• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Opiates VS Weed Psychological effects

TAVOR

Bluelighter
Hello, I've read a couple of medical studies on long term patients who have used opiates for the treatment of chronic pain. What most of these studies underlined is that a part from the physical dependance and the withdrawals that prescription drugs create over a long period of time especially if they're interrupted abruptly, the psychological damage on patients was pretty much non-existent. They also stated that organ damage from pharmaceutical opiates is also non-existent if taken in the recommended dosage since they are not cardio-toxic or hepatotoxic etc...

I mean, weed is a light psychedelic, in terms of physical safety its one of the safest drugs out there, but being a psychedelic its psychological effects are quite unpredictable since a long term use of weed may cause social anxiety, panic disorders or bipolarism in people who are more predisposed.

Therefore my question is directed towards members who have a better knowledge of pharmacology than me, is it true that pharmaceutical opiates are psychologically less harmful than weed?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I can't give you any scientific literature to back this up because I'm lazy, but opioids are a tricky class. At first it may seem like they don't really affect the mind at all (and that's a big plus), but it is not uncommon for long-term opioid use to trigger depression or feeling down - a lot of opioid addicts experience protracted depression upon quitting. Also, while opioids are, as you said, non-toxic to organs and are otherwise pretty much safe physiologically, except for immunosuppression of course (but doesn't weed suppress the immune system as well?", they do result in a nasty physical dependence most of the time and quitting them may be hard. Weed, on the other hand, is benign in most aspects as far as physiology is concerned. But, it does fuck with the head, as far as I know and have experienced. It may trigger a plethora of mental disorders and does impair thinking to some extent while active though. Oh, and if you smoke your weed, then of course the effect on your lungs is also worth considering.

So all in all, I'd probably say that opioids are easier on the mind than weed if you're not worried about feeling depressed at some point.

From my personal experience opioids fuck my short term memory up really badly. Weed does too but not anywhere close to the extend that opioids do. It even got to the point where i couldnt have conversations because id forget what the other person was talking about.