• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

olanzapine a benzo?

HezzaD

Bluelighter
Is olanzapine a benzo I read of it being a theobenzodiazepeine or something.
I came of quetiapine cos of the horrible hangover I have more insomnia now but the olanzapine tends to put me to sleep in the day should i take it in the afternoon as i read it peaks in 5 hours?
Also if it is a benzo does it act on the gaba receptors?
And is 5mg a decent dose as im still getting racing thoughts and feeling paranoid at times but I really don't want to increase it due to side effects and people think ya on some hard drugs due to the side effects I had quetiapine when I first got it and be falling aslep on couch and dad thought I'd been taking fucking heroin!
Also would you say it potentiates the sedative effects of opiates since its long half life, I say quetiapine doesn't due to it knocks you out to feel the high but if I don't miss my olanzapine I notice I get more of a nod of my morphine.
ive tried every atypical anti psychotic I think risperine, olanzapine, quetiapine, abilify, are the typicals really bad in side effects I GOT offered Haldol before and I said no way. Risperidone did nothing for me and in higher doses made me hallucinate, quetiapine was great for my insomnia and at one point 50mg would put me to sleep and feel great the next day then the dose needed increasing 100mg then helped but felt shit next day stopped working 150 200mg made me useless the next day.
Abilify was good for giving me energy and doing stuff, bad for sleep and also made me ill to point people asking me if I was ok.

It is a thienobenzodiazepine, but this does not mean that it shares similar properties with standard benzodiazepines (1,4 - 1,5 - triazolo etc) - it primarily acts a dopamine antagonist (as would most effective antipsychotics) as opposed to being a GABA agonist (although it does have some some action at certain GABA receptor sites, the ins and outs of which I'm not entirely sure of).

The structural similarities give rise to the confusion in names, typically, benzodiazepines have a benzine ring and diazepine ring fused together to form their core structure, olanzepine differers as it has a thiophene ring fused in there as well.

The thienotriazolodiazepine Etizolam has s similar structure and is considered a benzodiazepine analogue due to it's structural similarities, its similar effect profile to short / intermediate acting benzos and its cross tolerance with same and was often compared to olanzepine for some of these reasons.

Olanzepine is not in any way a benzodiazepine, it is an extremely powerful antipsychotic and should be used for those indications only.

olanzapine is an atypical antipsychotic in the same family as seroquel and many of the other the OP mentioned. It is used often in IM preparations with lorazepam (which is a bezo) to knock psychotic and dangerous patients out.

no recreational effects here, this is a heavy duty med designed to intervene with psychosis and the pharmacological action was stated by Stee.

You can experiment with the 1st generations, Haldol, thorizine etc but they carry a much higher risk of permanent side effects such as TDC.

May I ask, what do you use antipsychotic medication for? I was on seroquel for years for insomnia and mood stabilization. Fortunately I have been able to move on from this medicine.

I have used both Olazapine and Seroquel and I much prefer Olazapine. Seroquel is a horrible drug in my account. I actually hallucinated on it. I find that Olazapine puts me to sleep and relaxes some of the time. Good luck:;+

I have used both Olazapine and Seroquel and I much prefer Olazapine. Seroquel is a horrible drug in my account. I actually hallucinated on it. I find that Olazapine puts me to sleep and relaxes some of the time. Good luck:;+
Oh yeah, antipsychotics can make you experience symptoms of psychosis which didn't exist before the drug. Had the same on chlorprothixene (Truxal) and risperidone (Risperdal). Docs won't believe it but at least acoustic hallucinations (hearing voices, whispers etc) is officially listed as possible side effect.

I found seroquel to be horrible as well, it induced panic attacks @500mg and let me collapse later when increased to 650mg..

These antipsychotics are strong drugs which should be used only as last resort in cases where nothing else helps and pressure is high. Even psychosis can and does heal with softer or without drugs.

It's the best tolerated anti-psychotic for me personally and I've been on the majority of them. I really wanna get off it again eventually but it really helps me sleep so well which I have alot of trouble with. It does relax you a bit but it's nothing like benzos really and isn't abusable at all. Deff not the type of drug you would seek out for euphoric or recreational effects. But for someone with bipolar like I had it is good for keeping me generally sedated and like I said it's amazing for sleep and with its long half-life you can even catch a 4 hour nap in the afternoon after a full night's rest.

It's the best tolerated anti-psychotic for me personally and I've been on the majority of them.
Yeah, same here, olanzapine has less side effects for me than the other APs besides cariprazine, but I feel all of them to cloud the mind and induce anhedonia so when I didn't feel concrete benefits from taking them I stopped. My psychotic symptoms disappeared over time without the aid of drugs.

I hated olanzapine at 15mg. I got into a manic state and didn’t knew what I was doing for hours. Haloperidol was quite nice at 5mg I believe, somewhat recreational even.

I came of quetiapine cos of the horrible hangover I have more insomnia now but the olanzapine tends to put me to sleep in the day should i take it in the afternoon as i read it peaks in 5 hours?
And is 5mg a decent dose as im still getting racing thoughts and feeling paranoid at times but I really don't want to increase it due to side effects and people think ya on some hard drugs due to the side effects I had quetiapine when I first got it and be falling aslep on couch and dad thought I'd been taking fucking heroin!
Also would you say it potentiates the sedative effects of opiates since its long half life, I say quetiapine doesn't due to it knocks you out to feel the high but if I don't miss my olanzapine I notice I get more of a nod of my morphine.
ive tried every atypical anti psychotic I thinction , olanzapine, quetiapine, abilify, are the typicals babbreally bad in side effects I GOT offered Haldol before and I said no way. Risperidone did bnothing for me and in higher doses made me hallucinate, quetiapine was great for my insomnia and at one point 50mg would put me to sleep and feel great the next day then the dose needed increasing 100mg then helped but felt shit next day stopped working 150 200mg made me useless the next day.
Abilify was good for giving me energy and doing stuff, bad for sleep and also made me ill to point people asking me if I was ok.
It's an antipsychotic darling 🤔. Benzos are entirely different in makeup and chemical tapestry. You should look at the community section of the site Addicted to the Needle on Reddit. Though I hate Reddit now! Good luck

ive tried every atypical anti psychotic I think risperine, olanzapine, quetiapine, abilify, are the typicals really bad in side effects I GOT offered Haldol before and I said no way. Risperidone did nothing for me and in higher doses made me hallucinate, quetiapine was great for my insomnia and at one point 50mg would put me to sleep and feel great the next day then the dose needed increasing 100mg then helped but felt shit next day stopped working 150 200mg made me useless the next day.
No no no. Olazoapine is a toxic antipsychotic which can turn and bite you in the ass. Watch out for these drugs. Nasty😈