• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opiates/opioid constipation?

My opiate use has caused me to develop hemroids from the constipation. This has cause bleeding for me but you should see a doctor to be sure. I find that the only thing that helps is a large spoonful of metimucil and 2 large glasses of water before bedtime. I will usually pass a stool the next morning before my next opiate dose.

If I have a bowl of total the next morning it is usually extremely helpful to me if the metimucil alone doesn't work. Hard cardio can really help stimulate the bowels as well. =D

This is an old wise tale that honestly is not based in fact, but I truly believe. I have always preached that if used in a clean, sterile enviornment, that pure uncut opiates are practically benign to the body. But IMHO, the only thing I believe is that with the strong, long lasting constipation Morphine Sulphate and Methadone HCl give, I believe when waste stays in you for long periods of time like during an opiate/opioid binge, that its not good for you, Only Physical negative I can really fine if the opiates are used properly.
I have been on Methadone for years, but I sometimes still suffer from terrible constipation at times...

i feel you brother. I just passed one and some blood >_< fucking suxxx. stool softeners work for me if I take them while I'm still using at least before my last shot, then continue use for a week or so after.

They came it with this shit called methyl naltrexone which is an opioid antagonist which supposedly only attaches to the opiate receptors in your gut, kind of like the opposite of loperamide, and you can bet no one will want that shit to cross the BBB

i was in a severe motorcycle accident. I broke my back and every bone in my foot and knee was also broken. I had a very long recovery and have been on daily pain medication since 2006. I have found that drinking apple juice daily, along with a good yogurt (the yogurt must have ive active cultures in it) helps tremendously. I have made smoothies with chocolate soy milk (whatever flavor you prefer works the same) your favorite fruit and the key component in 2 tablespoons of metamucil. The important thing is to up your daily intake of fiber naturlly to stop the problem before it starts. I hope this eliminates your opiate induced anus busters, at the very least it should make them a bit more gentle on the rear when you go potty.

After reading through this whole post I have to call bullshit on a few things. To summarize my experience a bit, I have been on and off every opiate pain killer there is for chronic back pain, I've had three back surgeries. At the peak of my pain, before the last surgery, I was taking enough oxy to kill half a stable of horses. 3-60mg oxycontin and four to six 15mg oxycodone a day, everyday. First of all, anyone who says that Miralax (or any Polyethylene Glycol, PG) doesn't work for them, they didn't use it properly. PG's are osmotic-type laxatives, they're very different from any stimulant laxative or bulk forming fiber laxative. PG does NOT work overnight like stimulant laxatives do. If you're already to the point of having impacted bowels, (150 shit nuggets packed just inside your bunghole) no laxative will work effectively. You have to start when your bowel is relatively clear. So, after you are able to have a bowel movement and feel relatively free, then start using PG, use it everyday, use a few double doses to start off with. It's by far the safest, least harmful laxative there is. It won't churn your guts up and make you have GI gas and pain at all. All PG does is draw water into your bowels and intestines hence why it's called an osmotic-type laxative. Drawing water in will naturally soften those rock hard shit nuggets. It also allows your body to produce the mucous you normally have in your bowel which is the natural lube that slides out a turd.

The bleeding in your stool is happening because the inside of your bowel and poop chute is as dry as the Sahara, then shove 100 dry, crusty nuggets through there and it causes small abrasions on the inside of your bowel that bleed. That is a very normal occurrence for anyone that has had to learn the hard way about severe opiate constipation.

Now the real nasty part! :) I don't know about your level of comfort with having strangers jammin their fingers up your ass to relieve an impacted bowel, I simply won't go to the hospital for that. I would literally die of embarrassment cause I know what's in there! You can relieve your own impacted bowel without anyone's help, all by your lonesome in the bathroom, door closed, and nobody will be the wiser. But you will need a strong stomach and a sink or something near by to wash your hand off as you're doing it. The first few nuggets are the hardest to get out because they've been packed together so tightly, but ya just break it apart with the point of your finger and hook it with the same finger and pull. Then repeat.. You'll eventually break up the ball of nuggets enough that the rest will slide out like normal.. I had to do this a bunch of times before my sister the Dr. made me drink Miralax regularly. After I learned how to use PG, I never had another serious problem. If you're not to the point of an impacted bowel yet, you can probably start using PG and in 2-5 days, VIOLA! Then just drink a glass of PG in water every few days and enjoy regularity again!

I'm happy to note that I've been off of pain killers completely since Feb, 2014.

Those are the realities of cronic opiate constipation. Almost everyone experiences the same things at some point if they are prolonged users of opiates.

Hope that helps clear the fodder a bit!

Last edited:
If you're a regular opiate user go to cvs/walgreens and get metamucil for one. Also get align probiotic supplement. It's like $40-$60 but it's worth it! Also My doctor prescribed it to me so I didn't have to pay for either one. but if you don't have a doctor than just buy them they're OTC also. if you take those 2 meds regularly you won't ever get constipated.

I actually gave myself a double hernia from straining to crap because of opioid constipation! Not sure if this is a first or not.

I ended up getting more regular when I started mixing about 2-3 Tbsp of psylium husks, The kind that you get in the bulk dept of health food stores.
I also took 8 - 10 stool softeners.
I did this at night just before bed... The next morning I was ready to go.

I'm posting this in past tense because I'm pretty clean these days. I ws doing about 160 mg/day of oxy or the equivalent in fent. These days I'm doing about 40mg/ week usually on weekends only. Kratom was a huge helper, til that started going off the market. Only since then have I begun using pills again.

I'll add to that, I am ordinarily a bit constipated even when I'm straight unless I use metamucil.

If you're not on maintenance and are using shorter lasting opiates, I found the best method is to wait an hour or two before having your morning dose every couple days. By that stage the constipation should be gone and you can clear your system, then go enjoy your shot. It's a pain not having your shot immediately after waking, but better than the issues serious, long term constipation can cause.

If that doesn't work, or you're on methadone/subs, then try magnesium hydroxide or milk of magnesia or something along those lines.

To the OP. I feel your pain lol. Its the one thing i kind of hate about opiates.
I also have IBS so it makes it so much worse when I do opiates.
My stomach cramps the whole way through the experience which blows and is a buzz kill.
And getting sleep while this is happening or at least a restful sleep where your body isn't stressed is hard (the stressed area being the stomach which is so tense for me usually. And while on opiates even more to the point where the rest of my body is not relaxed and therefore cannot sleep for some reason until i have emptied my bowels - Which of course doesn't happen for a while on most opiates so I'm pretty much buggered for sleep when do i do opiates. Which is a shame because i enjoy them in every other way.)

I do find that when I was doing opiates a bit more a couple of years ago, i found the ones with a shorter half life are much easier to bear with in terms of constipation.
The opiates with a short half life wear off faster thats why.

I found this difference when experimenting with both Hyrdomorphone and Morphine.
Usually i could only get one or the other.

When I got Hydromorphone i could easily poop within 12 hours of doing it usually.
Max, i guess if i did a really high dose or binged, etc would be 24 hours.
I could do it the night before, have breakfast the next morning and (presuming i don't do more hydro ofc) within an hour of eating i'm pooping a decent amount.

Morphine is a completely different story.
Generally withdrawals take longer to hit someone doing a hit of Morphine vs someone doing one hit of Hydromorphone because Morphine has a longer half life. Half life doesn't just affect this either...
So the point here - Because of morphines longer half life you are gonna have to wait a hell of a lot longer than you would with Hydromorphone before you can shit nicely.
...^And this half life and time it takes to poop correlation would go for most opiates I would imagine.

I don't know my other opiates too well so correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure that H is more closely related to morphine and actually has a little longer of a half life.
Not sure if it's because of the adulterants in H or what that makes this so... So expect not to take a comfortable shit for a while if you are into H I would imagine lol.
Fenatyl i'm not really familiar with but a Google search will allow you to find some info about its half life and from that you could find out how long until it's out of your system aka how long approx till you can at least get a little bit out and give your gut some goddam relief! lol.
Same goes for Oxy, Voicodin and other common American opiates. Oh and Codeine and all the other opiates I didnt mention - Don't know them well enough to give any info on them in regards to their constipating effect.

But yeah just take the half life into regards if you have the luxury of being able to choose the opiate you get! Thought I'd share my experience with it especially in regards to constipation. Sorry if someone already mentioned what I said lol. There's like 5-6 pages of replies on this thread. 5-6 pages
on people talking about poop & constipation -_- ...

...ain't nobody got time for that!

Did have a quick read though tbh though lol on the first and this page anyways and there are some other good tips too which I follow and would also recommend to help ease the side effect of constipation or reduce the severity of it.

From someone who has some sort of genetic disposition toward constipation (opiates or no), dietary fiber, water intake, stool softeners, and laxatives sometimes have little effect for some individuals. After years of struggling with the condition, I found that significant magnesium supplementation is essential to proper large intestine water absorption. While this varies for me from ~800mg-~1500mg/day without any medication, the use of pain meds does require higher dosing.

methadone is the absolute worst for constipation . ive been dealing with this for awhile and haven't found a laxative that helps. I try to drink as much h20 as possible, but I still am very constipated. I worry about becoming impacted.... I guess one positive is that I have bowel movements on a regular schedule, I wont even say how far apart, but they're usually the same distance apart. ugh not something I like to discuss.

I am late to this party and my issue is completely opposite but I find no info or anyone who shares my side of this issue. I take 30mg Oxycodone 3 x's a day for over a year and at one time, a few years ago, was taking 4 a day along with 60 or 80mg. Oxycontin 3 x's a day. I stopped the contin cuz side effects out weighed the benefits. Have the side effects with the codone but pain relief works. Anyway... My BM's are 200% better with the Oxy than with out. Only 1 or 2 a day, instead of 7, 10 or even 12. Other than that first bit of pain when that rock comes out, it's nowhere near as painful. No cramping. No mucus. No foam. I don't know, guess I'm a freak of nature but I'm very happy with my pooping.!!

I've had horrible constipation from my lifetime of opioid abuse, but by far the worst was when I started suboxone maintenance. I didn't shit for 14 days. Had to go to the hospital where they made me drink that gallon of nasty shit in an hour or whatever. Even that barely broke it loose. Finally after I got cleared out, the thing that helped me was drinking a shitloads of Apple cider. Like a gallon a day would keep me regular. There were times where it would rip my ass open so bad the toilet would be full of blood almost. There were a couple times at work I would take a shit so huge and it made my ass bleed so bad I had to just crumble up toilet paper and stuff it in my ass crack because I didn't have time to wait for the bleeding to stop...it was brutal.

I've had horrible constipation from my lifetime of opioid abuse, but by far the worst was when I started suboxone maintenance. I didn't shit for 14 days. Had to go to the hospital where they made me drink that gallon of nasty shit in an hour or whatever. Even that barely broke it loose. Finally after I got cleared out, the thing that helped me was drinking a shitloads of Apple cider. Like a gallon a day would keep me regular. There were times where it would rip my ass open so bad the toilet would be full of blood almost. There were a couple times at work I would take a shit so huge and it made my ass bleed so bad I had to just crumble up toilet paper and stuff it in my ass crack because I didn't have time to wait for the bleeding to stop...it was brutal.

That's messed up!

I'm continually amazed at how few people consider the enema. It's easy as a daily ritual and avoids all these ugly problems.