View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Old Shrooms worth it?

nuube

Bluelighter
Hi all. I recently came across some home grown magic mushrooms, (the variety escapes me) that I think are about 3 years old! They were wrapped in kitchen roll and in a tin which the lid had fallen off. The mushrooms were exposed to the air but are very dry.

I was wondering if it was worth it and safe to take them?

Any views? Anyone take old mushrooms and have decent effects?

Thanks for reading.

I think they should still be pretty good. I had saved mushrooms for 3+ years and were told they were very good. I gifted them to my cousin and didn't partake. Some were in a baggy in closet but most were in a mason jar. Maybe some slight degradation but I imagine they'd still be pretty solid for you.

The only worry there is they were exposed to air.

I have heard because mushrooms are a fungus they can become easily contaminated with airborn fungal spores.

Could they be okay to eat? Yea maybe. Maybe just inspect them for foreign looking substances :) i doubt they got that savage while sitting around.

If they were dried properly, they should be fine to take.
I've definitely had dried mushrooms that were over a year old, and they were fine

They've not been stored in optimal conditions, by the sounds if it - exposure to air (and/or moisture) may reduce the potency somewhat - but as to how effective they are, the best way to find out is to try them.

Just make sure you carefully check for mould, as others suggested. If there is any sign of them having gone mouldy, i would dispose of them - because getting sick during a mushroom trip is not fun.

i would say, however, that if you're expecting them to have lost some potency, don't assume that you need to take way more than you usually would.
I made this mistake once with some acid i'd had kicking around for ages.
Turned out not to have lost much potency at all (if any) - so i had a pretty fucking intense trip. It's best to assume they're still as potent as they ever were :)

Last edited:
Not sure what I would be looking for but the shrooms look as good as any I've had, (mind you....). They were from a grow box dried in an airing cupboard and then I got my hands on a heap of Lysergides and forgot about them :).

They are crispy in parts a bit more rubbery in others but no signs of discolouration or growth. Looks like enough for a tidy trip but iirc they weren't the most mind blowing - maybe some 4-HO-MET for a booster if things turn out dull? :)

Thanks for taking the time to respond guys, cheers.

Depends on the atmosphere: the humidity inside the house where the were stored. With humid air, too much exposure can cause the mushrooms to absorb moisture over time and they wouldn't be cracker dry. Any water present can attract fungi and bacteria. You'd be looking for spots that look out of place and are not just bruises.
With very dry air it would be better, although the oxygen still degrades the alkaloids. Very old mushrooms can still be active, although a bit less so, also it may be a bit more dull if more psilocin is broken down than psilocybin, possibly. Fresh mushrooms seem to produce more of an aggressive visual and rapid comeup, possibly for that reason.

As long as it doesn't look like anything grew on or in the mushrooms it should be ok.

Yeah just look like ordinary mushrooms. Air probably quite dry but as said same are rubbery to the touch some crumbly.

As a point of interest how bad can contaminated mushrooms be and would a tea help reduce any risks?

I actually think boomers i store for multiple months after drying that they seem to get stronger. Its probably placebo but man old shrooms will send me to the moon and back!

As long as they are not moldy, and are fully dried they will be fine. Do they crack when you break them in half?

I have taken dried mushrooms that were a year or two old, and they still worked great. But they were completely dried, and in an air tight container.

Last edited:
They can't get stronger cause there are no more alkaloids being produced when the fungus is dead. To be fair, in some cases (not in this type of case though), drying fungus tissue only puts it in stasis and it can be reanimated by rehydrating and properly propagating. :) Still, in stasis it wouldn't produce psilocin.
[I tried to argue with someone in OD over a similar point: whether an organism is still considered to be alive in stasis (in that case it was about bacteria which can turn into endospores when dried). It seems unreasonable to call it dead, it's not ready to reproduce but still has the potential to. Different from calling a virus unalive, because the reason then is that a virus cannot reproduce itself but hijacks reproductive systems of organisms that can. So it's just 'alive by proxy'. Anyway, I lose interest in a discussion quickly when my argument is just being ignored.]

Most likely it's just variance between specimen that makes some stronger than others even in the same batch or grow.

Typically people initially think that fully air dried mushrooms are as dry as can be, but they don't tend to crack and snap in half unless you also desiccate them by processing. That's actual cracker dry. Unless you live in the desert perhaps?

Last edited:
As long as they are not moldy, and are fully dried they will be fine. Do they crack when you break them in half?

I have taken dried mushrooms that were a year or two old, and they still worked great. But they were completely dried, and in an air tight container.

They are crispy in parts a bit more rubbery in others

Mushrooms (liberty caps) keep pretty good for a few years; the likelihood is cubensis and any others with more psilocin over psilocybin won't keep so good; at the same time I had liberty caps in a glass jar which became very weak after a very long break from tripping - so long ago I don't know how long it took for them to degrade though. If the lids been off the more likely they have been exposed to varying degrees of moisture though over time which won't stand them in good stead but who knows - lots of variables

Mushrooms (liberty caps) keep pretty good for a few years; the likelihood is cubensis and any others with more psilocin over psilocybin won't keep so good; at the same time I had liberty caps in a glass jar which became very weak after a very long break from tripping - so long ago I don't know how long it took for them to degrade though. If the lids been off the more likely they have been exposed to varying degrees of moisture though over time which won't stand them in good stead but who knows - lots of variables

unfortunately they are only cubensis, liberty caps would indeed be better for so many reasons!

That may be true, but you can do things like pulverize and vacuumseal your cubensis so that you can really limit exposure to air and humidity in ways that you can't with whole mushrooms, although well with a good vacuum sealer I guess you can.

There are desiccant packets as well, mason jars, freezers, etc - if you put in some effort you won't have to just wait and see if it's disappointing, less so i mean.

That may be true, but you can do things like pulverize and vacuumseal your cubensis so that you can really limit exposure to air and humidity in ways that you can't with whole mushrooms, although well with a good vacuum sealer I guess you can.

There are desiccant packets as well, mason jars, freezers, etc - if you put in some effort you won't have to just wait and see if it's disappointing, less so i mean.

These had been stashed in a hurry and forgotten, there are a couple of desiccant packs in with it but normally would have kept them sealed in a jar, only I forgot!!!

what if the mould was at very low levels? As in not visible to the naked eye. What's the worst thing that can happen?

You would probably get horribly sick, and vómit or get diarrea while tripping. This happened to a friend of mine who ate mushrooms that looked fine but turned out to be moldy.

You would probably get horribly sick, and vómit or get diarrea while tripping. This happened to a friend of mine who ate mushrooms that looked fine but turned out to be moldy.

Might give them a pass then fuck it. I prefer music and films when I tripping normally :)

Thanks for all the input good people.