• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opioids and HPPD question

Memantine

Bluelighter
I have mild HPPD symptoms that usually don't bother me.

Two weeks ago I started microdosing Psilocybin once every 3 days and it seemed that my HPPD actually got less. I could see a lot sharper than normal.

However last week I stopped the microdosing and I was on a Dihydrocodeine binge and I got VERY irritated, raging about all the things that don't go well in my life atm. Now it seems my HPPD is much more severe. Its very hard to concentrate or read because my vision is so fked up. Everything looks fake and is melting/moving.

Is there a relationship between opioids and HPPD? I have read that Naltrexone reduces HPPD symptoms so could this mean that opioid agonists do the opposite?

So just for what it's worth, Pimavanserin is a selective 5-HT2A inverse agonist used to treat hallucinations in Parkinson's that are due to upregulation of the 5HT2A receptor, so I would imagine that downregulation of 2A with psilocybin could be therapeutic for some hallucinations.

Supposedly what little we know about HPPD is that it has to do with an inhibition of COMT (if I recall correctly) leading to too many catecholamines - assuming this occurs in the occipital lobe where vision is processed it could definitely lead to HPPD. Considering that opiates increase dopamine, therein could lie the mechanism. You might check the wiki page on HPPD and see about the whole COMT thing, I could be remembering wrong. Careful with the opiates <3