• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc Olanzapine dose for sleep?

pally pete

Bluelighter
Could anybody tell me the ideal dose of Olanzapine for sleep?

I do understand that it is first and foremost, an antipsychotic.. Yet, I know it works for insomnia as well. I was prescribed this to take alongside Vortioxetine.. but told my psychiatrist that I didn't want to be on Olanzapine full-time, due to it's side effects (Weight gain, altered metabolism, diabetes etc..)

I have experimented with 5 mg, and also 10 mg.. Yet, I was told it was a proper 'knockout' drug! It does seem to help me stay asleep for longer, but, it doesn't sedate me enough to be able to fall asleep ok. The times I have tried it for inducing sleep, I've had to drink alcohol to knock me out (Not recommended)

So, what am I doing wrong? Is my dose too high, or too low?

Thanks for any help/advice given ;)

i use to take 15mg of the anti psychotic and it would knock me out for half a day and i would wake up a zombie i quit taking it lol

Do you suffer from schizophrenia? If not i'd recommend against using olanzapine for sleep given the side-effect profile and excessive duration of action. Seroquel (quetiapine) is the only anti-psychotic I'd ever take willingly. 25mg of this is usually sufficient (though not always) to promote sleep (though it seems to increase dreaming perhaps due to its antihistamine qualities). That said if 10mg of olanzapine doesn't put you to sleep, I doubt you'll find 25mg of quetiapine to be effective. If you need more than that, and you aren't schizophrenic, you should reconsider your choice of sleep aid (antipsychotics make questionable sleep aids, seroquel being the only sane option, and only at low dose).

I take Quetiapine for sleep and the two are very similar. Paradoxically, with these the LESS you take the more sedating they are. This is a very simplified explanation, but basically in small doses they act as a hypnotic (sleep-aid) but that effect mostly goes away and they act as an anti-psychotic at medium or high doses.
600mg of Quetiapine did nothing for me in terms of sleep but 25-50mg works like a charm. 75mg and it knocks me out.
So if you're using it for sleep you wanna take the lowest dose possible. I'd try taking the lowest dose pill available. If it isn't available in THAT low a dose (25mg Quetiapine is the equivalent of 0.625mg Olanzapine) then try just taking half a pill.
Good luck, I hope it helps!

Thanks for your replies.

I've now found this study (copy n pasted below) that suggests 5 mg is inferior than 10 mg when concerning time taken to fall asleep.

" Olanzapine
At doses of 5 to 20 mg/day, olanzapine is FDA approved for the treatment of schizophrenia and bipolar I disorder (mixed or manic episodes) in adults, as well as depressive episodes associated with bipolar I disorder and treatment resistant depression in adults when used in combination with fluoxetine.27 Olanzapine's antagonist activity at 5-HT2A/2C, H1, muscarinic, and α1 receptors is believed to play a role in its sedative properties.28,29 While serious cardiovascular complications associated with olanzapine are infrequent, significant weight gain, dyslipidemia, and glucose dysregulation are commonly associated with this atypical antipsychotic.27 As with quetiapine, tardive dyskinesia and extrapyramidal adverse effects are uncommon with olanzapine. The most common adverse reaction observed in placebo-controlled trials of olanzapine is somnolence and olanzapine has been shown to affect sleep architecture.27–29

Compared to placebo, significant increases in TST (p<0.01), sleep efficiency (p<0.01), SWS(p<0.05), and percent REM sleep (p<0.05) and decreases in wake time (p<0.01) were observed in a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, cross-over, clinical trial evaluating the effects of a single morning dose of olanzapine 5 mg on objective and subjective sleep variables in 17 healthy volunteers.28 A second randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind, cross-over study compared placebo, olanzapine 5 mg and 10 mg in 9 healthy male patients (age range 33 to 60 years; mean age 45.3 years).29 Single oral doses of olanzapine or placebo were administered 4 hours before bedtime over 3 nights, with each treatment separated by 7 to 14 days. Home-based PSG sleep recordings indicated that compared to placebo, olanzapine 5 mg and 10 mg produced significant increases in actual sleep time (p<0.005 and p<0.05, respectively), sleep efficiency (p<0.005 and p<0.05, respectively), and SWS (p<0.005, both doses); significant increases in subjective sleep quality were also observed (p<0.05, both doses). Olanzapine 10 mg was significantly better than olanzapine 5mg at decreasing sleep latency (p<0.05) and only the 10 mg dose was significantly better than placebo at decreasing REM sleep (p<0.005) and increasing REM latency (p<0.005).29

Olanzapine, in doses ranging from 2.5 mg to 10 mg, was evaluated in a case series that included 9 patients with chronic insomnia secondary to various causes.3,30 Eight of the nine patients experienced improved sleep parameters (measured by PSG) that included improved SL (n=3), a “feeling of good sleep” (n=2), an increase in TST (n=3), a decrease in nightmares (n=1), and unspecified improvement (n=3). Five of the eight patients received olanzapine as monotherapy. One patient experienced no improvement in sleep.3,30

The effects of olanzapine were evaluated over a 3 week period in 12 patients experiencing insomnia and major depressive disorder unresponsive to therapy with therapeutic doses of citalopram, fluoxetine, paroxetine, sertraline, or venlafaxine.31 Olanzapine was started at 2.5 mg nightly and increased to a maximum of 10 mg, as needed (mean dose 4.8 mg). Sleep parameters were measured using home PSG recordings at baseline, on night one of olanzapine treatment, and at the completion of the 3 week study period. In addition, after each of the 3 study nights, patients were asked to subjectively evaluate sleep quality based on “how well they had slept” using a 5 point scale where 1 indicated “much better than usual” and 5 indicated “much worse than usual”. The addition of a nightly dose of olanzapine significantly improved actual sleep time (p<0.001 night 1, p<0.01 at 3 weeks), sleep efficiency (p<0.001 night 1 and at 3 weeks), total WASO (p<0.01 night 1 and at 3 weeks), and subjective sleep quality (p<0.01 night 1, p<0.05 at 3 weeks). Significant improvements in SWS (p<0.01) and SL (p<0.05) were seen after 3 weeks of olanzapine treatment. Adverse effects were not reported in this study, but the authors do note patients reported olanzapine as being highly sedating and were unable to maintain a consistent morning rising time for the second and third PSG recordings. Weight was not measured.31 "

Last edited:
Yeah, note that second to last sentence, it put them to sleep but they had trouble getting up in the morning.

10mg of olanzapine is antipsychotic dose, and i wouldn't recommend anyone take an antipsychotic dose of an antipsychotic to sleep. Olanzapine has something like a 1 to 2 day half-life. Its awful stuff.

Once i gave a 10mg olanzapine tablet to a friend as a prank. Apparently he slept for a day and a half. I had given it to him in the morning and I called him the next afternoon at around 4pm and he was just waking up 🤣. I would never take that shit myself, but quetiapine is useful stuff. The half-life is as much as 1/5th that of olanzapine, so its mostly worn off entirely in 8 hours if the dose is low. I had a bunch of the 400mg tablets that lasted me a long time. At that strength formulation all you need to do is lick the pill for a while and you'll fall asleep.

Yeah, note that second to last sentence, it put them to sleep but they had trouble getting up in the morning.

10mg of olanzapine is antipsychotic dose, and i wouldn't recommend anyone take an antipsychotic dose of an antipsychotic to sleep. Olanzapine has something like a 1 to 2 day half-life. Its awful stuff.

Once i gave a 10mg olanzapine tablet to a friend as a prank. Apparently he slept for a day and a half. I had given it to him in the morning and I called him the next afternoon at around 4pm and he was just waking up 🤣. I would never take that shit myself, but quetiapine is useful stuff. The half-life is as much as 1/5th that of olanzapine, so its mostly worn off entirely in 8 hours if the dose is low. I had a bunch of the 400mg tablets that lasted me a long time. At that strength formulation all you need to do is lick the pill for a while and you'll fall asleep.
Well, I must have a naturally high tolerance to antipsychotic medication then.. As Quetiapine at doses ranging from 25-100 mg had little/no effect on helping me fall asleep. The same goes for this Olanzapine at doses of 2.5 mg-10 mg. :(

Feeling pretty let down tbh.. As for your question regarding Schizophrenia.. The shrink is never really sure what the diagnosis is.. Over the years I've been treated for Major Depressive Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder/General Anxiety Disorder, Schizophrenia, Psychosis.. and the last time I saw the shrink he mentioned Borderline Personality Disorder.

I'm currently prescribed 600 mg Pregabalin per day, 10 mg Vortioxetine per day.. and 5 mg Olanzapine. I'm also currently on 30 mg Diazepam per day and trying to taper..