• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

One month suboxone use question

Tajaodan

Greenlighter
Hey guys just had a few questions i couldnt really find anywhere else on the forums. Have been using 4-6 mg of sub a day for about a month. Question is would it be better jus to do a rapid taper down a few days then jus jump off instead of tapering and dragging out the whole process even longer and possibly making the w/d worse than it needed to be due to longer duration of time on the sub? And also at 1 month of 4-6 mg a day how bad of a withdrawal am i looking at? Anything will help ease my mind thanks guys

First of all, I don't think anyone can say how you as an individual will react. On one hand a month isn't such a long time that would make me think that it's better to do a month long taper, but on the other hand daily dosages in the range of 4-6mg is quite a bit of bupe. So let me put it this way, is there any harm in trying to do a rapid taper? Because I definitely think you can develop a worse addiction/dependency and therefore possibly withdrawal too by dragging out the process at least. Think of it like, someone has been on it for 2-3 years, let's say 2.5 years or 30 months. Even if they do a 3 month taper, it would only be 10% of the time they had been on bupe thus far, which would equal a 3 day taper to your 30 days of use. If you were to do a 2 week taper that would already mean a roughly 50% extension to the duration you are exposed to bupe, which would be over a year or 15 months long taper for the person who was on it for 30 months. Of course this comparison is unfair because 15 months alone is longer by an order of a magnitude when compared to 1.5 months, but perhaps it can provide you with some perspective.

My key take away is, if I were you I would probably be optimistic that one month doesn't necessarily equal too bad withdrawal especially if you don't have a long history with opioids already. Doing a taper that lasts a few days would likely result in easier withdrawal than a taper than lasts for a few weeks. There is no magical duration where you are guaranteed easy or harsh withdrawal, but generally I find that a lot of people have had the experience that when you approach 2 months of bupe it can be a daunting task (even if the second months was mostly tapering down), while withdrawal after 1 month of use can be much more manageable relatively speaking with a rapid taper of few days.

Hopefully this can be of help, just remember that everyone tends to have a unique reaction.

Thank you so so much!! Now in your opinion what should my taper plan be then for a rapid taper. I think you are right with this being the better way besides dragging it out longer. Thank you for your help FnX

There is no harm at all in me doing a rapid taper. Sorry forgot to mention that. Honestly is my preference to do it that way because i want to stop before i look up and a year has gone by. For the past 2 days ive done about 3-4 mg a day. I do say 1.5 in am and 1.5 before bed.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with comming off a month of suboxone?

Has anyone else had a similar experience with comming off a month of suboxone?

I did. You should read my post on how to quit suboxone. I wrote the mg you should drop week by week to make it easier. You can read it here: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/828077-Here-is-some-good-SUBOXONE-info-to-HELP-YOU-QUIT!

With that said, you have to remember suboxone stacks in your system because of it's long half life. If you took 6mg to day, then when you take 6mg tomorrow, you STILL have 3mg left in your system. Meaning on day 2 you actually now have 9mg of suboxone in your system. For that reason it is better to stop and/or taper as soon as possible. Because of the long half-life of suboxone (24-60) hours the intensity of the withdraw is pretty much the same for everyone. What is different is the duration. The higher the dose is you jump off from the longer the withdraw.

Jumping off at 1-.25mg is usually ideal. The best way to taper is to drop an amount (refer to my guide for the right amount) then give yourself 3 days to adjust to the new amount (with VERY mild withdraw). After you are stable at the new amount keep taking it for 5 more days, then repeat the drop process. At some point between 1-.25mg you'll find you can't go lower. You'll hit an amount that, even if you never did an opiate in your life, is still too low to work anymore. For me that was .5mg (I'm 5'11" 170lbs). When you see that after 3 days you're not stabilizing then it means you found the amount to jump off of.

When you quit you will feel pretty fine the first 2 days. Days 3-5 will be the real withdrawal. Days 6-10 will be the upswing, with days 10+ being done with physical withdrawals. After that it's just matter of how happy you are with your life which will decide if you feel depression or anything like that. Whatever it is it will be psychological and only fixable by working to become a better version of yourself.

To aid with the withdraw you can look up using Kratom or the Thomas recipe.

So guys im about to start. And im really scared. Ive been pushing it off and off and its time To actually just do it. Any suppport would be greatly appreciated. Its been about 35-40 days on 4-6 mg a day.