Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

NYT: Undercover Officers Ask Addicts to Buy Drugs, Snaring Them but Not Dealers

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Undercover Officers Ask Addicts to Buy Drugs, Snaring Them but Not Dealers
By JOSEPH GOLDSTEIN
APRIL 4, 2016

The 55-year-old crack addict counted his change outside a Harlem liquor store. He had just over a dollar, leaving him 35 cents short of the cheapest mini-bottle.

The 21-year-old heroin addict sat in a McDonald’s on the Lower East Side, wondering when his grandmother would next wire him money. He was homeless, had 84 cents in his pocket and was living out of two canvas bags.

Each was approached by someone who asked the addict for help buying drugs. Using the stranger’s money, each addict went to see a nearby dealer, returned with drugs, handed them over and was promptly arrested on felony drug-dealing charges. The people who had asked for drugs were undercover narcotics officers with the New York Police Department.

A review of the trials in those cases and two others illuminates what appears to be a tactic for small-scale drug prosecutions: An undercover officer, supplying the cash for the deal, asks an addict to go and buy $20 or $40 worth of crack or heroin. When the addict — perhaps hoping for a chance to smoke or inject a pinch — does so, he is arrested.

In the case of the 21-year-old at the McDonald’s, the undercover officer was an unkempt woman who gave the impression she was about to experience withdrawal, the 21-year-old testified. In one of the other cases, an officer allowed an addict to use his cellphone to call a dealer.

It is impossible to determine how widespread this law enforcement tactic is, but the four recent cases reviewed by The New York Times raise troubling questions about the fairness and effectiveness of the way the Police Department uses undercover officers. Officers neither arrested nor pursued the dealers who sold the drugs to the addicts. Instead, the undercover officers waited around the corner or down the block for the addict to return with the drugs before other officers swooped in.

The department’s tactics and prosecutors’ pursuit of such cases have drawn criticism from defense lawyers and juries. In interviews — and, in one instance, in a letter to prosecutors — jurors have questioned why the police and prosecutors would so aggressively pursue troubled addicts. The 21-year-old man and the 55-year-old man were both acquitted of the felony charges.

The tactic would seem at odds with the public positions of some of the city’s top politicians and law enforcement figures, including Mayor Bill de Blasio, a Democrat, and the Manhattan district attorney, Cyrus R. Vance Jr., who have expressed support for reducing prison and jail populations by finding ways to treat mental health problems and addiction.

“We all talk a lot in this city about the public health crisis of drug addiction, and yet we take a very regressive approach to locking people up,” said Tina Luongo, who heads the Legal Aid Society’s criminal practice.

Last year, nearly 5,000 people were charged in New York City with dealing small quantities of heroin or cocaine, and in 2014, just over 6,000 people faced such charges. But the number of those that involved buy-and-bust cases against addicts is unknown. A vast majority of drug-dealing charges end in plea deals, so there are few trials during which such distinctions might emerge.

The 55-year-old crack addict, Reginald J., agreed to speak to a reporter on the condition that only the first letter of his surname be used when identifying him. In an interview, he articulated one of the issues with these sting operations: It is tough for addicts to say no.

“For him to put the money in my hands, as an addict, let me tell you what happens,” he said. “I like to think I could resist it, but I’m way beyond that. My experience has shown me that 1,000 times out of 1,000 times, I will be defeated.”

con t http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/05/n...-drugs-snaring-them-but-not-dealers.html?_r=0

This is absolutely horrendous, taking advantage of the most vulnerable and arresting non-violent offenders is not only a shameless display of human indecency it is a gross waste of resources.

Think about all the people with opiate habits that have gotten bad enough to have them living on the streets kicking in jail because of these goons. Travesty.

Think about all the people with opiate habits that have gotten bad enough to have them living on the streets kicking in jail because of these goons. Travesty.

"goons"?!? What these "Cops" did is way past being called "goons"! These officers are Satan worshipers, they get high off of seeing innocent humans suffer, so when they see a desperate human on the streets suffering already beyond all belief - their adrenaline starts to flow and they get a super high when they pull shananigans like this! purely satanic beyond all belief

"goons"?!? What these "Cops" did is way past being called "goons"! These officers are Satan worshipers, they get high off of seeing innocent humans suffer, so when they see a desperate human on the streets suffering already beyond all belief - their adrenaline starts to flow and they get a super high when they pull shananigans like this! purely satanic beyond all belief

I couldn't disagree more. The Satanic Church espouses respect for all living creatures. To call these Officers human is a goddam stretch, but they're clearly good Christians.

Satan worshipers? Clearly you don't know what your talkin about sir.

I hate what the cops did too, but most of the blame simply HAS to go to the system that rewards them for arrests and especially drug arrests. "Hey, guys, let's go set up some homeless guy! Way easier than catching a murderer or rapist. We can get our 25 arrests finished early and relax!" It is not only these cops that need to stop what they are doing - we need a federal policy that stops punishing people for drugs and one that stops rewarding cops for arrests.