that lancing and scraping is labor intensive. If you've never done it before, try it once, you'll be over it too IMO. Fresh Poppies make a bright green tea that's about a 1/3 more potent than dried poppies IME.

Here's the Megathread: -Ultimate-Poppy-Pod-Seed-Tea-Mega-Merged-Thread-IV
& another Pod thread:
-Is-poppy-pod-tea-worth-it

& Pod Addiction:
Poppy-pod-tea-addiction

& A Trip Report:
-Poppy-pod-tea-experienced-strong

& When the Tea Runs Out:
poppy-pod-tea-WD-s-help

& Fresh Pod Tea:
Anyone-Still-Growing-Poppies-or-Making-Tea

& Even Plugging the Tea:

Plugging-pod-tea

Hope It Works Out!

I second the fact that smoking it never led to as strong as an effect, but it was still worth trying in my opinion, but it's so difficult it send to produce a quality filtered opium as well as develop a good method to smoke it's best to just buy a gram off the dnm or something

I don't bother scoring the pods myself, I just blend them up and do an acid-base extraction on them, leaching them with something like methanol or isopropyl alcohol. And another method, involves an aqueous stage to the workup and adding calcium hydroxide, to precipitate the phenolic alkaloids by forming insoluble calcium phenoxide salts, as phenols are much more acidic than alcohols, so they can form salts with bases, and calcium likes to form insoluble or poorly soluble phenolate salts as a counterion. Like a sort of morphine limescale.

I just wanted to throw this out there - I used to grow opium poppies for pain relief because I have horrible migraines and genetically fused vertebrae in my neck, but didn't have health insurance until the whole Obamacare went through. So I was using poppy tea. I wasn't using them recreationally, and if you use a lot of opiates already this probably won't apply to you, but one thing to remember with poppies is that potency can vary a lot from one pod to another. I had a very bad experience once where the pods I used for my tea were much stronger than some others I had used, and got really dizzy and sick and considered going to the ER (but didn't because I didn't have health insurance and didn't want a huge bill). I was fine in the end, but it was a scary experience. Shortly after that, I got insurance and don't take opiates at all anymore. Anyway, please ignore if you are already familiar with poppies. :)

Can I get raw latex from poppy heads removed from the stem on the day I would slice.

^good point!

Acid/base extractions in fresh poppies work well, but I’d avoid it if one isn’t familiar with chemistry. Especially considering how effective poppy tea is.

That said a/b extractions are fun :)

Yeah i got really sick once, misjudging the strength of an opium extraction i did. Opium has a ridiculously long halflife, so if you overdo it, it tends to make you incredibly sick for 48+ hours. Not fun.
Be careful to start dosing low - you can always redose. It can take about 3 hours to feel the full effects too, so just go easy and don't underestimate how strong it can be :)

I'd love to know opium's secret relative to morphine/codeine, in the really extended half life, that isn't matched by concurrent usage of CYP-P450-3A4 and CYP-P450-2D6 inhibitors, pod tea lasts ages, much longer than oral morphine in a similar dose.

I don't know about fun, doing the a/b, it gets kinda tedious, workups, when you've done so fucking many of them that its just another headache necessary in getting from A to D via B, C etc. Especially for things more complex than plant extractions, such as multi-step syntheses (say, benzaldehyde, nitroethane+amine base-knoevanagel condensation run under microwave irradiation, followed by vacuum-distillation off of surplus nitro, washing out the base with ice-cold glacial acetic acid, then multiple aliquots of ice-cold water, recrystallization from isopropanol and iPA/H2O dual-solvent recrystallization, then heating to 80 'C for 2.5 hours once the melting point test is up to scratch and ideally TLC, in a thick slurry of iron dust in glacial acetic acid, with a catalytic quantity of ferric chloride hydrate, to give phenylacetone [P2P, 1-phenyl-propan-2-one, starting from 1-phenyl-2-beta-nitropropene], first forming the water insoluble bisulfite adduct, after washing with concentrated NaCl brine, solvents etc, liberating the adduct with a weak base like carbonate, extraction of the P2P into DCM, washing and drying of the DCM before distilling it off and recycling the DCM, vacuum distillation of the ketone, followed by forming the ketoxime with hydroxylamine salts and a base to deprotonate the hydroxylamine, then tedious crystallization [oximes really can be tough cookies to crystallize some times], isolation and careful, thorough dessication of the ketoxime, dissolution in rigorously dried, absolutely anhydrous ethanol and, keeping it cold, slowly adding, over the course of hours, the correct quantity of sodium metal, divided up into lots of little tiny chips a few mm in diameter, working under dried inert atmosphere to reduce it to amphetamine.

When you've seen that much workup for a single synthesis, it can get old, believe you me. And thats not counting vacuum distillation of the amphetamine base, formation of a salt, and multiple recrystallizations to give racemic amphetamine sulfate or phosphate. Even then, there is still the option of going further, although never have, in order to crystallize with enantiopure tartaric acid and resolve the racemic amphetamine chirally to afford dexamphetamine.

And that isn't a particularly long or arduous synthesis even. Just a bog standard amphetamine synthesis, although not the only way of doing it. Workups get old, fast :p