• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Ondansetron to taper opiods

Are you confusing ondansteron with something else? What benefits would there be?

Through enzyme inhibition?

I think (x) amount of milligrams of (y) opiate = (x - tapered amount)mg of (y) + (y)potentiater

Basically the body seems to recognise a certain amount of opioid effect no matter how that effect is achieved, and bio"hacking" in this way does not work physically, in my experience anyway.

You have to pay the piper in the end.

I would look in genuine methods like
Gradual taper
Switching to a shorter acting opioid (if on something like methadone) and doing a rapid or slow taper from the new opioid.
Using comfort meds to make cold turkey more bearable (warm turkey)
Being aware that using drus like lyrica, gabapentin or benzos while effective should be used sparingly and with caution as they have withdrawal symptoms of their own and you do not want to switch one addiction for another.

Best of luck

I am quite confused by this question... I take Ondansetron (Zofran) on a daily basis & am familiar with the medication. Zofran is generally used as an anti-emetic to the best of my knowledge. At least that's the indication I've always used it for. Sublingual or IV depending on the situation.

Personally I find it to be a godsend in terms of nausea. By itself though I don't see how it would be useful as a taper medicatio?

It is a useful adjunct; however. Please clarify your question so that we may better answer it. My apologies if I'm missing something simple but I just don't understand the question as stated.

Tryptamite has posted some useful information that is applicable to tapering; hopefully that helps in the meantime. :)

I am quite confused by this question... I take Ondansetron (Zofran) on a daily basis & am familiar with the medication. Zofran is generally used as an anti-emetic to the best of my knowledge. At least that's the indication I've always used it for. Sublingual or IV depending on the situation.

Personally I find it to be a godsend in terms of nausea. By itself though I don't see how it would be useful as a taper medicatio?

It is a useful adjunct; however. Please clarify your question so that we may better answer it. My apologies if I'm missing something simple but I just don't understand the question as stated.

Tryptamite has posted some useful information that is applicable to tapering; hopefully that helps in the meantime. :)
Studies have suggested it helps u taper off opiates. I've personally only needed 20% of my usual opioids when on ondansetron. It's something to do with the htp serotonin or something!

Studies have suggested it helps u taper off opiates. I've personally only needed 20% of my usual opioids when on ondansetron. It's something to do with the htp serotonin or something!

I've never noticed any need for less opioids when using ondansetron. I'm quite curious as to this. I was going to ask you for links but in the meantime I found a thread here & some links to studies. It doesn't look to me like anything really ever came out of it though based on the studies I ran into.

Anecdotally I've tried the higher doses mentioned in the studies & never had it lower my withdrawal's other than it's anti-emetic effect. Everyone is different though I guess. I'm curious to see if anyone more knowledgeable will chime in. I recognize the members from the first thread on here but am struggling to remember some of there credentials so to speak.

Oh well. Not to important on my end. Just an academic curiousity, ;)

Maybe, it works for some people. I don't have an experience combining Ondansetron with opiates either but some say that 5-HT3 receptor agonists like Ondansetron increases the effects of opiates. I would also like to warn you about the increased risk of Serotonin Syndrome when Ondansetron is combined with opioids.

Maybe, it works for some people. I don't have an experience combining Ondansetron with opiates either but some say that 5-HT3 receptor agonists like Ondansetron increases the effects of opiates. I would also like to warn you about the increased risk of Serotonin Syndrome when Ondansetron is combined with opioids.

I'm aware of Serotonin Syndrome. Especially when it involves medications I take on a regular basis including both ondansetron & opioids but it's worth pointing out. I've never had an issue with it myself. Despite using it with various opioids over the years. I also had it IV tons of times at the hospital at the same time as opioids. Actually they are often given in the same push from my experience. So I'm not sure how often this actually occurs. 🤔

Perhaps with an extremely serotogenic opioid there might be issues but I'd have to examine the literature to see exactly how risky this actually is in praticaly. It's usually best to use caution though. :)