• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

novel lichen with hallucinogenic properties that nobody knows about

asecin

Bluelighter
i found this page on wikipedia; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dictyonema
check out this at the bottom; An unidentified species of Dictyonema, possibly Dictyonema sericeum, is called nenendape by the Huaorani of Amazon jungle of Ecuador. An infusion is made with this lichen that causes intense hallucinations due to high contents in both DMT and Psilocybin, and it is used by the shaman to call upon malevolent spirits to curse people. It is also used to cause sterility.

what the hell is this. i never seen a single article or any person in the world mentioning this. this lichen, if potent hallucinogen, is legal and likely easy to acquire. Can you please help me with more nformation on this!? I hope the people on this part of the forum have some knowledge to add to this :s

thats the only abstract out there it seems; https://bioone.org/journals/the-bry...sidiomycete/10.1639/0007-2745-117.4.386.short

wtf is holding anyone from exploring this further? it seems amazing and nobody gives a shit. unbelievable. the fact that you can gather this moss and bring it to US without any interference from the government is so enticing!

Last edited:
wtf is holding anyone from exploring this further? it seems amazing and nobody gives a shit. unbelievable. the fact that you can gather this moss and bring it to US without any interference from the government is so enticing!

Lichens tend to have very slow growth rates, and they tend to be very sensitive to air quality and other environmental changes. The complex symbiotic relationship between the algae and the fungus that make up the lichen itself means that you likely can't just grow these at home; heck, you might even have trouble growing them in a lab. You know how they say "x doesn't grow on trees" to indicate that something is difficult to obtain? Well, here the fact that it *does* grow on trees makes it *more* difficult to obtain, because you can't just farm the lichens on a field, and you'd probably have to climb a whole lot of trees to satisfy more than the demand of a small Amazonian village.
Not to mention that the Amazon rainforest tends to be chock full of all sorts of dangers besides falling off a tree branch hundreds of miles away from the nearest emergency room - anacondas, piranhas, caimans, illegal gold miners, angry natives, a whole slew of parasites and diseases, that fish that may or may not be trying to swim up your urethra...

Psilocybe cubensis, on the other hand, can literally grow on shit, or in an easily-concealed grow box in someone's closet (whereas lichens are photosynthetic, and thus require light). Its spores are hardy and easy to smuggle, and in some places you can easily find the mushroom growing in the wild. There is an abundance of shroom cultivars (and even wild-type psilocybe cubensis contains enough psilocybin that a few grams of dried mushroom can induce intense psychedelic effects), as well as guides on how to grow them, whereas there is almost zero info on psychedelic lichens. In short, there is no way for some jungle lichen to match the logistics advantage of good old psilocybe spp.

If you want "legal" shrooms to stick it to "the man", you might as well just get some 4-AcO-DMT (or any of the many, many other semi-legal 4-substituted tryptamines).

That said, it is pretty interesting that the fungal part of these lichens are basidiomycota (i.e. actual "mushrooms"), whereas the vast majority of lichenized fungi are members of the phylum ascomycota (basically molds).
It is actually pretty fascinating to consider that not only are lysergamide-producing symbiotic fungi responsible for the psychoactive nature of morning glory plants, but that there are apparently psylocybin-producing fungi living symbiotically with plants (well, algae) to form psychoactive lichens... so, still a cool find, despite not really being viable source of tryptamines unless you live in the jungle.

Last edited:
the fact that you can gather this moss and bring it to US without any interference from the government is so enticing!

i don't think the DEA cares what kind of plants you're importing, if they contain scheduled substances like psilocin or DMT they are illegal. this means they don't have to have an exhaustive list of banned species, "oh these mushrooms are OK because they are Psilocybe whateverii and not P. cubescens"

uhm im pretty sure nobody knows this obscure moss contains any psychoative substances. seriously easy to sneak in US but problem is as the other guy mentioned, its too difficult to find. if it was easier to gather and even easier to grow BAM loophole and lots of money

Obviously you're right, sneaking it past customs mignt be easy for a while, but if it's tested for drug;s for any reason it would still be seized.

It woild be interesting to see if you coukd grow the stuff in a lab environment. I wonder if it's making the DMT etc. itself, or merely absorbing it from the trees it grows on (I was under the impression there's several species of trees that produce DMT in that part of the world.) It would be a cool experiment, growing it indoors and maybe determining if its growth can be optimized.

well, i have to start somewhere. im going to check tickets to ecuador, some vacational spots etc. im curious to try their guinea pig dish :) also im sure there are dozen of interesting medicinal plants and other psychoactive herbs.
im thinking of taking pre-oders for that moss if i manage to get a bunch of it. we shall see

Very interesting. I'm fascinated by as-yet-relatively-undiscovered psychoactive plants. I posted in PD about one, I think I'm going to post a thread in here, about a psychoactive orchid species that contains novel alkaloids unrelated to previously known psychoactives. However I can't even find any first-person accounts of the effects. The only mention I find is that a tribe substitutes it for peyote.

shadowmeister, i would like to know more please. post all information you have on this. is it another plant in the tropics of south america?

I posted a separate thread in here about it.

ok i couldnt find anything. i was hoping you can post url on here but.... whatever

wow this is very interesting. i am damn curious and wish to find out more now!
did asecin leave to ecuador already gathering this mold? because he hasnt logged in a while now.
but anyway, i would love more information on this as it is year old!