• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Novel (and simple) scaffold for new hallucinogenic compounds.

Feretile

Bluelighter
Is anyone else familiar with the novel anoretic lorcaserin (Belviq)?

(1R)-8-CHLORO-1-METHYL-2,3,4,5-TETRAHYDRO-1H-3-BENZAZEPINE

US Patent 3716639A Anorexigenic tetrahydrobenzazepines
US Patent 3483185A N-substituted 2,3,4,5-tetrahydro-1h-3-benzazepines

it has hallucinogenic properties at higher than approved doses and users could develop psychiatric dependencies on the drug. (according to DEA). On 7 May 2013, DEA classified lorcaserin as a Schedule IV drug under the CSA act.

You will note that the benzapine ring, being 7-membered, has a 3D shape. If you overlay lorcvaserin & dexamphetamine, you will notice that the benzenes & amines ovcerlay PERFECTLY. I suspect that the methyl side-chain is to provide rigidity so that the benzapine ring will always 'bend' towards the (S).

Even the early patents (and over 100 patents cover the compound stretching back almost 70 years. What they all have in common is that the position of the ring substitution is ALWAYS meta & is ALWAYS a halide.... in fact, in all post 1974 patents, it's always a chloro.

'Lorcaserin selectively activates the central serotonin 2C receptor over the 2A and 2B receptors and reduces appetite by binding to the 5HT-2C receptors on anorexigenic POMC neurons in the hypothalamus.'

So, maybe tucked away in some paper is the QSAR of tetrahydrobenzapine 5HT2a affinity. Of course, recent research has seen -Cl ---> -OCH3 & the methyl on the benzapine ring being replacved by a phenyl ring. This lends NMDA affinity.....

Still, it's that age old dream. We discovered 5H2a binging tryptamines & PEAs in natural compounds. Ibogaine (and relatives) has a benzapine which, I am prepared to bet, overlays the N in aMT. I think the unpleasant effecvts of ibogaine are due to the 5-MeO moiety. I mean, 5-MeO DMT is just terrible & 5-MeO AMT can be deadly (and has been). As I have noted elsewhere, a 7-Methyl on a tryptamine ring always seems to improve subjective effects be they trippy or lovey.

So - anybody else prepared to put in the hours looking for more benzapines with 5HT2a affinity. The above represents many hours of work.

Last edited:
Is lorcasine approved anywhere in europe?

Is lorcasine approved anywhere in europe?

I don't know BUT if you want to know if ANY drug is prescribed USFDA DMFs, CEP/COS', Approved Drugs in U.S., Canada, Australia, South Africa, Japan & 'Lots More' to use their happy phrase, here's 1 site with them all listed and it's all 100% free with no registration (so use a VCPN please).

https://www.pharmacompass.com/manufacturers-suppliers-exporters/lorcaserin ;specifically the compound you asked about

https://www.pharmacompass.com/ ;the home page of Pharma Compass.

So, 11 manufacturers hold licences to sell it to the US DMF (drug master file) i.e. it's an orphan drug. I bet whole production lines were built to make it so I bet their will be stiff competition fo analogues in which the -Cl is replaced by a -CH3, -OCH3 or an -SCH 3 (the first 3 moieties I would try). The reason for this is that the -Cl is in exactly the same spot as the para position of a PEA so it seems to me like the place (and in the order) to start. I'm sure none of us wants to see something like 'Flatliners' AKA 4MTA or XMA (a mixture of p-TAP & amphetamine. A single 1Kg batch was tied to 6 deaths - evil sh*t).

As I noted, Lorcvaserin is chiral and if one overlays the aromatic of dexamphetamine (or better, (S) p-Cl amphetamine), the 2 amine moieties overlay perfectly. Of course, Pihkal demonstrates that secondary (N-alkyl) amphetamines are much less active than primary (plain amphetamines) in 5HT2a activcity.
Of course, Shulgin did trial SOME alkyl amphetamines:

He also made a dew N-ethyl, N-butyl & N-allyl examples but what the above list shows us that with PEAs at least, entactogens are improved by the addition of an N-methyl, psychedelics are spoilt.

The last word on trippy benzapine ---> PEA is French Patent 2441615A 'Process for the Production of 1,2,4,5-Tetrahydro-alcvoxy & 7,8-Dialcoxy-3H-3-Benzapines & Their Substituted Derivatives in Position 3 from the Corresponding Phenylethylamines & Derivatives Obtained'

Of course, it's NOT hard to convcert a benzapine into an opioid:

I'm sure we can all think of simple modifications that would increase potency by 2 orders of magnitude placing it in the range of fentanyl.

-

Ok these anilopam type opioids are new to me.

Ok these anilopam type opioids are new to me.
Hit the patents - their are a few about benzapine opioids. Pentwell developed the 1,2,3,4-tetrahydroisoquinilone opioids from anilopan. Just look what patent & papers your patent cites.... and which patents cite it.