• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opiate tolerance affecting alcohol tolerance?

novafox

Greenlighter
Hey all! I have a question I can't seem to find answered through search or elsewhere.
I've been off of a heroin habit(and near the end, a 3 month fent habit) for about 2 months now, which I'm very happy about, but I have a question;
I used to HATE alcohol before. I would only get drunk a few times a year, because i didn't like being drunk and it always made me feel like crap after 8 or so shots. I would yak about 2/5 times after going to a party, and I could NEVER sleep after I drank for about 8 hours because my mind would be racing similar to amps when you're trying to sleep(i know, it was a weird symptom that only I seemed to get)
I noticed that ever since I quit opiates 2 months ago I've been a MANIAC drinker. I can down about 750 ml of 40% over a day with no hangover, sleep(somehow) and still continue to drink right when I wake up(I, of course, try to limit my drinking, don't want to trade one addiction for another, however I did drink a bunch every day during w/ds to get over the habit). I've sorta assumed it's because of the liver damage I succumbed to with my habit, but since I haven't heard about this from anyone I thought I'd ask BL if they might have any ideas as to what it could be.

Last edited:
Opiates and alcohol seem to not go together well on a number of levels. As i got into opiates, i got turned off more and more to alcohol. Getting older is part of that too though. I'm not going to slam down 10 beers at 45 like i did at 25.

Chemically they don't go well together either. Besides the physical dangers of mixing and passing out, etc, opiates slow down the metabolism, making even a couple of drinks feel kind of poisonous, like hitting your liver with a left and a right.

But top of that list for me, is thst alcohol is a very sloppy, one dimensional kind of high. Opiates are more introspective, pleasurable, comfortable. They don't seem to "fit" well with each other.

You put this all together and there's this big clash that goes on, body and mind. It's like, "pick one".