• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Oddly Specific Fentanyl Question for a PM Patient

birdsofprey

Greenlighter
Hi OD - I'm a longtime lurker of this board. I'm hoping to get some more information about fentanyl patches, which I was recently prescribed for pain management reasons. I'll try to keep this short, but I'll bold the most relevant information. I apologize if I use any incorrect terminology! I tried searching the forums but I had a hard time finding information about this low a dose.

I've been on two different patch brands: Mylan and Sandoz, both 12.5mcg/hr patches. (I am not as opioid-tolerant as most fent patients and I am happy with this dose.) The first brand I tried was Mylan; on the package, it says each patch contains 1.28mgs of fentanyl. I started to notice that the patches seemed to stop working around the 50-hour mark. I had my next fentanyl script filled at a different pharmacy that gave me Sandoz patches; the insert says each patch contains 2.1mgs of fentanyl. If they're the same dose, why would they have different fentanyl concentrations? Do they work differently? I'm still on my first Sandoz patch but I've passed the 50 hour mark and they still seem to be keeping me comfortable.

Thanks everyone! May your day be pain-free.

The patches are rated according to the rate the fentanyl is delivered at, not the total content. I would go so far as to say that the Sandoz one will work for longer.

I thought you were supposed to change the patches every 24-48 hours too?

The patches are rated according to the rate the fentanyl is delivered at, not the total content. I would go so far as to say that the Sandoz one will work for longer.

I thought you were supposed to change the patches every 24-48 hours too?

I figured that the Sandoz ones would work longer considering their higher fentanyl amount, and I can definitely feel that it's still working long after the Mylan one would have crapped out on me. (Seriously, Mylan brand patches suck.) All of my patches say that they should be changed at 72 hour intervals; I cut it short a few times on the Mylan ones but I don't think that'll be an issue with the Sandoz ones.

I get that their strength is determined by how much fentanyl is released per hour, but it just seems odd to me that one patch would have almost double the amount of the active ingredient versus its competitor, when they're both designed to last the same amount of time. Curiosity, I guess.

The rate is also proportianal to the size of the patch. Sandoz is larger, hence larger total quantity.