• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids questions

PieceByPiece

Bluelighter
Hi,
I've been taking liquid IR morphine (Oramorph) almost every single day since I started 2 months ago. Before then I'd never used Morphine, only other weaker opioids.

It's getting to the point now where I need to dose every four hours, surely my body isn't THAT addicted to it yet? Before this past week I could go 22-26 hrs before needing to dose.

Like I've had to dose right now this second because I feel so sick, and I feel awful. My chest is all over the place.

It started off just taking opioids for the emotional turmoil I'm going through, and now I'm needing the morphin everyday regardless of how I feel emotionally and mentally.

I was wondering is the gap between my dosing getting shorter because my body NEEDS it and the addiction is taking a stronger hold, or is it because liquid morphine is short-actin?

I have just got some Zomorph 30mgs, which are extended release capsules. Would they make the gap between dosing longer?

One thing I will find strange though is when it gets to the point where I have to dose before I can even get out of bed.

Also if I went to the doctor (I'm in the UK), and told him I'd been abusing codeine, promethazine, Gabapentin, diazepam, Tramadol, doxylamine,Dihydrocodeine and Morphine. What sort of treatment for detox would I get? Would he prescribe methadone as it has a much longer life then liquid morphine so I'd only be dosing once or twice with th methadone per day than like 4-6 times a day with morphine?

Other questions I have:
1. I know opioids cause constipation, but do they make your stools smell extremely offensive as well?

2. Is difficulty swallowing food a side effect of morphine (no, I don't mean in an allergic reaction way)?

3. Is it normal to have restless legs at night while under the effects of opioids?

4. Do opioids cause vivid, weird and nightmarish dreams (while UTI not when in w/d)?

5. Do everyone's pupils constrict when taking opioids, and does that stop with a higher tolerance? Or Are small pupils just for OD's and opioid naive people?

Firstly, I'll address your addiction issue. Everything that you're experiencing is related to the tolerance and dependence you are accruing. Shorter dosing intervals are indicative of a pattern, are they not. I think you're just asking the question in the hopes that someone can reassure you, but, it is what it is. Stop now, or delve deeper into the issue, the choice is yours.

In the UK getting on Methadone is a lot more simple (less heavily monitored and controlled). This, unfortunately is the extent of my knowledge regarding maintenance in the UK. Methadone is dosed once a day generally, on site. There are some, who for metabolic reasons need to dose twice a day, but it is not the norm.

1. Not that I'm directly aware of, but, I'm sure it's possible. The slightest change of diet and or habit can be enough to completely change the smell and hue of your doo. Opioids, as you are at least partially aware, have a major impact on the speed and overall function of your gastrointestinal system. Definitely possible, but I would probably chalk it up to a dietary change if I had to guess.

2. Not that I'm aware of. I've never heard of this symptom before. I'm stumped on it, but someone else might have some meaningful input.

3. Restless Legs are typically a symptom of withdrawal from Opioids (and other drugs for that matter), not from intoxication. The RLS that you're describing, is it like a mild "my legs feel kinda funny, electric" or is it "I have an extremely annoying/uncomfortable urge to constantly move my legs"? There's a pretty significant difference.

4. I suppose they could. Any time you take a conscious-altering substance, you are liable to experience strange/vivid/different than normal dreams. This varies from person to person. Not that strange I reckon.

5. Constricted pupils (Miosis) is a if not the hallmark of acute Opioid intoxication, with the severity of intoxication generally being tied directly to the size of the pupil, meaning if you're pupils are invisible, you're probably jammed. So, to answer your question, with tolerance, many symptoms, including Miosis will subside, but this generally means you're not getting as high.

Anything else?

Firstly, I'll address your addiction issue. Everything that you're experiencing is related to the tolerance and dependence you are accruing. Shorter dosing intervals are indicative of a pattern, are they not. I think you're just asking the question in the hopes that someone can reassure you, but, it is what it is. Stop now, or delve deeper into the issue, the choice is yours.

In the UK getting on Methadone is a lot more simple (less heavily monitored and controlled). This, unfortunately is the extent of my knowledge regarding maintenance in the UK. Methadone is dosed once a day generally, on site. There are some, who for metabolic reasons need to dose twice a day, but it is not the norm.

1. Not that I'm directly aware of, but, I'm sure it's possible. The slightest change of diet and or habit can be enough to completely change the smell and hue of your doo. Opioids, as you are at least partially aware, have a major impact on the speed and overall function of your gastrointestinal system. Definitely possible, but I would probably chalk it up to a dietary change if I had to guess.

2. Not that I'm aware of. I've never heard of this symptom before. I'm stumped on it, but someone else might have some meaningful input.

3. Restless Legs are typically a symptom of withdrawal from Opioids (and other drugs for that matter), not from intoxication. The RLS that you're describing, is it like a mild "my legs feel kinda funny, electric" or is it "I have an extremely annoying/uncomfortable urge to constantly move my legs"? There's a pretty significant difference.

4. I suppose they could. Any time you take a conscious-altering substance, you are liable to experience strange/vivid/different than normal dreams. This varies from person to person. Not that strange I reckon.

5. Constricted pupils (Miosis) is a if not the hallmark of acute Opioid intoxication, with the severity of intoxication generally being tied directly to the size of the pupil, meaning if you're pupils are invisible, you're probably jammed. So, to answer your question, with tolerance, many symptoms, including Miosis will subside, but this generally means you're not getting as high.

Anything else?
Sorry for starting an old thread but just wanted to say thank you I found this extremely helpful