• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Once you quit smoking how do you keep your friends that smoke?

Lowonmoderate

Greenlighter
We all have those friends that everytime you chill you end up smoking pile what would you suggest to keep those friends (and see them as frequently) if you guys couldn't smoke pile while chilling anymore?

i dont see my friends as much as i used to when we used to drive to our dealers house together, or smoke together

but i still see them and we watch movies and talk etc, they will still have a joint or 2, i just say no thx

its easier if you have a drink and an ecig to use, or cigs if you smoke

if you friends get high a lot, like a lot. you probably wont want to hang out with them as much because you wont be in that same headspace, or you would be annoyed my them

if you're will power isn't too good, you might cave in a few times and just say fuck it i'll hit the joint, so you might have to not see your friends for the first month.

Just enjoy the smell like it's incense. That's about all there is to it really.

Might be difficult if you want to smoke but can't though.

Eh....

I've always figured that if I don't have any common threads with a person other than we like to smoke tree together, they're a smoke buddy. With friends, I don't have to have a reason to hang out with them. Enjoying their company is enough.

With a smoke buddy, there's pretty much no reason to get together if the other no longer smokes.

Just how I've always looked at it.

honestly for the most part no. I hang around with a lot of heavy smokers so to stop smoking completely is a big change. Usually most people quit smoking weed for some sort of job or because they are having kids, so most of the time it comes with a big lifestyle change. I'm sure it gets old for someone who is sober to be around a bunch of people completely baked all the time. It would be like being around a bunch of drunks if you didn't drink in a way.

There definitely are a small handful that I will hopefully keep in contact with until the day that I die. A small handful, but I think those are the people that weed was always there, but it was more in the background. Like Jibult said, with those people weed was definitely part of our friendship but it was more about the things we were getting into while stoned rather than just about getting stoned.

I think in the long run drugs can make friendships more complicated. It's not really a problem until it becomes a problem, if that makes sense. When someone decides they don't want to do it anymore, for whatever reasons, it is hard to make that change individually when you are still part of that group that isn't trying to change in the same way that you are.

Like Mafioso said, most people quit smoking weed for a reason. Either kids, or wanting to get a good job etc. When I quit, I tried to keep my stoner friends. They offered me joints every time I came over, after about a month we lost contact. I got a good paying job, also got put on suboxone. I could not afford to fail a piss test at either of these locations. All my "friends" pretty much abandoned me when they realized I wouldn't be contributing to smoke anymore. I feel like a lot of them aren't really friends in the traditional sense anyway. They all hang out, smoke, talk for about an hour or two, then leave. If there's no smoke around, they dont hang out.

If your only connection to your "friends" is your interest in doing drugs together, they arent friends. You need to have more common interests than drugs.

If your only connection to your "friends" is your interest in doing drugs together, they arent friends. You need to have more common interests than drugs.

This.

Most my friends were friends before we all started smoking, so when I quit it wasn't a big deal. To start with I avoided them as the temptation to smoke was too great for me and the 'erb was doing little for my head at the time. Now it's fine, I see them, if I don't smoke it's fine, makes little difference to conversation. In the evening If I see them, I'll take a few beers round etc...

The only real thing I guess, is now I don't smoke cannabis, I find myself wanting to be more active, rather than sitting infront of a TV playing xbox... they're still my friends, we still have the same interests, we still talk, they just prefer to chill more than me aha.

I never had an issue with it. Got put on probation for 2 years and just quit, still hung around my friends even rolled blunts but never partook. Its just self control, sure id have a 40 and get buzzed, but i didnt smoke. Its the same when i quit dope and was on subs, because the sickness was gone it was easy to say no.

Just stop thinking your missing out on something. Im not telling you to go to a drug den and sit there while everyone gets high, but if your buddies play poker or watch movies stoned just excuse yourself for those 10 minutes or whatever. If they are chronic smokers just try to take steps to get use to it. You should never isolate yourself to avoid a drug, i feel that is bad because drugs are everywhere, eventually you will have to "slay the dragon before it awakens" if you will. It could be 10 years down the road but somewhere at sometime someone is going to be doing whatever it is you quit and you will have to face it.

Wait.. you're saying there can be other kinds of friends too? :D

Those guys with careers and families and shit? They always say they're busy or whatever.

At my advanced age (ahem) I appreciate that some questions that would once have made perfect sense to me, no longer do.
Once upon a time I would have said that I had hundreds of friends now I would to struggle to name five and everyone else (and there are still hundreds) is just an aquaintance or a crony or a whatever. Real friends are few and far between, set your standards high because you are going to have to trust them at some point whilst vulnerable.
You will know who your real friends are in thirty years time because they will still be your friends and it wont matter if they smoke or not any more than it will matter who they vote for or what their favourite colour is. You don't have to do anything at all to make this happen other than be yourself.