• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Number Of Drug Addicted Infants Soars

Regardless of the developmental effects which I wouldn't consider being exposed to high levels of opiates as a fetus and being born addicted to them as ideal.
The issue is also to do with the responsibilities of the mother and their capability to look after their children whilst in the depths of addiction. I'm not talking about a housewife minor pill habit here btw. IMO if you can't stave off the gear for 9 months then you shouldn't be having kids.

I agree and have mentioned it plenty of times that society will have to recognise alcohol as a drug before we can move forward with reforms, however despite alcohol being legal or whether it's perceived as a drug or not, in our society it is still strongly disapproved of to drink alcohol whilst pregnant and plenty of drunk and negligent parents have had their kids taken away from them.

Both legal and illegal narcotics have been linked to the withdrawals in newborns including cocaine, marijuana, heroin, methadone, codeine, oxycodone, OxyContin, Vicodin, Ritalin, Adderall, Paxil, Zoloft, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Xanax, Valium, Ativan, Klonopin and barbiturates, according to the National Institute of Health.

How did alcohol not make this list? It's one of the worst and most common teratogens.

ebola

Regardless of the developmental effects which I wouldn't consider being exposed to high levels of opiates as a fetus and being born addicted to them as ideal.
The issue is also to do with the responsibilities of the mother and their capability to look after their children whilst in the depths of addiction. I'm not talking about a housewife minor pill habit here btw. IMO if you can't stave off the gear for 9 months then you shouldn't be having kids.

I agree and have mentioned it plenty of times that society will have to recognise alcohol as a drug before we can move forward with reforms,
alcohol isn't a drug it a poison.

It must have a real low dose in the case of alcohol ebola as I sure do see a lot of people who look like they are poisoned on that shit and with the way they can act sometimes I wish they were.

If you aren't going to get clean for the pregnancy then you have no business having the baby IMO. And although I am pro choice I am also PRO LIFE as its included in the CHOICE part.

What about my son? Did I have no business having him?

I got pregnant when a condom broke while I was on methadone treatment after getting clean off heroin. I didnt even know I was pregnant until I was over 3 months into it. By that time I couldn't bear the idea of an abortion. And detoxing while pregnant is life threatening for the baby. So I stayed on methadone, to keep my baby safe. I had him, he didnt need any medication or any detoxing, and hes perfectly healthy and normal. You dont know the situation of everybody put in the position of being physically dependent on a drug and then finding that they are pregnant, so u want to keep judging, or take a minute and learn a bit?

A baby is actually harmed MORE by the withdrawal than by the drug. Opiates are non-teratogenic. Im definitely not speaking for other drugs like coke, stimulants, antidepressants, benzos, etc, because they all fall into different classes, but Im talking about opiates alone here.

The danger and damage to a baby in the womb of a woman addicted to heroin , for example, is overwhelmingly caused NOT by the drug, but by shitty lifestyle--little to no prenatal care, no prenatal vitamins, poor diet and/or mal- or under-nutrition, stressful environment, high co occurence of poly drug use or alcohol use, exposure to STDs and other diseases from unsafe injection or sex, and the BIGGEST factor--the unstability caused by the constant withdrawal/use cycle.

Dont get me wrong, I sure as hell aint saying that its all cool and good to just shoot dope while youre pregnant as long as you take your vitamins and whatever. But what I am pointing out is that in the case of OPIATES, THEY DO NOT CAUSE BRAIN DAMAGE. They are not poisonous to the infants development. Its not like drinking while pregnant, for example. Taking opiates does not cause birth defects or brain damage in the baby.

WITHDRAWAL on the other hand can cause DEATH of the baby.

True story, a woman and her baby would be SAFER, being provided competent medical and prenatal care, good nutrition, all the necessary shit that middle and upper class women with access to insurance and all that get during pregnancy, and given pharm. grade heroin by a doctor in monitored, timed doses, than she would be trying to kick during her pregnancy.

Is it the IDEAL situation to get pregnant while on any type of drug? No, for sure it aint.

But there is so much fucking misinformation out there about this particular subject, and so many of yall BUY IT, even here on BL! And it just makes me sick! approach the issue without a biased-as-fuck mind. Look at the FACTS, dont just "think with your gut".

My son had absolutely nothing wrong with him. NO issues, no developmental problems, nothing, hes completely healthy and ahead of his age group in a few areas too. And Yes, one personal experience really dont mean shit as far as statistics go, but if you actually research this shit and ANALYZE and look into the results with a critical mind youll find that the problems associated with the use of opiates during pregnancy DO NOT COME FROM THE DRUG ITSELF, but from the terrible lifestyle of many of the women who are addicted while pregnant. Its not the opiates thats the problem. The difference between a kid born to a mom whose running the streets, constantly getting dopesick and going thru W/D, using dirty needles, not eating right, not getting prenatal care, VS the mom who is on a methadone program and getting all the right care and nutrition and is in a stable environment, and youll see the difference. Its not the drug itself. Withdrawal is more toxic to a developing baby than an opiate being in its system. Its all in the way that she is living and the care and treatment shes getting.

Turn it around, too--Take a mom, who lives in some magical fairy land where heroin is prescribed. Give her good prenatal care, good diet, stable housing, supportive family and friends network, a existence thats not full of stress and trouble, and daily pharmaceutical quality (meaning, pure, not street-quality) heroin doses administered by a qualified doctor, kept at a stable unchanging level in her body. Then compare her to a mom who is running the streets, not eating right, homeless, having no prenatal care, and who is taking methadone, but getting it off the street on a unreliable schedule so that her body is not maintained at a constant level with the drug and she lapses into withdrawal on the regular. The kid of the mother with the stable opiate maintenance of a pharm. and not street-grade drug, who is given the right care and support, is the one who will be healthier. Its the bad lifestyle and unstable environment added to the damage caused by going into withdrawal that cause these issues in the babies. Its not just the fact that an opiate is being used. do some research on this, instead of just reading shittily-researched articles with sound-byte quotes that just repeat the same old scary bullshit time and time again.

Last edited:
How did alcohol not make this list? It's one of the worst and most common teratogens.

ebola

Because nobody wants to hear that their DOC is dangerous and on a 'level' with heroin. Also pisses me off when these articles list drugs such as cocaine and marijuana as 'narcotics'.

@Khad.. considering I posted two related stories that state that it is dangerous for a pregnant women to detox while dependent on opiates I believe i did do some research and have changed my mind on weather it is a good idea to detox while pregnant. I like the power of threads as the correct answer usually comes out in the end. If I had all the correct answers I wouldn't like coming on Blue Light.

Turn it around, too--Take a mom, who lives in some magical fairy land where heroin is prescribed. Give her good prenatal care, good diet, stable housing, supportive family and friends network, a existence thats not full of stress and trouble, and daily pharmaceutical quality (meaning, pure, not street-quality) heroin doses administered by a qualified doctor, kept at a stable unchanging level in her body. Then compare her to a mom who is running the streets, not eating right, homeless, having no prenatal care, and who is taking methadone, but getting it off the street on a unreliable schedule so that her body is not maintained at a constant level with the drug and she lapses into withdrawal on the regular. The kid of the mother with the stable opiate maintenance of a pharm. and not street-grade drug, who is given the right care and support, is the one who will be healthier. Its the bad lifestyle and unstable environment added to the damage caused by going into withdrawal that cause these issues in the babies. Its not just the fact that an opiate is being used. do some research on this, instead of just reading shittily-researched articles with sound-byte quotes that just repeat the same old scary bullshit time and time again.

Why should she be given all these things.. "good prenatal care, good diet, stable housing, supportive family and friends network, a existence that's not full of stress and trouble, and daily pharmaceutical quality (meaning, pure, not street-quality) heroin doses administered by a qualified doctor, kept at a stable unchanging level in her body." I mean really why should a drug addict be just given these things because they got pregnant.. No im sorry but they need to earn, work towards, and cultivate them like every other person on earth. If a drug addict cant get these things because of the drugs then the drugs are the problem.

Then compare her to a mom who is running the streets, not eating right, homeless, having no prenatal care, and who is taking methadone, but getting it off the street on a unreliable schedule so that her body is not maintained at a constant level with the drug and she lapses into withdrawal on the regular.

This doesn't sound like a Mom to me.. sounds more like an out of control drug addict who is pregnant.

Khad I very happy for you that you and your baby are doing amazing<3

What about my son? Did I have no business having him?

I got pregnant when a condom broke while I was on methadone treatment after getting clean off heroin. I didnt even know I was pregnant until I was over 3 months into it. By that time I couldn't bear the idea of an abortion. And detoxing while pregnant is life threatening for the baby. So I stayed on methadone, to keep my baby safe. I had him, he didnt need any medication or any detoxing, and hes perfectly healthy and normal. You dont know the situation of everybody put in the position of being physically dependent on a drug and then finding that they are pregnant, so u want to keep judging, or take a minute and learn a bit?

A baby is actually harmed MORE by the withdrawal than by the drug. Opiates are non-teratogenic. Im definitely not speaking for other drugs like coke, stimulants, antidepressants, benzos, etc, because they all fall into different classes, but Im talking about opiates alone here.

The danger and damage to a baby in the womb of a woman addicted to heroin , for example, is overwhelmingly caused NOT by the drug, but by shitty lifestyle--little to no prenatal care, no prenatal vitamins, poor diet and/or mal- or under-nutrition, stressful environment, high co occurence of poly drug use or alcohol use, exposure to STDs and other diseases from unsafe injection or sex, and the BIGGEST factor--the unstability caused by the constant withdrawal/use cycle.

Dont get me wrong, I sure as hell aint saying that its all cool and good to just shoot dope while youre pregnant as long as you take your vitamins and whatever. But what I am pointing out is that in the case of OPIATES, THEY DO NOT CAUSE BRAIN DAMAGE. They are not poisonous to the infants development. Its not like drinking while pregnant, for example. Taking opiates does not cause birth defects or brain damage in the baby.

WITHDRAWAL on the other hand can cause DEATH of the baby.

True story, a woman and her baby would be SAFER, being provided competent medical and prenatal care, good nutrition, all the necessary shit that middle and upper class women with access to insurance and all that get during pregnancy, and given pharm. grade heroin by a doctor in monitored, timed doses, than she would be trying to kick during her pregnancy.

Is it the IDEAL situation to get pregnant while on any type of drug? No, for sure it aint.

But there is so much fucking misinformation out there about this particular subject, and so many of yall BUY IT, even here on BL! And it just makes me sick! approach the issue without a biased-as-fuck mind. Look at the FACTS, dont just "think with your gut".

My son had absolutely nothing wrong with him. NO issues, no developmental problems, nothing, hes completely healthy and ahead of his age group in a few areas too. And Yes, one personal experience really dont mean shit as far as statistics go, but if you actually research this shit and ANALYZE and look into the results with a critical mind youll find that the problems associated with the use of opiates during pregnancy DO NOT COME FROM THE DRUG ITSELF, but from the terrible lifestyle of many of the women who are addicted while pregnant. Its not the opiates thats the problem. The difference between a kid born to a mom whose running the streets, constantly getting dopesick and going thru W/D, using dirty needles, not eating right, not getting prenatal care, VS the mom who is on a methadone program and getting all the right care and nutrition and is in a stable environment, and youll see the difference. Its not the drug itself. Withdrawal is more toxic to a developing baby than an opiate being in its system. Its all in the way that she is living and the care and treatment shes getting.

Do you know if they put women addicted to heroin on methadone maintenance once they find out they are pregnant? I was hoping you would find this thread as I remembered that you did a ton of research on the topic and knew all about it.

I know someone personally who was using heroin off and on and decided to get on a buprenorphine program after consulting with her doctor once she found out she was pregnant. There were no issues with the pregnancy and the child is perfectly healthy, now attending school. I also know of others in some circles who've had healthy children while being on ORT. No problems with the children.

I went to school with a child who obviously suffered from fetal alcohol syndrome. There really is no comparing the two, opiates do not cause harm to babies. A lot of other drugs do. And everyone here, even I agree that it would be best if a mother didn't use any drugs at all during pregnancy, but a lot of people here don't understand opiod addiction, and I understand why they don't because I didn't either until I had experienced it.