• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Gabapentinoids Old Gabapentin

Robomarley1

Bluelighter
I have a couple of bottles of gabapentin that were prescribed to me in the end of 2015, is it still safe to take them or should I just get rid of them?

Yeah, most medicines are good far, far beyond their expiry. They analyzed some aspirin from around WWII for example and they'd have still been good. Synthetic molecules tend to be very stable and the expiry date is mostly just there a) to be overly safe b) to make money c) because people want some date. Exception of this rule are liquid formulations (some need to be stored in the fridge, at least after they have been opened, and/or are dissolved in alcohol to circumvent this a bit).

Providing it hadn't been stored at any unusually high temps or anything it should be a ok.

I bet it would be good for another 100 years +. Yes, most meds last, it is usually antibiotics that truly expire. And oddly enough aspirin breaks down and has a vinegar odor after time but still works.

I can say this, 20 year old oxycodone and diazepam worked fine.

Last edited:
I bet it would be good for another 100 years +. Yes, most meds last, it is usually antibiotics that truy expire. And oddly enough aspirin breaks down and has a vinegar odor after time but still works.

I can say this, 20 year old oxycodone and diazepam worked fine.
The vinegar smell comes from the acetyl group breaking from the salicylic acid molecule.

I'm saving mine too. Because I just don't like them. At all. You never know though some day I probably will.
I stopped being prescribed them as they caused strong hypermania and hyper sexuality. Which made for embarrassing scenarios trying to get sex wherever I could.

Plus with being in that state i didn't care about being safe and had come close to being exposed to HIV, thankfully the other people had the sense to stop me and warn me.
Still virus free but damn that was too much just to treat fibromyalgia, thankfully pregabalin only produces a very mild version of those two symptoms.

Alright, I am going to keep them then. They have just been a rarely opened drawer in my bedroom for the past 6 years. Thanks all.

Check the expiration date, most things last a long time. Also if stored correctly a lot of things will last longer than you'd expect.
It lists the expiration date as one year after I filled them. I knew that was incorrect I just did not know if it was still safe after 5 and a half years.

It lists the expiration date as one year after I filled them. I knew that was incorrect I just did not know if it was still safe after 5 and a half years.
It's all about correct storage with substances. Keeping out moisture and heat is usually needed.