• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids opiate tolerance

theatercat

Greenlighter
I had to withdraw from 60 milligrams a day of methadone and 60 milligrams of oxycodone at the end of Feb. 2020. My Dr was arrested for taking kickbacks on subsys. I had been on these medications for pain management for 10 years. Then all of a sudden nothing. Was not pretty got down to 10 milligrams of methadone before I ran out... My question is its been 6 months since I had an opiate. Still in pain jumping thru hoops for a new pain Dr, even with referrals and records. Having gallbladder surgery in two weeks. Will a lower amount of pain medicine work after surgery or is my tolerance still up?

My guess would be that your tolerance is most likely reset. But, the problem with opioids is that once you develop a tolerance it takes very little time to go straight back to previously developed level of tolerance (and withdrawal).

My opinion is that you have window of few days (2-3) when you will react almost like you have never taken opioids. A week is about the period in which you can expect good benefits from lower doses.

I would also suggest that you try to get opioids that you were not accustomed to taking in the past. If you did not take morphine in the past than go for morphine or hydromorphone. Fentanyl patch is another one. Even buprenorphine can be of great help in the first week. If you have that option go for the opioid that you have not used and that is structurally most different from oxycodone (oxymorphone) and methadone.Tapentadol could also be of great help. It is not euphoric, but has great pain killing properties.

This are just estimates and personal experience, but I think that you will have a week or two when lower amount of opioids will be of help. Of course it all depends on your personal make up and the pace at which you will be upping the dosages.

I wish you all the best!

You will feel opiates MUCH more now. But the tolerance will creep back up fast is all due to past usage. Use them sparingly and some pain pills (even the weakest ones) will do you well.

Agreed and only use them when really and i mean really needed. So you can keep the tolerance build up at bay and keep the addiction at bay too

I’m so sorry you’re in the situation you’re in. If you have the option of getting your cholecystectomy late in the day, or last on the surgeon’s schedule for that day, do it. That means you’ll probably stay overnight and speaking from experience, the pain from this surgery is greatest in the first 12 post-op hours. You’ll probably be treated with IV Dilaudid or something similar while inpatient, and that’s when you’re going to need it most.

So scary about your doc getting arrested and you losing access to legitimate pain management. I fear this often as my pain doc appears to be living large and hands out pain meds like a dude wearing a hockey mask handing out candy at his mom’s house on Halloween.

It’s all a train barreling down the track toward a railroad bridge that fell into a deep canyon, I think, when I see his Bentley GT Continental Convertible parked in his “reserved for the doctor” space. I’ve already looked up 2 other pain docs with great ratings to replace him when this all goes south.

Anecdotal tidbit. I recently used fentanyl patches after no opiate use for 7 odd months, two of them, bucally, over the course of a week. 3 days after I finished them, I had 130mg codeine cwe and got definite relief from aches and pains I experience. Aus doctors refuse to give any opiates since codeine when prescription only here. They treat every patient under 30 as a drug seeker every time.

Welcome to the opiate game and the sketchy doctors involved that are often hooked on the good stuff themselves.

Everyone grows complacent with certain scripts--but sadly the way the pharmaceutical/health industry operates there's no telling what the future will bring. The doctor I was prescribed adderall from initially vanished in a quasi-illegal way because he played far too many games with chronic pain patients over the years. Never mess with a chronic pain patients' opioid script. They will smite their doctor with a vengeance :eek: I think you will feel the medication post-surgery just fine... but don't push it if you can and the pain is manageable just to be safe. Opiate tolerance can be all over the place sometimes you know? A good amount of time away from opiates objectively puts your tolerance in a much lower place... which for your unique situation is probably a good thing. Caution is an opiate user's best friend.