• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Olanzapine

Essentialle123

Bluelighter
Hi, I'm running out of Quetiapine but I have some Olanzapine. Is it OK to substitute the Olanzapine for a couple of days?
I would also like to know how long Olanzapine takes to kick in.
Thank you very much 🙂

You can definitely switch from quetiapine to olanzapine. I have extensive experience with both, and IME olanzapine is far less sedating than quetiapine. So I always felt I can function better on olanzapine, because I'm not as tired than with quetiapine. Of course, this may not be universal, but my doctors have also confirmed this.

Olanzapine also has a longer duration of action than quetiapine, and a much longer half-life. If I remember correctly, I took quetiapine 3 times a day, and olanzapine 2 times a day. For sleep though, quetiapine is much better.

You can definitely switch from quetiapine to olanzapine. I have extensive experience with both, and IME olanzapine is far less sedating than quetiapine. So I always felt I can function better on olanzapine, because I'm not as tired than with quetiapine. Of course, this may not be universal, but my doctors have also confirmed this.

Olanzapine also has a longer duration of action than quetiapine, and a much longer half-life. If I remember correctly, I took quetiapine 3 times a day, and olanzapine 2 times a day. For sleep though, quetiapine is much better.
Thank you so much for for your in depth post. I took 5mg Olanzapine and it hit me quite hard. My brain was foggy but it wasn't really totally unpleasant.
Take care,
🙂