• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opiates and hairloss

thrash89

Greenlighter
Hi, I was just wondering if hairloss is a side effect of using opiates? I've been losing hair over the past couple of years and I think it's connected, I don't have a patch or anything but it's slightly concerning I've also noticed a few grey hairs too and I think that's a symptom, how can I counter this? Would I have to stop completely for a few months for it to grow back or could I use less and have a better diet? I usually use around 240mg each day and I'm 27. Thanks.

Last edited:
are you a man? If yes, hairloss is very common for men that age and 90% of the time it is male pattern baldness. Are you losing your hair just on top and back or in all your scalp?

are you a man? If yes, hairloss is very common for men that age and 90% of the time it is male pattern baldness. Are you losing your hair just on top and back or in all your scalp?

All over but mostly at the back, I asked my doctor and she said it was drug induced, but I'm wondering if it'll grow back if I cut down instead of quiting all together? I was too scared to ask. What's weird aswell is I have a lot of grey hairs too for some reason and I'm only 27.

I've heard of the opposite effect from using opiates. I use opiates quite a bit and I still have plenty of healthy hair. Also what opiate are you using? All you said was 240mg.

Sounds more like stress then the opiates.

I'd imagine there isn't much correlation here. It's an effect of DHT on the androgen receptor.

I'd imagine there isn't much correlation here. It's an effect of DHT on the androgen receptor.

Could you explain what this means? FYI, when I actually quit for 2 months I stop shredding so much hair, it just didn't grow back so I guess I didn't detox long enough.

Could you explain what this means? FYI, when I actually quit for 2 months I stop shredding so much hair, it just didn't grow back so I guess I didn't detox long enough.
Testosterone is converted into DHT (dihydrotestosterone) in some places in the body, including the testicles and the prostate. DHT is actually more androgenic than testosterone itself, and causes hair loss.

And opioids LOWER your testosterone levels, and should therefore, possibly, lessen the amount of lost hair over time.

The only drug I know of that can cause permanent hair loss in a few; which are not hormones is accutane. are u sure it isnt from constant scratching ( pruitis)<< spellin . 240/per day od what ? Oxyies ?

I use dihydrocodeine and codeine, I've recently stopped again because i've been shredding hairs alot in the shower. Culd this be just stress? I've been noticeably stressed over the past 5 years and that's when my hair started to fall out.

I'm a licensed hairdresser. I will tell you that it is DHT that is the problem. There is a product that cleans the DHT off of your scalp, which is what is needed to stop the hair loss and grow new healthy hair. The product is a shampoo called NIOXIN and a conditioner called NIOXIN scalp therapy. Use both the shampoo and the scalp therapy and within two weeks you will have no more hair loss and will start to regrow beautiful, healthy hair again.

Don't stop using the product or the problem will return. It is not a cheap product. Probably like $30 a bottle. It is a professional product. I have seen it for a bit less. Look around.

I have literally regrown lots of people's hair from complete bald patches that looked to me as if the hair follicles were not even there anymore. I have had so many people come and thank me for this information. I have tried all hair loss products out there on people and this is the only one that I guarantee will have major results. It feels wonderful too. Very minty and tingly and stimulating to the scalp and hair follicles.

I have no problem with hair loss but I love this product and use it to clean pollution (medications, air quality factors etc.) off my hair and also use it to grow my hair very long when I need to cut off damaged hair and leave my hair shorter than I like. It cranks my hair out down to my waist within a month.

Also, don't be afraid to scrub and massage your scalp when you shampoo and condition, brush etc.
People tend to try to be careful with their hair when it is thinning in fear of loosing more but stimulation is exactly what is needed.

This product Nioxin is the only product that cleans the DHT off the scalp and hair. It is well worth the money and a little goes a long way.

Ps- medications can build up on the hair and cause it to be lifeless and give it a very "coated" feeling. It is important to strip (clarify) this stuff off your hair about once a month if you are taking heavy medications. The hair loss is the direct cause of DHT. Also, the grey hairs are caused by stress and genetics. Some people just turn grey early. It has been known to happen that major stress can turn a persons hair grey/white literally overnight. Learn how to do meditation. It is the best stress reliever ever and has major health/spiritual benefits.

Actually we all shed many hairs all the time its all part of nature you have nothing to worry about we all get a lil thinner (on top) as we get older

Atleast you can still use the bathroom and take a crap on your own etc (for now) so you ain't got it that bad mate just make the most of your time.

I've never heard about opiates causing hair loss, but I have heard that heavy drinking could increase hair growth.
Someone mentioned the link between lowered testosterone and hair growth... I believe alcohol in large quantities increases oestrogen production (and presumably lowers testosterone) which increases hair growth.
Perhaps this is why many street drinkers sport big bushy beards and a mass of long unkempt hair..?;-)

I think people here in the west are to privilege always wanting what they can't have never grateful for what they do have worse than spoiled children

Last poster :
That's a very gnomic comment..!
What message are you trying to convey and what is the relevance to the OP regarding opiates and hair loss?

I use dihydrocodeine and codeine, I've recently stopped again because i've been shredding hairs alot in the shower. Culd this be just stress? I've been noticeably stressed over the past 5 years and that's when my hair started to fall out.

Batmannen is right and despite what " Painful One" states, Nioxin is NOT the only solution or shampoo that clears your scalp of excess DHT. first of all topical DHT blockers are dismal at best. systemic circulation and choking off the hair folicle is the problem.
Some do get good results controlling all avenues, systemic and topical. Nizoral 2% reduces DHT levels to a higher degree and also lowers inflamatory cytokines which can inflame then destroy the hair folicle permanently at times. Take Zinc, Saw Palmetto and a very low dose of finasteride. Yes I know all the horror stories with cock block and loss of libido but its an individual thing. some guys and girls have no dimunition of Libido. You can take 1mg/once a week. Yes that low and it will halt large amounts of shedding. Pain killers if anything will increase estrogen, lower testosterone ( precursor of DHT) and raise prolactin which will lower dopamine , which further slows the cycle of LH to testosterone etc.....
You can buy the 2% Nizoral shampoo OTC in Canada or online elsewhere. Last I checked the 1% only was around for the U.S. Higher concentrations can be had online or with a script and a compounding pharmacy

Your problem mostly arises from dryness thrash! So don't worry, as its reversible shedding , loss. even patchy areas of baldness.As hair gets dry, it gets brittle, cracks and falls out at an increased incidence. Most drugs have this effect reported as many do cause dry skin and dry scalp/hair. Even if your not scratching like you got poison Ivy , doesnt mean you dont have dry hair etc..
I suggest Nizoral 2-3 times a week for inflamatory control and use conditioner on alternate days with a good moisturizing shampoo. also clean your hair and scalp with coconut oil , 2-4 x weekly. you'll notice a big difference. Take vitamin E, C and fish Oil or eat more oily fish ( salmon, mackeral, sardines) and more healthy fats in general. Ohh and also buy yourself some Biotin

its coincidence pal, i don't know what your doctor learnt at med school but either she skipped the classes on the hair and scalp or she's probs just telling you that to try and get you off drugs. ༼ ༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ༽

Last edited:
its coincidence pal, i don't know what your doctor learnt at med school but either she skipped the class ones on the hair and scalp or she's probs just telling you that to try and get you off drugs. ༼ ༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ༽

Yeah that was just silly. Some (a lot of) doctors tend to know shit all about opioids :\

Sorry to bump this but I ended up quiting dihydrocodeine and switched to loperimide and it seems like my hair is finally growing back again, it's a lot thicker now (thank god), could it be from all the paracetamol?