Mental Health Obsessions about going to hell when I die

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
I keep having a reoccurring intrusive thought about me going to hell when I die. I know it is just OCD thoughts but then I question what if I really am going to hell when I die. Even after realizing it is impossible to go to hell or heaven. Does anybody else have ruminating and obsessive thoughts that revolve around dysphoria? I try to tell myself it's not true. But the doubts, they get me Everytime. And they just cause so much stress and anxiety that is not necessary and hindering my ability to survive and to evolve.

I keep having a reoccurring intrusive thought about me going to hell when I die. I know it is just OCD thoughts but then I question what if I really am going to hell when I die. Even after realizing it is impossible to go to hell or heaven. Does anybody else have ruminating and obsessive thoughts that revolve around dysphoria? I try to tell myself it's not true. But the doubts, they get me Everytime. And they just cause so much stress and anxiety that is not necessary and hindering my ability to survive and to evolve.
Are you taking any drugs, whether prescribed or recreational?

My first thought is to try to find something to occupy your mind and body rather than just sitting there ruminating and feeding these thoughts with your time and energy. Are you seeing a talk therapist or counselor? My second thought is to find one. They do not prescribe psych meds but are someone to talk to and share your thoughts and feelings with. They can help steer you in the right direction better than any of us anonymous internet strangers.

Are you taking any drugs, whether prescribed or recreational?

My first thought is to try to find something to occupy your mind and body rather than just sitting there ruminating and feeding these thoughts with your time and energy. Are you seeing a talk therapist or counselor? My second thought is to find one. They do not prescribe psych meds but are someone to talk to and share your thoughts and feelings with. They can help steer you in the right direction better than any of us anonymous internet strangers.
Prozac and Vraylar.
My OCD regarding me being homosexual and going to hell used to be extremely bad. It has only recently started back up again. I do think a therapist would help but in any case I'm not in the position to even be able to get to a therapist. Seeing as how the covid locked the local community health center down. So no in person therapy. Honesty I think I was just looking for assurance that I'm not going to hell. All of my obsessions cause me to do mental checks about if they are real or not.

Yeahgg man!?!Is this reall?Never thought about goin' to hell when i die.on the contrary

Yeahgg man!?!Is this reall?Never thought about goin' to hell when i die.on the contrary
I was smoking synthetic cannabis back in 2012 and thought some people were telling me I was going to burn for choosing a certain side. Needless to say I started to panic and hallucinate. All I have to do is stop and tell myself it's just the OCD and I'll never go to hell. But if I start to doubt then that where the anxiety starts.

Maaan...only once tried synt.canabinoid.was quick acting&powerful...like strong weed...but heavy repeated use of this can be deteriorating.even compulsive...strange

Prozac and Vraylar.
My OCD regarding me being homosexual and going to hell used to be extremely bad. It has only recently started back up again. I do think a therapist would help but in any case I'm not in the position to even be able to get to a therapist. Seeing as how the covid locked the local community health center down. So no in person therapy. Honesty I think I was just looking for assurance that I'm not going to hell. All of my obsessions cause me to do mental checks about if they are real or not.
I'd just like to point out that the majority of religious belief systems humanity has come up with did not include a concept of hell.

As for you being gay, you obviously internalised some religious prejudice / condemnation for being so. I do not know if you are aware, but homosexuality isn't exclusive to humans. It occurs in the animal kingdom and has been observed in over 300 species. Now religious types like to always point to nonhuman animals as supposedly showing how God had 'intended' for his creatures to behave. 'Animals don't do this!, they live according to God' s will ; this shows that homosexuality is unnatural and sinful '.

Well they got that one wrong. Nothing can be unnatural that occurs in nature. And animals have no concept of morality or God's will, so they cannot sin. If God created nature then it doesn't look like he minds the odd male getting it on with another male. Unless of course someone wants to tell me the devil goes around corrupting the souls of rams (for some reason domestic sheep have the statistically highest documented rate of homosexuality), but then according to those same Christians animals don't even HAVE any soul to corrupt.

Also that passage in the bible that refers to how 'a man should not lie with the man as with a woman, it is an abomination unto the Lord' - well have a look at Deuteronomy and all the OTHER entirely trivial things that are said to be unacceptable in God's eyes. It includes eating shellfish, getting tattoos and wearing mixed fabrics. Show me one single committed Christian who observes that, or even knows about it.
As for the other famous verse about Sodom and Gomorrah, same-sex intercourse is only ONE of the behaviours mentioned. The inhabitants of those towns are being condemned for a whole raft of things showing their general 'sinfulness' and lack of obedience to God, but everybody fixates on this.

It is also clear that homosexuality isn't a choice. So would God make you that way just so you can hate yourself? Or just so you can deny yourself love and intimacy? Does it make sense to be condemned to hell for something you cannot help anymore than the colour of your hair -?

"Wherever there is love, there can be no wrong , and the gods are pleased."
I don't know where we go when we die, but I'm 100% certain you're not going to hell. I've had similar obsessive thoughts and as you're already recognising them as such, remind yourself of the fact everytime you get them. It's your brain having a glitch ; they will pass, as distressing as they are right now.

Prozac and Vraylar.
It sounds like you've gotten some good advice with the "going to hell" part of your problem and I agree with these assessments. Try to find the short book by Jean-Paul Sartre called No Exit, it's a one act play. The basic premise of the story is that Hell is the people we are with rather than some hot place invented by a vengeful God. It's a nice little read.

As for the therapist thing, do you live in the US? If so, you are legally allowed to use a therapist anywhere in your state. Especially since covid, many therapists are online only anyways. Hell, my therapist is 300 miles away from me and we've never met in person. We still meet at least once a month via video chat and it helps me stay grounded. If you have insurance, you can shop therapists via psychologytoday.com or zocdoc.com and they will normally list what insurance they allow. If you don't have insurance, I have found a local list of sliding scale therapists who charge based on what you can afford. Your psychiatrist may also have suggestions for therapists or sliding scale lists of them.

There is a free app broadly titled “Motivation” that I use daily for various health issues. There are sections on Overthinking, Managing anxiety…so many topics.

Zoloft helps me with my OCD and also there is a therapy called DBT Dialectical Behavioral Therapy. I bought a manual on Amazon and the concepts really help. One is Radical Acceptance. .There are also DBT therapists. I am not a CBT fan.

Best and try to stay in the moment by recognizing the thought, accepting it exists and picture it floating away like a ballon. Try to think it’s only a thought and I don’t like this and how I feel…then tell yourself it is the OCD not any personal truth etc.

Radical Acceptance gets a person through grueling times. Accepting that maybe one can’t know our “destiny,” when our clock runs out.

I hope this helps Im going through benzodiazepine withdrawal so I will close here, as I may be unclear but I do know …. I am thinking of you and I wish I could be of more support. My cognitive ability is blown right now (doc supervised - not trying to hijack).

*hugs*

Last edited:
I'd just like to point out that the majority of religious belief systems humanity has come up with did not include a concept of hell.

As for you being gay, you obviously internalised some religious prejudice / condemnation for being so. I do not know if you are aware, but homosexuality isn't exclusive to humans. It occurs in the animal kingdom and has been observed in over 300 species. Now religious types like to always point to nonhuman animals as supposedly showing how God had 'intended' for his creatures to behave. 'Animals don't do this!, they live according to God' s will ; this shows that homosexuality is unnatural and sinful '.

Well they got that one wrong. Nothing can be unnatural that occurs in nature. And animals have no concept of morality or God's will, so they cannot sin. If God created nature then it doesn't look like he minds the odd male getting it on with another male. Unless of course someone wants to tell me the devil goes around corrupting the souls of rams (for some reason domestic sheep have the statistically highest documented rate of homosexuality), but then according to those same Christians animals don't even HAVE any soul to corrupt.

Also that passage in the bible that refers to how 'a man should not lie with the man as with a woman, it is an abomination unto the Lord' - well have a look at Deuteronomy and all the OTHER entirely trivial things that are said to be unacceptable in God's eyes. It includes eating shellfish, getting tattoos and wearing mixed fabrics. Show me one single committed Christian who observes that, or even knows about it.
As for the other famous verse about Sodom and Gomorrah, same-sex intercourse is only ONE of the behaviours mentioned. The inhabitants of those towns are being condemned for a whole raft of things showing their general 'sinfulness' and lack of obedience to God, but everybody fixates on this.

It is also clear that homosexuality isn't a choice. So would God make you that way just so you can hate yourself? Or just so you can deny yourself love and intimacy? Does it make sense to be condemned to hell for something you cannot help anymore than the colour of your hair -?

"Wherever there is love, there can be no wrong , and the gods are pleased."
I don't know where we go when we die, but I'm 100% certain you're not going to hell. I've had similar obsessive thoughts and as you're already recognising them as such, remind yourself of the fact everytime you get them. It's your brain having a glitch ; they will pass, as distressing as they are right now.
So I am not homosexual but when I was 14 in 2005 I was smoking cannabis and developed something called Purely Obsessional OCD where people obsess about all kind of things. I found out later which basically stopped me from killing myself.