• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

NYT article on pain med prescriptions and relapse

I think it's interesting. Addiction theory isn't what it used to be. People can grow and change on the neurological level much more than was previously thought. I like the emphasis on socializing. It's so very healing. Also that the stress of untreated pain can cause relapse just as well, that stress overall is important to take into account.

That said, I have some reservations. Not all addictions are equal, which is to say that the most effective treatment varies based on each class, or even within classes. It's not fair to offer a blanket statement that all addictions behave the same way. The main example that comes to mind, and this is not in all cases, but many, is that opioid substitute therapy works well, but not stimulant substitute therapy isn't nearly so effective.

Also, this person was more cautious for their past addiction, using the bare minimum amount, and had other precautions in place in order to make sure that she wouldn't relapse.

I think it's great that they used the bare minimum. Overall it's fresh insight. Thanks for posting!