• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opiate dependency and psychedelics

Squatter Jones

Greenlighter
I know I'm new here but I lived in a crack house for awhile and woke up to drugs being served to me on a mirror, every day. I know I was addicted to cocaine but I managed to say no from pure will power and a few other things. I don't get to trip on LSD so I had utter silence in my head but that was also a high. Long story short, I managed to get clean of opiates by taking psychedelics. It's a little fucked up, I know. I want to hear from others, to know a little more about this reaction and useage of a psychedelic

You might want to use the search engine to look up Ibogaine and Ayhuasca and how they have helped people to get and stay clean. Interesting stuff really.

Ibogaine is a unique thing, has a very, very promiscuous receptor affinity, which is to say that it acts almost like a "reset button" on the brain with respect to addictions to heroin and many other things.

Ayahuasca is questionable and the culture around it is even more questionable. It is much safer to simply obtain DMT and an MAOI and avoid all the shamanic crap. I would not recommend it. I would condemn and recommend against in the strongest possible terms any use in a ceremonial context.

More traditional psychedelics, like LSD, have been investigated for the purposes of dealing with things like alcoholism; psilocybin, which is the most common research psychedelic du jour, has some interesting research coming out of Johns Hopkins dealing with things even like addiction to cigarettes all the way on to anxiety at the end of life.

There is potential there, but there is also a lot of potential for delusion. Many, many, frequent users of psychedelics that I know or have known have been at the same time prolific users of heroin (if not outright junkies) and other "hard drugs," for people who are inclined to the latter, especially people who are pretty deep in the drug culture where the can obtain both easily, they in fact just as often go hand-in-hand as they are therapeutic.

There is a potential in more classical psychedelia for some kind of self-realization and peak experience where you may realize the negativity of certain paths you are on in life &c. but ultimately, it is up to you to continue that, and the heights of realization you may have realized will fade giving way to either (a) a continual attempt to return to the same with psychedelics, resulting in diminishing returns and eventually just getting spun out with no real self-realization or "spirituality" (a term I dislike in referene to drugs) or anything else; or (b) just nothing, after sufficient time has passed. Use of psychedelics as therapy belong in a clinical context, or at least in a supportive context; taking any psychedelic alone is not really going to cut it in terms of stopping prior bad habits.

Ibogaine is a possible exception but it is an ardurous and potentially dangerous experience, and again is best done under the supervision of experts. The problem is, that being largely an underground phenomenon, connecting with legitimate experts and differentiating them from the charlatans can be a difficult task (so too ayahuasca, but ayahuasca is almost entirely a business run by charlatans, and thus best avoided), there are some resources for this, some better than others. Dmitri Mugianis, although in the past few years he has gone a bit off the deep end in terms of "going native" with the African tribes, etc. is a guy who I have met who is pretty well known and has legitimate guidance, if you keep your B.S. filter on (an essential thing in the whole venture, and with regards to psychedelics in general.)