View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Nutmeg safety?

Domicrow

Greenlighter
I unlike most people am actually quite a fan of nutmeg, but I won't do it as often as I would like to because it's so toxic. Does anybody know anything more about this like how to minimise damage and such?

Well, I can't claim to know too much about it, but I have heard that using nutmeg essential oil is a much better option than using pure nuts due to the fact that it contains the active chemicals but totally lacks trimyristin. I don't know how safe it is in general, but that seems like it would make it safer than the nuts at least. I tried 1 mL myself once and didn't get any strong psychedelic effects from it, but I did have a big smile on my face like I was on a low dose of one, and it had no side effects whatsoever other than some disgusting burps at the beginning.

Do you like using it to trip or do you just enjoy the high?

If I can find some of that I'll try it, up until now I've only used whole nuts or pre ground(shit)

At doses ranging 10-20 grams ita just like a good long edible cannabis high but for me at 20+ grams it does some very strange things and seems to shift through cannabis like effects, amphetamine like effects, LSD like effects and opiood like effects over the course of about 24 hours. These are the best trips that can be had in my opinion.

Ah, yeah I've never had the nuts myself but I've heard from multiple people that the oil is much smoother. I know there are certain types of oil that are better to get too but I haven't looked into it in a long time, but I would do a little research first too. And good luck if you do it!

That does sound very interesting! I've heard some people describe some pretty intense effects like that too. People are quick to dismiss nutmeg and call it a deliriant, but I've done a lot of research on myristicin myself and have never found scientific evidence that it has anticholinergic effects, while there are studies showing that it is a 5-HT2 agonist, and given its MMDA-like structure it would be a logical assumption to make that it might be most like a phenethylamine psychedelic overall. And, though myristicin itself does not have this activity, there have also been some that show that nutmeg extract binds to the CB1 receptor, so I'd believe the cannabis-like effects too.

I actually still have some of that essential oil somewhere I think, I would like to try taking a higher dose one of these days. I have heard of some pretty intense psychedelic reactions from doses in the range of 3-5 mL, but I would probably start more around 1 mL and work your way up just to be cautious if you do it. I recall reading some scientific literature way back when about the intoxicating effects of 1 mL of nutmeg essential oil and I don't believe they found it to be particularly threatening. Keep in mind that there is not too much information written about going higher than that compared to a lot of drugs though, so you do want to play it safe with it.