Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Not the same after MDMA

blacksheep101

Greenlighter
Hi, I'm a first time poster here.

I know this post may seem a bit silly considering many here are experienced in this realm. I know this is a bit of a long story, but I wanted to see if someone could relate to what happened to me and maybe explain somethings.
I was doing some online research on long-term effects of taking MDMA, but all the accounts I read were people who were taking MDMA on numerous accounts, exceeding amounts and consecutively during a short time period. I couldn't find a lot on long-term affects from one-time use.

I want to share my experience of my one-time MDMA use.

In October, I went to a rave at an indoor club and was convinced by a friend to take some MDMA. I had no prior knowledge of the drug. Before hand he convinced me that it was a harmless drug, that gave you a clean, euphoric high. But that it was a pure version of E. Skeptically, I took a pill before arriving to the rave, not knowing exactly what it was or what was in it. At this time, I had experienced psychedelics before in the form of mushrooms on numerous occasions and was convinced that I was ready for a more intense trip and that I could handle whatever it threw at me. This type of thinking had helped in preparation for psychedelic trips before and I thought it would do the same in this aspect.

We arrived at the bar, and now I was starting to feel what I call the 'climbing' feel of the drug. The feeling I resemble as climbing the first hill of a roller coaster before you are about to drop. This feeling lasted about 20-30 minutes, but when it amounted to no 'climatic euphoric high' I felt extremely disappointed. My friend who I was rolling with, had taken MDMA probably 4-5 times before this, and suggested I take another pill. He has A.D.D. and has taken ritalin his whole life, and was ball of energy all the time. So for him, MDMA was probably his sanctuary whenever he went out to party. I should probably add that I am under 5'5'' and underweight for my height, so it doesn't take much for me to feel the affect of anything on my body (from medications, to caffine, to pot) Stupidly enough, I took the second pill not thinking about the compounding effects.

Soon enough, I was rolling hard, in the middle of the crowd enjoying this amazing feeling. It felt like every cell in my body was ejaculating simultaneously and I could feel the electronic music pulsate through my body, and let the lights dance around me as I moved hypnotically to the beat of the music.

When the second pill kicked in I started feeling some adverse, negative effects. First of, I was sweating profusely, and it felt like I was going to dehydrate myself by just dancing so I downed the bottle of water I was holding in seconds. Then I started feeling intense waves of anxiety, to the point where my aura was rubbing off on other people around me. I suddenly realized and remembered how claustrophobic I can feel when I'm in crowds, just because I am a small person and I can't through my weight/height around like other people to give them room in crowds, and closed-in spaces. Then I started to notice, for the first time, that a majority of the crowd was under the influence of some drug or another, and this added to my anxiety. I could just imagine "all these people are just exposed nerve endings, touching each other, sending neurons to each other, and I am in the middle of this building cauldron of tension, waiting to explode like a bomb."

I don't know why, but as soon as that thought crept into my brain, I noticed a lot of people were moving the opposite direction of the stage. This created a lot of tension on the crowd. Everyone was sweating, and arguing and asking the other to move. I would turn my ahead and get dirty looks from one direction, and then look in the other and see people almost fist fighting to an extent, just to get their way out of the crowd, but then totally forget that it even happened the next minute. At this point, I couldn't even concentrate on the music and all I wanted to do was leave the scene to get to a different environment and relax.

When we finally got out of the room, ordered a few drinks from the bar, that didn't feel like anything as I downed them. I had lock-jaw and had been grinding my teeth for what seemed like forever, so I thought gum and chain-smoking would help this. More importantly though, I was feeling massive bouts of depression because I had realized everything I was feeling was chemically induced, and this bothered me to a great extent. Everything became a very analytical process. All I could see were a bunch of phonies, acting fake because they were on drugs. To me, my perception of everyone was that they were worshiping a false god.

This is where I realized drugs are just not my thing. The after-effects were definitely noticeable, as it was hard to distinguish between emotions, maintain happiness at a genuine level, and not be miserable all the time.

The only thing is, afterwards my life took a total downward spiral for the next 4 months. I was trying to get back with my ex during this MDMA experience, and later on I got in a fight with my ex, who broke my heart even though we weren't dating. After a huge argument with two of my close friends at that time (one of which was the guy I went to the rave with), I cut them completely out of my life with no remorse. I disassociated myself with a lot of my high school friends who I had been hanging out with up until that time. I never did any hard drugs since then. Never went out, didn't feel like socializing at all and drank alcoholic substances a lot more. And now, I have cut down on smoking pot habitually (which is something I used to love) to the point where one puff makes me anxious/paranoid.

I have to admit, that a change in my life like this was bound to happen. But at this point I find it hard to properly manage my anxiety and depression, to the point where I am beginning to develop a type of social anxiety.Just being around people, sometimes can make me fluster, sweat and ramble. I've noticed I am moodier and more cynical. I can't tell if my brain function has dramatically been affected by this experience, but sometimes I just can't think straight. My guitar playing has gotten significantly sloppier, to the point where I have forgotten how to play how I used to.... and this itself is enough to make me want to give up playing entirely.

I must note, that I do generally do still feel happy and excited about life. I can't help shake the feeling that the effects of MDMA have not been thoroughly been researched to the point where people can brush off permanent affects of one-time use. I can't help but feel like this one drug experienced changed my life forever.

Interesting... OK for one thing, you don't know if the substance was in fact MDMA, it may have been one of a range or combination of substances, however, it would appear that it was, to some degree psychedelic.

You were trippin' balls and you saw interactions in the crowd which may have been real, part real, or fully imagined.
It would appear that you had some insightful visions of the world stripped of veneers, which were probably akin to an epiphany.
I have had visions like this, at large events when tripping hard or candy flipping, and I am sure that I am not the only one. They can be quite uncomfortable, awe inspiring, scary and revealing.
However there is one thing to keep in mind, and that is that nothing in the world has actually changed. The only thing that is different, is that you have peeled back some layers of the onion, or stripped some paint off.

What you saw, may be a part of "the truth" or it may be a drug induced illusion, that's for you to decide.
How you deal with it is also your choice, and from your story, you don't appear to have dealt with it in a positive fashion. OK, you had some dramas in your life following this event, but they were going to happen anyway? And how were these stumbling blocks affected by the drug event?

Were you susceptible to anxiety etc prior to taking this substance?

I don't know what else to say, except that I don't think its fair to say that "my life changed due to MDMA "without having fully identified the substance (impossible now), And also as you alluded to, these things may have changed in your life anyway, and this event may have just been a catalyst.

"When we finally got out of the room, ordered a few drinks from the bar, that didn't feel like anything as I downed them. I had lock-jaw and had been grinding my teeth for what seemed like forever, so I thought gum and chain-smoking would help this. More importantly though, I was feeling massive bouts of depression because I had realized everything I was feeling was chemically induced, and this bothered me to a great extent. Everything became a very analytical process. All I could see were a bunch of phonies, acting fake because they were on drugs. To me, my perception of everyone was that they were worshiping a false god."

Acting fake? What is acting fake? Is happiness fake just because it's a bunch of chemicals being released in your brain? As you have noticed even with those chemicals you still weren't happy, it's safe to say it's not 100% chemicals. You know, you can argue with people all you want, you can lie to yourself that it's THEM who have problems, but in the end, they give up and go back to their friends and their lives and here you are. People take drugs at a party to loosen up and connect with one another (at least I hope so). When you consider that fake maybe this was bound to happen, maybe your ex had something to do with it.

Also, you shouldn't try to "maintain" happiness and not be miserable, if you are satisfied with your life happiness comes on it's own. If your not satisfied, then fix it and do something about it.

Yeah i definitely think MDMA can change brain chemistry, making people more susceptible to anxiety and paranoia for some people. So for example weed can induce minor psychosis, where it had no such effect before MD use. I cant back it up with reports or anything but it is something ive seen alot of people on here report as well as friends.

Don't worry though, the brain is amazingly adaptable and all changes are reversible. Just try not to focus on it or force any feeling at all. It may just not be your thing, its good you realise this.

Also its weird i got the whole 'fakeness' vibe when i last took 2cb. It wasn't unenjoyable or uncomfortable but it felt like i could read everybody's intentions which all lacked originality. Anybody know what thats about ??

Bunnymunro, I would have to agree with you entirely. I love the way you put it, "The only thing that is different, is that you have peeled back some layers of the onion, or stripped some paint off."

I may have been exaggerating when saying, it changed my life completely. But being a musician, my connection to the creative source/soul of the world means everything in the world to me. Nothing in the world has changed, but sometimes my mind is playing tricks on me. I did not deal with the aftermath in a positive fashion. Which could have compounded into why I continue to feel the way I do.

I don't know, taking shrooms before I've always been able to think my way out of anxiety or mental loops using breathing techniques to calm myself down when ever I got that awe inspiring or revealing feeling that was overwhelming. I am a firm believer in mind over matter, and using meditation to improve my well-being. I like to think of myself as the type of person who embraces change, and sees people for who they really are. I often welcome life changing experiences because I feel that sometimes it is the only way to evolve from our mundane stagnant life.
I would like to reiterate that I wasn't seeing lights as much as them being extremely vivid and glowing.
Later on, talking to my buddy that I rolled with, he explained to me that I had just taken too much at once. He reassured me that what we had taken was the purest stuff, off a guy he knew. (but you're right, who knows what else was mixed in that pill)

I would like to add some background information. All my life I feel like I've been going against the grain, not fit into any groups, or had a 'best friend' to be with me through a long period of time. Usually, I'm too mature and experienced in higher levels of consciousness for me to have stimulating intellectual conversations, and vibe with people. But i usually bring myself to their level, so that I can belong.
So when I say some of these changes were bound to happen…I mean that at that phase in my life, I was realizing that my close friends weren't really treating me with the upmost respect and equality. Sooner or later, I was going to find out that my ex did not always have the same level of feelings for me as I did for her. And seeing her earlier that night, did not help at all.

Prior to this event, I was highly susceptible to depression, and I've had trouble with what it seems my whole life. Moreover, being more independent, and also being a musician I was totally fine with dealing with anxiety. I don't care what I look like on stage, but I often play worse in front of bigger crowds. I just feel like that is natural stage fright. Even being in crowds, I used to love being right at the front of the stage and in mosh pits. But never again will I ever go to a rave due to that claustrophobic, zombie feel of the crowd.

I remember distinctively that the club I was at, was too high-end. It was in a downtown city. Everyone was dressed up nice, and judging each other. I personally hate going to clubs anyways for that reason. No one goes to just have a good time and dance anymore. I thought we were going to rave where everyone would be dressed in bright clothes. So right away, the setting was not optimal for me to try it my first time.

It's not like the months after this, I was going around looking for a fight with my friends. My negative, depressive, cynical aura seemed to attract these unfortunate series of events. My thought is, maybe I would be able to keep my cool, not take things too seriously, and hold on to those 'friendships' if I hadn't been affected by this drug experience.

To Dezz, "Acting fake? What is acting fake? Is happiness fake just because it's a bunch of chemicals being released in your brain? As you have noticed even with those chemicals you still weren't happy, it's safe to say it's not 100% chemicals. You know, you can argue with people all you want, you can lie to yourself that it's THEM who have problems, but in the end, they give up and go back to their friends and their lives and here you are. People take drugs at a party to loosen up and connect with one another (at least I hope so). When you consider that fake maybe this was bound to happen, maybe your ex had something to do with it."

What I mean by people acting fake is this….when taken MDMA, people can't help but to feel naturally good and amazing no matter what. People are usually very touching, warm and loving. For some reason I could not connect to people in this way. My buddy's girlfriend was trying to console me the entire time of my bad trip, and I felt her love but I could not get it across to her that she could never understand what I feel. No matter how much of a serotonin shotgun this was to my blood stream, I couldn't just let go. To be honest, I've never been more happier in my life while just being sober and appreciating life for what it is. So you hit the nail on the head there.

To oscthebooklad, "Don't worry though, the brain is amazingly adaptable and all changes are reversible. Just try not to focus on it or force any feeling at all. It may just not be your thing, its good you realise this.Also its weird i got the whole 'fakeness' vibe when i last took 2cb. It wasn't unenjoyable or uncomfortable but it felt like i could read everybody's intentions which all lacked originality. Anybody know what thats about ??"

Perhaps, you reached a higher level of consciousness yourself, just by going through a lot of spiritual awakenings. You're right, the more I let myself think something changed me and went wrong, I will be soon be convinced that is true. I refuse to let myself think that this moment changed my life. I too have seen people go down the drain after taking E or MDMA often, and I only did it once :p. It's more natural paranoia I have, to keep things perfect and genuine. I'm trying to analyze the way people see me now, v.s. then. So far they tell me I am more true to my heart and speak my mind more. I have become more head-strong, opinionated and simply don't really give two fucks about what people think about me. Although, interactions still give me a type of anxiety I never really felt before. I truly do believe that this type of thinking in my head, and transformation was bound to happen and that the drug experience was a catalyst. But I realized that I have a lot of anger and sadness built up in me from the series of unfortunate events that I have to let go before I can be the normal me again.

From now on, I'm going to try to fly straight and sober until I feel like my brain function has returned to relative normality and to a point where I can handle my anxiety no matter the disposition or condition I'm in.

Hey thanks for sharing... i have had some pretty strange experiences with mdma use.
I like how i know exactly what you meant when you said evryone acting fake. For me this happens sober while experiencing a mild depression. hadnthad it happen while on one. However thesecond time taking mdma i was depressed. I have noticed mdma significantly changed my perception and moodonce i was becoming a. pessimistic person vs having the usual optomistic viewpoint. Last time i experienced a devil/angel in my head. Which actually affected me for a good while after. Tv was different music spoke to me and i was under the impression that evetyone knew something... much like paranoid delusions but the opposite...like they were all on my side.. it wad strange because it would alter between that and paranoia. Anyways my point is mdma caused some strange changes well after the trip. Also for most people mdma use breaks barriers lessens fear.With my best friend shes scared of the dark and this does not go away. She may forget for a moment but once she realizes the lights are out she freaks so it doesnt surprise me you had a bad experience. Also while depressed its as though all i can pick up is negative body language.

You dont know if you took was mdma or even mda. In 2012 all ecstasy pills randomly sent in tested 24% had md**, the rest were bunk. Dont take my word for it research it yourself.

so thats the first thing you dont know. Ive rolled about thirty times and Ive had the fake feeling your talking about where insight happens and you just feel bad. That said, that happened one time about the 20th time I rolled. The first and second time were magical. the only way to know is test and thats a fact