• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Opiates make my anxiety worse........

bdomihizayka

Bluelighter
I'm withdrawing off of this shit and feeling rough but so much better than when I was actually on it.

Heroin- it makes me anxious. I have OCD and it actually increases my obsessive thoughts. I might be less bothered by them from intoxication, but my anxiety/ intrusive thoughts would always be heightened when under the influence of an opiate. I know it wasn't a bad batch of heroin- because any opiate/ opioid would have this effect on me- buprenorphine being the worst offender.

Anyone else out there know what I'm talking about? Ever feel anxious whilst high on an opiate?

Most all opiates helped my anxiety in the present moment. Anxiety which was mostly a result on my heroin and benzo addiction. I can't imagine going through withdrawals giving you less anxiety than being on opiates... What is your tolerance like? Are you trying to get off opiates all together? If so, this is the perfect time seeing as they make you anxious.

That seems like a paradoxical reaction to me. If I'm having a panic attack I can stop it with a few lines of heroin. I'm prescribed benzos for my anxiety, but opiates work great too and have an amazing high on top of it.

I'll take opiates for stimulant comedowns all the time. Helps me relax and again stops any anxiety I have. Recently I only had buprenorphine while coming down from meth but it worked wonders.

I too sometimes get an increase in anxious thoughts and almost panic attacks when I use Opiates sometimes. Especially if I've been using Benzos.

Totally paradoxical, I know but it happens.

Heroin erases my anxiety. For me it's like living in every individual second, and in every second things are going as well for me as they could possibly be going. No past and no future.

Heroin erases my anxiety. For me it's like living in every individual second, and in every second things are going as well for me as they could possibly be going. No past and no future.

Hence it's title was the most addictive drug on the planet :D

I've never used recreationally, but oxy prescribed post surgery gave me anxiety, the shaky hands etc. I've never understood why it's so popular.

Yes, opiates make me anxious and nervous unlike stims... Go figure!

The only reason I can think of as to why this happens, is I'm afraid of becoming addicted to them again. But for you I have no idea OP.. Maybe it's just the nature of the beast. If you want to get clean and rid yourself of this ball and chain, now is the perfect time. Your anxiety will improve in the long run.

heroin got its name from the word HEROIC, thats how it makes me feel. like i can do anything.

haha same.. i would always feel strong and ready to take on the day.. but without it.. omg. cant get out of bed. thats why i stopped.. couldnt handle the stress of being a junkie any more.. but i think you are abnormal if opiates give u anxiety.. the only time opiates gave me anxiety was when i didnt have them lol

We're all weirdly wonderful and different. Some things are the same and some are not.

I'm withdrawing off of this shit and feeling rough but so much better than when I was actually on it.

Heroin- it makes me anxious. I have OCD and it actually increases my obsessive thoughts. I might be less bothered by them from intoxication, but my anxiety/ intrusive thoughts would always be heightened when under the influence of an opiate. I know it wasn't a bad batch of heroin- because any opiate/ opioid would have this effect on me- buprenorphine being the worst offender.

Anyone else out there know what I'm talking about? Ever feel anxious whilst high on an opiate?
I know exactly what you are talking about. When I was a hardcore dope addict on top of some anxiety I'd also get to talking uncontrollably fast talking(non stop) and the opiates would give me more of a speed high then a sedated high. I rather enjoyed the speedy part but the anxiety I could do with out!

It's called a paradoxical effect which basically means the drug has the opposite affect it is intended too. It's uncommon but it isn't rare.

Last edited:
I wouldn't label it anxiety. I don't have OCD but when I'm on opiates sometimes I get major obsessive thoughts. I worry about all my problems and every little thing pisses me off. Not always but enough that it can ruin the opiate high.

I can also relate to that. OCD I believe is the culprit. With me it's like anytime I feel good my brain searches for something to worry about and locks on to that. Very annoying but I think the nature of the beast.

EDIT: Sorry noone1, I thought you were the OP. I don't know if you have OCD but that is what I attribute my worried thoughts while on opiates to.

I have OCD and opiates increase my OCD symptoms. Anxiety wise though it erases my anxiety.

YES! Someone finally completely identifies with me. It definitely increases the frequency of my obsessive thoughts, but yea, you tend not to give a shit about them whilst high.... anxiety might have been the wrong way to totally describe this, but it increased my OCD to a GREAT extent.

Have you ever tried Clonidine? It might be just the thing for you, since it's used as both an anti-anxiety medication as well as reducing the severity of opiate withdrawal. I take 0.5 mg daily and it works very well for me - even helping me sleep. The only problem with taking it regularly along with an opiate is that after you develop a tolerance to the Clonidine, missing a dose or running out will actually induce opiate withdrawal. It can also be dangerous if you've been using high doses and suddenly stop, because it causes very severe rebound hypertension.

A couple months ago, I ran out of Clonidine and became more anxious than I've been in YEARS. I also took my blood pressure at a pharmacy. It was 155/115 with a pulse of 133 O_O