• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opiates and self-loathing

GetMeOutOfThisCRAP

Bluelighter
Has anyone else experienced severe depressive episodes a few hours after the feeling of any opiate recedes? You basically feel horrible about everything and I don't know whether the depression is caused by a mechanic within them or it's in my head. :? (I never felt crashes like these during my honey moon phase of discovering them.)

Last edited:
As an avid user of opi?s in the past, I can most definitely relate to what you are describing. During my honeymoon phase, this did not happen or at least to the degree it developed into. It is probably caused by the neurotransmitters involved with opiate use diminishing and your brain attempting to return to baseline. Using opiates compounded my depression and led to more depression and in return more feelings of hopelessness.

So to answer your question, It?s probably on a chemical basis. However, your perception may make it better or worse to some degree imo.

Perhaps ceasing use may help, Methadone has really helped me get my life back and is allowing me to work on my depression. Even just a month ago I was pretty damn depressed bro, but as my substance use has lessened and now consists of Methadone+MMJ, I?ve started to feel better!

I wish you the best of luck man, Feel free to ask any more questions you may have. Feelings of depression can be tough, especially when drugs are in the mix!

Has anyone else experienced severe depressive episodes a few hours after the feeling of any opiate recedes? You basically feel horrible about everything and I don't know whether the depression is caused by a mechanic within them or it's in my head. :? (I never felt crashes like these during my honey moon phase of discovering them.)

I've had severe crippling depression for over 21 years now. Whenever I take Opiates and have a little binge it sort of restarts the whole process. I go through withdrawal and during that time my depression gets so bad I've ended up in fits of crying and images of horrific things happening to loved one's. It's during this time that my suicidal thoughts overwhelme me. On several occasions I've been close to committing suicide... But I'm too much of a coward to follow it through.

The opioid system seems to play a role in depression so it's logical that after the effects wear off may feel depressed for a while