Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

NSA Memo Says Agency Is 'Blurring The Lines' Between Terrorism And Drugs

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
NSA Memo Says Agency Is 'Blurring The Lines' Between Terrorism And Drugs
Matt Sledge
05/19/2014

The National Security Agency is "blurring the lines" between the war on drugs and the war on terror, according to a memo produced by the spy agency itself and published Monday by Glenn Greenwald's new website The Intercept.

The partially classified 2004 memo, written by an unnamed NSA employee who served as the Drug Enforcement Administration's "account manager," provides one of the most revealing glimpses yet at the ways counterterrorism and counternarcotics operations have melded since Sept. 11, 2001.

Counternarcotics has been a major Defense Department mission since 1989, when President George H.W. Bush gave a speech announcing ramped up funding for a militarized approach to the drug war. Three months later, the U.S. invaded Panama, ostensibly to combat drug trafficking under strongman leader Manuel Noriega.

In the memo, the manager for the NSA -- a Defense Department component -- says the drug war "has all the risks, excitement, and dangers of conventional warfare, and the stakes are equally high … But many are not aware that from the start NSA has been at the forefront of Intelligence Community (IC) support to this seemingly unconventional (Department of Defense) mission."

The memo was published in conjunction with a new Intercept story detailing how the NSA recorded "virtually every" cell phone call in the small island nation of the Bahamas. The spy agency reportedly used a DEA "backdoor" to gain access to Bahamian cell phone networks.

In another document published by The Intercept, the NSA bragged about finding someone who shipped marijuana from Mexico to the United States.

And this isn't the first time the two agencies' "vibrant two-way information sharing relationship" (as the memo puts it) has been in the news.

In August, Reuters revealed that the NSA helped source information for a secretive DEA unit called the Special Operations Division. The NSA's information-gathering role was then obscured through a process called "parallel construction" when the drug agency brought criminal charges.

Just months after the 9/11 attacks, the Office of National Drug Control Policy compared the drug and terror wars in a highly criticized Super Bowl ad. Since then, the DEA has become heavily involved in counterterrorism efforts: In Afghanistan alone, the agency has 79 employee positions.

But the other side of the partnership -- the NSA's heavy involvement in counternarcotics -- could raise more questions for critics of the agency. The agency has repeatedly hammered on the threat of terrorism as a justification for its wide-ranging surveillance apparatus. But former contractor Edward Snowden's documents show the agency is using its powers in unrelated ways -- like spying on German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

The memo says the NSA plays a "critical supporting role … in key DEA operations to disrupt the flow of narcotics to our country and thwart other, related crimes."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/19/nsa-drug-war_n_5353819.html

Terrorism is the perfect bogeyman and the pretext for everything the NSA does, but in reality, drug crime is way, way bigger than terrorism. I would wager that the number of U.S. drug cases that were fraudulently prosecuted using parallel construction is enormous. I suspect it every time I hear of a major drug bust where a vehicle was searched on the pretext of a minor traffic violation.

The smart traffickers are going to be much more careful about how they use cell phones from now on.

If you think about the "patriot" act and its provisions it starts to get scary. That awful legislation needs to be repealed.

If you think about the "patriot" act and its provisions it starts to get scary. That awful legislation needs to be repealed.

Yes that law is scary mainly because most of it is classified, and how if they want to imprison anyone for any reason they hypothetically could.

Yes that law is scary mainly because most of it is classified, and how if they want to imprison anyone for any reason they hypothetically could.

Yes, without a charge, without access to a lawyer, without a trial, indefinitely. I love how they said they needed to infringe or rather negate the rights that were drawn to protect us from them, in order to protect us.. what a scam.. and the retards in the legislative panicked and bought into it hook line and sinker.

Im not sure what you mean as classified though, you can read the whole act i think?

The smart traffickers are going to be much more careful about how they use cell phones from now on.

Yeah, in some recent busts the police have seized quantities of encrypted phones from drug traffickers which is said to use "end to end" encryption, often on heavily modified blackberrys and smartphones to avoid the mass NSA data gathering.

Yes, without a charge, without access to a lawyer, without a trial, indefinitely. I love how they said they needed to infringe or rather negate the rights that were drawn to protect us from them, in order to protect us.. what a scam.. and the retards in the legislative panicked and bought into it hook line and sinker.

Im not sure what you mean as classified though, you can read the whole act i think?

http://www.wired.com/2011/05/secret-patriot-act/

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...-page-counts-of-secret-patriot-act-documents/

I had no idea.. given the government's record in dealing with anything lately i have much less fear than I ever have. If they have any chance at doing anything they better clear there overburdened plate until all thats left is what matters. with the advent of the modern technology the illusion of power they have used in the past is totaly exposed.. it shows where the true power always has been.. with the people. The only way they have power is if we concede it to them. They better fall in line as servants of the people, thats there fucking job.