• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Discussion Opiate Panic

Where do you live that you can buy codeine? Heck even with tylenol or motrin, I still wish we could buy codeine. There's always kratom I guess but its not the same.... but whenever I have a cough the doctors never give hydrocodone or codeine anymore, when I was really young I'd get one or the other, hydro if really bad, codeine if it was just a cough.
UK, but you can only buy combinations otc, which all contain about 200 mg of ibuprofen or 500 of paracetamol, for only a measly 12.8 mg of codeine per tablet. If you haven't got the knowledge, opportunity or simple PATIENCE to perform cold water extraction, think of what potential damage you can do to yourself.

PS I nearly died once trying to get high on these things when I ALREADY had a big opiate tolerance.

I got morphine shots for a chest tube but they switched me to toradol pretty soon. I was surprised because I told them I was an addict but I definitely wasn't free of pain. I left the hospital on a sublocade shot but it was Yale .. one of the best hospitals in the country.
I would argue Cornell or Sloan kettering in Manhattan is better taking with Penn Medicine

UK, but you can only buy combinations otc, which all contain about 200 mg of ibuprofen or 500 of paracetamol, for only a measly 12.8 mg of codeine per tablet. If you haven't got the knowledge, opportunity or simple PATIENCE to perform cold water extraction, think of what potential damage you can do to yourself.

PS I nearly died once trying to get high on these things when I ALREADY had a big opiate tolerance.
Wow.... 12.8.... thats like, a total joke. I'd have to take 300 for any sort of analgesia I'm sure. I have no problem with a CWE, like i said combos are better than nothing... but i could see some poor (and I don't mean like people with very little money) people really fucking themselves. My buddy the other day swallowed 12 percocet in front of me about a month ago and I lectured him for about 30 minutes, but he just kept minimizing it and stating doctors exaggerate. There are doctors on this forum, yeah?

The hydrocodone syrup i used to get was amazing for bad cough, and they had put something in it that prevented you from going above 10mgs.... i dont remember what it was called.

I also remember getting tylenol 4s which I enjoyed post surgery, I asked for a refill of my vicodin 10s and the doctor looked at me with that look... and I said "5s?" He said nothing and wrote a script for tylenol 4s. They weren't half bad. I dont mind codeine at all. I miss the days of easy scripts... I think we are all in this position because people can't take responsibility for their own idiotic choices (like my buddy).

Last edited:
As an aside I realize ibuprofen isn't an opiate but I almost died when I got ulcers that bled heavily and later my stomach acid literally was seeping into my body, from a hole from ibuprofen. Be cautious with NSAIDS. I got lucky that I he'll
I went through the exact same thing in July. Scary as hell. Like you I also got a hole in my stomach (2.5 inches). and it turned into sepsis. I was in a lot of pain but what made me go to the ER was the mental confusion. The surgeon said if I had waited 3-4 more hours I wouldn’t have survived. So long story short…admitted with the gastric tear, sepsis and kidney failure. In the ICU for 4 days then 2 more weeks in the hospital.
As an aside I realize ibuprofen isn't an opiate but I almost died when I got ulcers that bled heavily and later my stomach acid literally was seeping into my body, from a hole from ibuprofen. Be cautious with NSAIDS. I got lucky that I lived.
I went through the exact same thing in July last year. Admitted with gastric opening, sepsis and kidney failure. I had 3 surgeries that left 29 staple scars from the top of my chest down to below my stomach. I ended up staying 16 days in the hospital. The first thing they asked me is if I take Ibuprofen and how much. I didn’t think I took it THAT much. I couldn’t believe a trusted OTC could do that much damage. Glad you made it trough too.

I genuinely feel the OP’s & everyone else’s frustrations with this, indeed OPIATE PANIC It is everywhere And it’s also nudging it’s way into my low dose anxiety medication

currently I am in the hospital for a extremely rare intestinal disease flare up which i had incredible amounts of surgery for… full colectomy etc. resecting And reforming my gutty work on and off from birth til I was in my teens

first off the First dr I saw cut my legitimate anxiety medication to a 1/4 of what I was being Prescribed at home …horrific

second the dr wouldn’t even think about giving me phenergan for my N D V just pissant zopran …wonderful

third the dr wouldn’t allow me to have a single dose of Norco 5 up until I started profusely vomiting shaking and bawling
finally the head nurse gave me a Iv dose of phenergan taking the edge off all the pain and after the dr got sick of hearing me scream finally started me on a 1 mg of Iv diluadid and was a tremendous relief although temporary

trust me I’ve dealt with this since I was born it was much easier back then where they pumped morphine into like it was sodium chloride Now it’s like a billion flaming hoops just to get a little relief

I don’t know what it’s like for cancer patients but it’s just a huge situation that seems to keep getting worse and literally sometimes wish I was never born in this time

the sad story never ends people my best tip is to always have a good hash/bud vendor and/or a good PCP
stay strong but we gotta keep writing about our experiences and band together as Pink Floyd’s song goes

“Together WE STAND divided WE FALL!”

A friend of mine is a lawyer in the US. Her speciality is defending doctors who are accused of overprescribing opioids. 99% of the time she just looks at the demographics of area the doctor's surgery and point out that their were statistically likely to be more people requiring opioids.

That she sees that so often tells me that the DEA just look at the numbers and if it's greater than the average, presume foul play.

So I'm going to speculate that hospitals get the same treatment. Too much IV opioid prescribing and someone is in trouble. But no doubt the DEA have a set of 'handy tips' for spotting drug-seeking behaviors.

But if someone is puking, clearly pills are inappropriate. Before now I've asked to speak to the registrar (politely) and since they are the most senior medical professional in the building, they tend to be GOOD DOCTORS.

A pain-management nurse told me I could just stop applying fentanyl patches after having been on them for 18 months. Registrar arrives, listens, alters record and exits. That nurse didn't go back to the ward I was on for a week at least (well - until I had gone). I KNOW everyone else on that ward saw (or at least heard) the entire thing.

Oh - but if at all possible, have someone else act as advocate. If THEY ask, the medication isn't given to them, so they can't be drug seeking. My wife bailed me out after I was given morphine... and morphine does NOTHING for me. Codeine is better. But they insisted morphine, she determined that since my medical records clearly showed morphine didn't work on me, they better think again. They did - with the lack of grace only medical professionals can muster when proven to be wrong.

eh... that inevitably leads to the average getting more and more sctrict also

DEA is nuts

BINGO! I'm glad I didn't need to spell that out, but obviously. It's a race to the bottom.

Can I ask why hydromorphone is the go-to opioid in hospitals? Is it cost? Asking for an IV of something LESS potent might be one route. I was amazed at how effective parenteral paracetamol (acetaminophen) was. It's dissolved in 1000mL is used in a drip.

If it's pain - don't forget that paracetamol is also centrally acting... and if you are still in agony, well, you have shown you were happy to try a non-opioid first.

Just my opinion.

I have not read everything here...but current policy is insanity. This is actually not my first post....I have been a member for a while but forgot my old handle so I had to re-register. I originally came on here because after 20 plus years of sobriety (I am an alcoholic....but have not had a drink in 34 years) I decided to smoke pot again. Strangely, I found that I no longer like marijuana and it was incredibly easy to stop. However, I am now 61, a retired competitive bodybuilder but I still work out 5-6 days a week and occasionally I need a pain reliever. I have a ton of injuries but they are manageable....however I have Plantar fasciitis and some days it can be excruciating. On those days, and those days only I might take some Kratom, or at night a Tramadol or 2. It totals out to be about twice a week when I need a little help. I posted up a year or two about this and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever. I might take 2-3 Tramadol in a week, max, and maybe 8 grams of Kratom...max. In fact I take less now than I did a year ago. I absolutely have zero problems with opioids and only take them when needed.

Similarly, I take valium...once, maybe twice a week, max. Maybe once a week I have insomnia and I will take 5-7 mgs and it works great for me. I only do it if I have been lying in bed for more than an hour. I coach a local wrestling club, and at this part of the year I have to get up early on Saturdays. On Friday night I take 1 10 mg Valium so that I can get to sleep early as it is a hectic 10-12 hour day of me coaching (not counting a long drive). So I am taking maybe 2 valium a week.

I had 2 underground sources for these drugs, and now they have dried up, so I am looking into finding a doctor. Well guess what...it seems I have a better chance of flapping my hands and flying to the Moon. Its nuts. Not everyone is an addict. My friend takes 1 or 2 valium a week, has been doing so for years.

Doctors and Politicians are way more concerned about protecting their bottom line (money) than they are about us.

Here is one: I had HORRIBLE Pneumonia. A terrible cough and the worst migraine headache ever. I am known for having a high tolerance for pain (MMA 17 years, facial reconstruction and other surgeries). This pain was inhumanly bad, and my doctor....who I loved until that point (I had been his patient for 5 years) refused to give me any cough syrup. Just straight up let me suffer horribly, and he was a great doc until this point (went to Yale).

I NEVER had any history of opiod addiction either.

I presume you had tried DXM which you can buy at a pharmacy (in many nations)? It seems like their are many non-opioid cough medications scattered around the globe. Odd things like nepinalone. But maybe he presumed you were inferring that you sought and opioid.

Because it has to be said, asking for an opioid is likely to be considered 'drug-seeking behavior'. What a stupid term. If I have a headache and ask for ibuprofen, THAT'S equally 'drug-seeking behavior' but I bet nobody ever says 'no'.

The race is clearly on to stop a whole generation being exposed to opioids of any sort, but when you are as old as us, codeine linctus is what your grandmother kept in the medicine cabinet for coughs!

No idea....I just had pneumonia...I was not thinking "I need an opioid" I just needed cough syrup. The only time I ever touched an opioid was when I had surgeries and I never really enjoyed "the high." Honestly, I never understood the appeal of opioids, I only wanted the pain to stop. That is what they are for, and it is a shame they are withheld from people who really need them. I probably will stop coaching because of the pain in my feet, and that is a shame because wrestling is such a great sport for kids and there is a shortage of clubs/coaches. It really is just a big ball of stupidity.

I just needed cough syrup.

Oh yeah - I don't doubt it. But it appears that even wording is now screened. That whole 'purple drank' thing got out of hand so the word 'syrup' was likely the trigger. I truly think your doctor presumed you were seeking an opioid.

I'm basically stuck on oxycontin (well, UK generic) for the rest of my life. I live alone and I can't physically get out of bed due to the pain. I wish I didn't need them. Because while I don't like the side effects (anxiety for me), I'm a bit stuck'.

I hope you keep going for a long time. It IS good for kids to have such outlets. I think being part of a team is an important lesson. I think that kids need to find something they are good at to build self-confidence is important.

I believe the unattributed but accurate Chinese saying 'A teacher for a day is a parent for life' to be true. For some kids, you might be their best role model.

Look after yourself and if their is some crazy technical detail you ever need for a medicine, that's what I do here. I'm always glad to help.

I am so very sorry to hear about your situation. Really, what I need to do is be grateful that I have been on the upside of the Earth for the last 61 years. My problems are quite small, I k=just, like so many others, tend to blow them out of proportion.

And yes...wrestling is the best thing for kids, and also the toughest sport they can do. It builds discipline, mental and physical toughness, fitness, and many other good things.

You are in the UK, I am not sure if you have the same level of hysteria there as we do here regarding opioids.I might take you up on your expertise sometimes.