Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

NYT: Rethinking the Global War on Drugs

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Rethinking the Global War on Drugs
By THE EDITORIAL BOARD
APRIL 25, 2016

At the urging of Mexico, Guatemala and Colombia, world leaders met at the United Nations in a special session last week to discuss saner ways to fight the drug trade. They did not get very far toward a shift in approach. Nonetheless, there was a consensus that investing in health care, addiction treatment and alternatives to incarceration would do more to end the drug trade than relying primarily on prohibition and criminalization.

“A war that has been fought for more than 40 years has not been won,” President Juan Manuel Santos of Colombia said in an interview. “When you do something for 40 years and it doesn’t work, you need to change it.”

Mr. Santos and the presidents of Mexico and Guatemala argue that the war on drugs, which has been largely directed under terms set by the United States, has had devastating effects on their countries, which are hubs of the cocaine, marijuana and heroin trade. “When two elephants fight, the grass always suffers the most,” President Jimmy Morales of Guatemala said, referring to the drug cartels and American law enforcement agencies.

Since 2014, the three governments and like-minded allies have sought to lay the groundwork for changes to the current approach, which is grounded in three international drug accords adopted between the early 1960s and 1988. Those treaties, which required that signatories outlaw the trade and possession of controlled substances — including marijuana — were conceived at a time when international leaders saw law enforcement as the most effective way to curb drug production and consumption.

Unfortunately, several countries with considerable diplomatic clout, including China and Russia, maintain that criminalization should remain the cornerstone of the fight against drugs.

The Obama administration supported the meeting, and has been relatively receptive to new ideas from neighboring countries. “We are seeing tremendous advances in our understanding of drug dependency and our ability to address substance use disorders as a public health — rather than a strictly criminal justice — challenge,” Secretary of State John Kerry said in a statement.

But the United States will need to play a much stronger role in shaping new policies. It is in the untenable position of violating the existing treaties — now that four states have legalized the sale of recreational marijuana — while arguing that they remain a viable framework.

Other countries are charting their own paths. The Canadian government, for instance, recently announced that it will introduce a bill next spring to decriminalize the sale of marijuana. Mexican leaders announced during the meeting that their country intends to legalize medical marijuana and loosen restrictions on the amount of drugs people can possess for personal use.

These new policies could render the existing drug treaties obsolete. Clearly, those accords need to be updated

Continued http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/25/opinion/rethinking-the-global-war-on-drugs.html?_r=0

Unfortunately, several countries with considerable diplomatic clout, including China and Russia, maintain that criminalization should remain the cornerstone of the fight against drugs.

Nations like Russia, China and perhaps middle eastern states are going to be the new bastions of reactionary drug policy measures on the international scene, I think. They're going to take that mantle from the USA, which has until very recently been the primary purveyor of reactionary, utterly retrograde BS policy measures when it comes to drug policy & the international community.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nations like Russia, China and perhaps middle eastern states are going to be the new bastions of reactionary drug policy measures on the international scene, I think. They're going to take that mantle from the USA, which has until very recently been the primary purveyor of reactionary, utterly retrograde BS policy measures when it comes to drug policy & the international community.

slow your roll killer. SE Asia holds the crown.

It's definitely not an area of the world I'd ever want to be prosecuted for a drug-related offense

I agree with Burnt Offerings (though jammin 83 also makes a good point). The US created the role and led for more than 50 years, and now that saner policies are beginning to emerge, former allies will either relax their policies as well or hold out with conservative, anti-human policies. Russia and China are most likely to stay conservative, because the drug war is extremely effective for controlling your population. And, neither of the two cares much about human freedom :(

SE Asia tends to have the strictest punishments, but then again, in China, you don't really know what the punishments might be, and drug dealers tend to disappear for a while until their family gets a bill in the mail for the bullet used to execute them. :( And, Russia and China are so powerful, and want influence so badly, that they may lead a second round of the drug war, even as the US and aligned countries liberalize drug policy...

I said it before I will say it again. It is going to take a lot of activism on the "blades of grass'" part to be heard. I really don't see that working in china or russia, but most other country's citizens should demand to have their voices heard by staging a global protest. I see the first steps being taken with the whole UNGASS meetings, but there needs to be more. Having quite a few of each group of citizens protesting might actually sway governments to actually start taking this a little more seriously./