• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Oldest mushrooms you've taken *and still tripped*?

MinnimumEffectiveDose

Greenlighter
Title pretty much says it all, but I guess I'm asking about shelf stability of psilocybin...? Mine are at room temp (some are vacuum sealed, others are not) and have been for a looooooong time. Throw them out, or keep holding on just in case?

each species will last a different amount of time the ones which are vaccum sealed should be still be good. I stored mine at room temp in a airtight jar no vacuum sealed bags and they retained potency for 8 months til i ate them all eventually. Just grab a hand full of vacuum sealed ones and eat them and throw out the rest to determine how potent they are.

I once brewed up a couple of hundred Liberty caps (simmered in a pan of water for 20 minutes or so then strained) with a view to taking them that night, but for some unforgotten reason I didnt get the chance. So not wishing to waste them, I poured the liquid into an empty beer bottle, sealed with an airtight stopper and placed in the fridge.

About a year later, I split the contents of this bottle with a friend and proceeded to have one of the strongest most other worldly trips I've ever experienced. It was totally devoid of physical side effects and was quite sedating in that I couldn't keep my eyes open and had no desire or need to move for the duration of the trip. The CEVs were phenomenal and no headfuck. I actually turned into a starship that night and flew through a wormhole into an alternate universe that pulsated with colour, eventually arriving in orbit around a massive planet along with millions of other sentient starships, where we received instructions from the creator on how to engineer planets to sustain life.

It really was a trip in the truest sense of the word.

I'm not saying this method of storage is advisable due to the risk of bacterial and other fungal growth, but the potency was certainly not diminished, if anything it was enhanced.

Ok so my friend told me he found a year old vacuum sealed mushrooms and you can still smell them through the bag. Will they still make you trip???

I've had several years old (3-4 years at least) liberty caps and noticed no loss in potency. If compleatly dry and stored dark potency should remain for decades. I think I've heard this from Paul Stamets - the worlds leading authority on psilocybin containing mushrooms. Do not eat if mouldy though.

As long as they are dry or dehydrated they will stay potent for years or decades. For myself I ate shrooms that were at least a year old or a year and a half old and they were fine and did not decrease in potency. They were Psilocybin mushrooms.

Bein fully dehydrated is the most important factor. For very long term storage, powder, compress into a vial or vac seal then freeze. Let the pack defrost fully before opening again to reduce considensation isues.

I like this thread. I've got a couple of sealed jars of liberty caps I've been saving for a 'rainy day'. Sounds like I should assume good potency 😊😊

Yes, you can fit much more into the jar when powderized compared to the odd shapes of the dried fruits.

I can't tell, but i may have a chance to find out. I have three flushes of Golden Teacher, stored dried, dark, in plastic bags (not vacuumed) but at room temperature for almost a year now. :( They are still dry, but not perfectly crisp/bone-dry anymore. So there seem to get some air and moisture in there (they are not moldy or something). I hate the idea of wasting them!

I've done the mentioned method of crushing/pulverizing and stuffing them into small container (then freezing) before , but i'm not so fond about that anymore. Isn't that massively increasing the surface to oxidate?

@F.U.B.A.R. : You speak of "couple of hundred Liberty caps", then split in two. Doesn't that still mean there was a significant potency loss, even though you tripped starships?

I'm not a big fan of varying potency, so a liquid extract (..but don't like alcohol) or mixed powder still seem appealing to me. Hm.

@F.U.B.A.R. : You speak of "couple of hundred Liberty caps", then split in two. Doesn't that still mean there was a significant potency loss, even though you tripped starships?

What makes you say that? My standard dose of dried libs was 80 - 120 and they never sent me as far as that one time.

What makes you say that? My standard dose of dried libs was 80 - 120 and they never sent me as far as that one time.
True, ..was a wobbly estimate. It just sounded like a huge quantity, deducing from the average psilocybe and human intake. I didn't know your effective doseage nor the size and potency of you shrooms. So would you say the 'tea-method' preserved them decently then? I might try this out myself for the first time. Key seems to not destroy them while simmering, storage as liquid in a dark cool place sounds pretty save. Freezing it would eliminate something growing inside as well.

Edit: Sorry, you basically already answered my question..

Last edited:

Not that our ancestors had digital scales but measuring dosage by number of fruits isnt very accurate...

Because liberty caps are tiny and you need a lot using numbers isn't far out - usually a gram will turn out to be pretty close to 40 shrooms. I've had shrooms 6 or more years old - they were weak though

From my understanding, it's oxidation that degrades them, so if you keep them in jam or something similar, they should stay potent longer.