• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opiates and heart rate?

TAVOR

Bluelighter
Yesterday I took 90 mg of DHC and I noticed that my heart rate was faster than usual. I'm generally a bit anxious and I'm also a smoker so I don't know exactly if this factor can contribute, my resting heart rate is usually of 80-85bpm and sometimes my heart beat raises even for stupid things. The first 20 minutes after I took it I didn't notice any change in heart rate but after I had a heart rate of 100-115 bpm and it lasted for 15 minutes. Then it returned to normal (80 bpm) and I was very relaxed for the next 4 hours.

I've read similar threads and I know that certain opioids such as Oxycodone and Tramadol can be stimulating and increase the heart rate, but what about Dihydrocodeine?

Is this just underlying anxiety or do opioids increase heart rate due to the release of endorphins? I read somewhere that Opioids are not cardiotoxic and the real danger comes into play when the heart and respiratory frequency strongly decreases. If anyone has had something similar or any other info feel free to answer.

Thanks in advance

I haven't ever researched it but I'm very familiar with various drugs and anxiety. I recall especially when taking something new if my breathing started to slow noticeably my brain would go into a frenzy worrying if I took too much and that worry would kick in what felt more like an adrenaline release compared to endorphins. Adrenaline raises heart rate so that's what my rationale for it has been.

I feel like some of the stimulating effects can be from all the euphoria too, I know when im high off oxy im so happy im willing to do anything but later ill start nodding when some of the euphoria has reduced.

this happens to me, opiates lower my BP and my heart rate raises for a while til it evens out, this happens with some more than others.

I feel like some of the stimulating effects can be from all the euphoria too, I know when im high off oxy im so happy im willing to do anything but later ill start nodding when some of the euphoria has reduced.
I've read that the stimulating feeling caused by opiates is becauses opiates excite the GABA system which would give you energy (this is the system benzos supress and everyone knows the sedating results of that). This is why opiates can lower the seizure threshold. If the GABA system gets too active you wil have a seizure like what can happen in benzo withdrawal.
DISCLAIMER: I am in no way an expert in this so please do more research and someone correct anything i've said that's wrong.