• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioid Induced Insomnia

toadlicker04

Greenlighter
Any tips on how to treat the insomnia caused by opioids? I’ve tried adding benzos to the mix, but that simply increases the high without adding any sedation. Also, the itching is a real pain in the ass as well. Anyone got any tips? Lol

From a SAFETY/HARM REDUCTION standpoint, Mixing Opiates and Benzos especially when trying to sleep may lead to decreased breathing to the point of discontinued breathing and death. Adding alcohol and prescription sleeping pills into the mix will only increase those risks. There is a chance of falling asleep and choking to death on your own vomit as well. I have mixed Opiates and Benzos before without a problem personally, I don't take Opiates to the nodding point of my tolerance but just below it which gives me and keeps me energized.

My solution to treating insomnia caused by opioids is Quetiapine/Seroquel which I have a prescription for from my doctor for my bipolar symptoms of uneven moods and also recently learned that it can be used for anxiety too said the GP Doctor with less risk of benzo use. I was concerned with sleepiness from the Seroquel/Quetiapine so the doctor suggested breaking the pill in half and just take half a doseage. How effective was it? Definitely not as effective as Benzos but it helped a little.

Last edited:
Do not take benadyl unless you like restless leg sydrome what you need for opiate is certizine and promethazine which are both antihistamines and work miracles i always take certizine with codeine it not only takes away the side effects but also seems to make the high last longer in general.

I used to be able to sleep great on opiates, I didn't realize they could cause insomnia (except in withdrawal of course).

Any tips on how to treat the insomnia caused by opioids? I’ve tried adding benzos to the mix, but that simply increases the high without adding any sedation. Also, the itching is a real pain in the ass as well. Anyone got any tips? Lol

Cannabis works wonders for this...

I use Zyprexa. I used to hate being up at 5 am in bed trying to fall asleep after taking 30 mg of oxycodone per os 12 hours earlier. I mean, I thought opiates were sedatives, right? Well, yes and no. It's not that simple. (Note: I am HIGHLY dependent on Zyprexa or Seroquel for sleep now btw.)