• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Not getting high from methadone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah, one more quick question: I know everybody says methadone withdrawals are the worst of the opiates by far, mostly due to the long half life. My question is that being on a very high dose of 220 mg, if I were in a position where I was forced to abruptly withdraw if for example I couldn't pick up my doses and had stopped for several days, would the INTENSITY of the withdrawals still be as bad as heroin (or worse) or would it just be bad and uncomfortable but still less painful than dope withdrawal in the short term only?

Hey, quit hijacking my topic, you! ;) j/k

I was gonna say though that despite many people being anti-methadone and calling it "liquid handcuffs", I have not personally had that experience - at least not yet. In Canada or at least in BC you don't have to go to the clinic every day to get your dose; you get it at any old pharmacy like you would for any other prescription. Again, it not only functions as an essential maintenance drug, but also mitigates or completely clears my IBS symptoms, stuffy nose, depression (not always but more often) and even helps my migraines. I see no reason to ever go off of it at this point in time anyway. However, I'm still always hot and sweating a TON all the time - that is annoying as HELL. It also caused me to gain a ton of weight which is very hard to get rid of, even though I don't eat much and what I eat is usually fairly healthy. In less than a year, I shot up to nearly 230 lbs from 180. As far as methadone causing bones and teeth to rot, that is a complete myth and there is no evidence whatsoever to support that. It DOES cause dry mouth however, so indirectly it can harm your teeth if you don't take extra good care of them.

Perfect, thank you for saying this!
I was in Ottawa a year ago and know how effective the system is..
Dry mouth and weight loss + constipation were some issues I had to deal with, it improves when you lower the dosage.
Anyway, good luck to you, all you've said is true. :)
Edit: The higher the dose, less painful to decrease. It really gets bad below 45-30 mg. above that is totally manageable. IME

Thanks man, good luck to you too if you're still on it. During the dark days of severe addiction, I remember feeling very doubtful that I could ever live my life again without shooting up. It seems that not only has the methadone made that not be the case, it makes it seem like no big deal as well. It holds me, it solves my problems, and I therefore have no cravings or urges -physical or psychological - to start using again. In addition, I know it's nearly impossible to "break through" the high dose I'm on. I remember a few months ago I shot 3 8 mg dillies at a time (a dose that would quite easily kill an opiate naive person) and not only did it do nothing whatsoever, it actually precipitated mild withdrawal! My pupils got huge and I started sweating. I guess it temporarily "kicked off" some of the methadone bound to my receptors because the withdrawal feeling went away after just a couple hours.

Thanks man, good luck to you too if you're still on it. During the dark days of severe addiction, I remember feeling very doubtful that I could ever live my life again without shooting up. It seems that not only has the methadone made that not be the case, it makes it seem like no big deal as well. It holds me, it solves my problems, and I therefore have no cravings or urges -physical or psychological - to start using again. In addition, I know it's nearly impossible to "break through" the high dose I'm on. I remember a few months ago I shot 3 8 mg dillies at a time (a dose that would quite easily kill an opiate naive person) and not only did it do nothing whatsoever, it actually precipitated mild withdrawal! My pupils got huge and I started sweating. I guess it temporarily "kicked off" some of the methadone bound to my receptors because the withdrawal feeling went away after just a couple hours.

Absolutely. I was on Methadone for seven years, not a single relapse. It's a great and clever medication.
I am now giving it a break, so I feel I have the control and will get that natural endorphin back again.
It's not that easy though but in your case, priorities first.
Keep up and good luck!
BTW, we loved going back to Canada. It feels like home to me..:)

Not me, I have already made it through.. 7 years and now zero. It takes time but you shouldn't discourage people like this..don't generalize from what you may think is realistic.

That's the thing, you don't know me.
I have willpower and became quite successful in life regardless of my surgeries, pains or my childhood.

I have my wife, my children my own beliefs about winning based on my experience but you don't know the thinnest thing about me.

Besides I have a great job, it keeps me busy, have been employed since I was 14. Made a great future to my kids, and theirs. No, you don't know me..

I know people who succeeded already 27 years ago being on methadone even longer than me.

If YOU can't, you won't ever understand those who can.

I didn't say it was impossible to get off of. I just said the way the whole system is set up is unethical as fuck.

As for myself, I have chronic pain and I am gonna stay on pain medication. I don't need to justify the severity of my injuries on an online forum but the pain is the reason I always went back on pain medication.

You can cold turkey kick right off that shit. I is entirely possible. I have cold turkey kicked off of extremely high doses of pain medications and have had friends stop paying their methadone clinic and get finacially detoxed from over 200 mgs.

I am not discouraging anyone's recovery. Not that this is really the "I want on methadone" thread. But hey thanks for skimming my posts and trying to undermine it with some AA bullshit.

Well if you're asking my opinion, I completely agree that methadone is NOT for everyone. Too many doctors out there see nothing but dollar signs and junkies rather than legitimately wanting to help someone get their life back. It's obviously a bad idea to start MMT if your addiction was far milder than methadone itself, but even then I suppose it depends on the circumstances.

However people like myself who have been IV users of heroin, pills and basically any opiate we could get our hands on...we know what it's like to have that immense load bearing down on us every second of every day; what it's like to know our lives are ruined, we will end up in jail or dead, and we are essentially forced to live out the rest of out lives with extreme moods and nothing in between. How soon we forget. Yes, methadone has side effects like all drugs. No, it's definitely not for everybody and if someone makes the choice to kick without it, that's awesome - more power to you. But after years of being borderline suicidal, being awake all night for days on end with a severe knot in my stomach just waiting for the hell that is withdrawal to return, tens of thousands of dollars in debt, unemployed, having lost friends and even family, and overall the crushing depression that comes with the knowledge that your life is ruined...it's a bloody MIRACLE that there's something out there able to take me out of this abyss. I always used to look at people out working and think to myself "gee, how can they possibly have the energy to do this" - for something as simple as a guy mowing his lawn.

Seeing as how methadone does NOT generally hurt your body physically, is able to be taken orally and therefore our pin-cushion skins start healing, normally are able to receive carries for a week at a time before long etc. etc. it almost seems ungrateful to complain. I know for a fact that I would have lost decades off my life or else been in jail for the rest of it. Being able to work and above all, not have the unimaginable burden of waking up every day and going through hours of hell obtaining money and drugs only to repeat the process the next day and the day after that until the end...well all I can say is I am IMMENSELY grateful to my doctors and to the drug in general. Yeah I sweat more and have gained too much weight, but I can do something about that - which certainly was not the case with my addiction. I know that potential lifelong dependency is not perfect, but comparing it to the alternative (even if it were a TENTH as bad as it actually was) and I would go with the methadone every single time. It deserves my respect, and I feel exceptionally grateful with no desire to nitpick each and every one of its side effects. All-in-all I feel like the luckiest guy on earth just one year after desperately searching for locations in which to hang myself.

IMO your dose is too high and that's why your feeling euphoric. Addionally to you seem to have a fast metabolism which could account for why you still feel euphoric.. Your body is metabolizing the methadone quickly so instead of your levels staying constant and the euphoria fading as you stabilize, since your feeling a little sick everyday you feel the peak of your dose everyday more than someone would whose levels are consistent.. that's my reasoning anyways? Not a dr so I could be totally wrong. Maybe try doing split dosing and reducing your dose if you think... if your goal is to feel as close to "normal" as possible. In my mind this would be a logical way to try and keep the levels of the drug in your system as consistent and stable as possible. Again, I could be totally wrong, but I'm on methadone maintenence, have done a bit of research bc I have a fast metabolism and get sick at about 22 hrs fairly often, and the above reasoning and solutions seem logical to me.

IMO your dose is too high and that's why your feeling euphoric. Addionally to you seem to have a fast metabolism which could account for why you still feel euphoric.. Your body is metabolizing the methadone quickly so instead of your levels staying constant and the euphoria fading as you stabilize, since your feeling a little sick everyday you feel the peak of your dose everyday more than someone would whose levels are consistent.. that's my reasoning anyways? Not a dr so I could be totally wrong. Maybe try doing split dosing and reducing your dose if you think... if your goal is to feel as close to "normal" as possible. In my mind this would be a logical way to try and keep the levels of the drug in your system as consistent and stable as possible. Again, I could be totally wrong, but I'm on methadone maintenence, have done a bit of research bc I have a fast metabolism and get sick at about 22 hrs fairly often, and the above reasoning and solutions seem logical to me.

This is actually a really good point. I have previously considered the possibility that the morning withdrawal is because of a fast metabolism, but never the idea that the euphoria is there for similar reasons. I'm actually not really sure if euphoria is the right word, though..I thought that everbody is able to "feel" their methadone kick in at least with some opiate feeling associated with it. I don't mean to say that I feel like I just injected H, but it is undeniably similar to popping a bunch of percs. It's kind of similar to how I would feel long ago if I took a couple 200 mg codeine contins, only with a better feeling. With those, I never exactly felt amazing as with Dilaudid and H, but the effect was definitely there and lasted for a very long time. It's hard to say whether or not it's even decreased at all over time. It still makes me feel more or less as it used to.

So for anyone else on MMT, does this describe you as well? If not, are you able to please describe exactly what you experience after taking your daily dose, the strength, and how long it lasts for?

Well if you're asking my opinion, I completely agree that methadone is NOT for everyone. Too many doctors out there see nothing but dollar signs and junkies rather than legitimately wanting to help someone get their life back. It's obviously a bad idea to start MMT if your addiction was far milder than methadone itself, but even then I suppose it depends on the circumstances.

However people like myself who have been IV users of heroin, pills and basically any opiate we could get our hands on...we know what it's like to have that immense load bearing down on us every second of every day; what it's like to know our lives are ruined, we will end up in jail or dead, and we are essentially forced to live out the rest of out lives with extreme moods and nothing in between. How soon we forget. Yes, methadone has side effects like all drugs. No, it's definitely not for everybody and if someone makes the choice to kick without it, that's awesome - more power to you. But after years of being borderline suicidal, being awake all night for days on end with a severe knot in my stomach just waiting for the hell that is withdrawal to return, tens of thousands of dollars in debt, unemployed, having lost friends and even family, and overall the crushing depression that comes with the knowledge that your life is ruined...it's a bloody MIRACLE that there's something out there able to take me out of this abyss. I always used to look at people out working and think to myself "gee, how can they possibly have the energy to do this" - for something as simple as a guy mowing his lawn.

Seeing as how methadone does NOT generally hurt your body physically, is able to be taken orally and therefore our pin-cushion skins start healing, normally are able to receive carries for a week at a time before long etc. etc. it almost seems ungrateful to complain. I know for a fact that I would have lost decades off my life or else been in jail for the rest of it. Being able to work and above all, not have the unimaginable burden of waking up every day and going through hours of hell obtaining money and drugs only to repeat the process the next day and the day after that until the end...well all I can say is I am IMMENSELY grateful to my doctors and to the drug in general. Yeah I sweat more and have gained too much weight, but I can do something about that - which certainly was not the case with my addiction. I know that potential lifelong dependency is not perfect, but comparing it to the alternative (even if it were a TENTH as bad as it actually was) and I would go with the methadone every single time. It deserves my respect, and I feel exceptionally grateful with no desire to nitpick each and every one of its side effects. All-in-all I feel like the luckiest guy on earth just one year after desperately searching for locations in which to hang myself.

Bravo!!! Simply perfect!

I know how worthy is to be able to work, raise a very fine family, be healthy, and productive in life. Travel whenever I can and live a normal life.

For years, years coming in terms with the right dose and getting over the side effects! It's possible, of course!

Besides, when your moment comes, you can decrease and quit like I did.

I thank God and my fellow Germans for Methadone so does my family and friends!

I never needed to get it every day or every week. In some places, after you've proven to be trusted (another benefit) you may get them once every 3 months because we can!

Last edited:
Don't worry Bomb319!

You will get over the side effects and deal with the doses in due course..

Sometimes I have the impression that if I say whatever, ex. I tell that water is good, still lots of people will come against it. Lol

It's not the same thing obviously but there is a merit on what is truth about methadone.

All the best!

Last edited:
Thanks man :) Good luck to you too; it sounds like you're doing great, so keep it up!

I def. know what you mean though. Whenever something becomes popular/mainstream, a sizeable group of contrarians come out and oppose it just because of that popularity. Not saying this is always the case with methadone. I know that everybody has a unique metabolism, psyche, preferences, tolerance etc. and so methadone certainly will not be a blanket med for addiction that everybody can take in a standardized way and be "cured". But I also don't agree at all with calling it liquid handcuffs when it obviously has literally saved the lives of so many people! I'm so glad it's worked out for me so far. It reminds me of reading up on people's reactions to Methadose (red syrup that tastes worse than a Tylenol CWE). Every single topic I read about online discussing it said that they felt it was much weaker, didn't work very well or at all in some cases, etc. and advocating going back to the orange juice solution form since that stuff doesn't work. I knew that all forms of methadone have to be exactly the same by law in terms of active drug content. Binders and fillers may be different but that shouldn't affect it's efficacy in most people. When I started taking it, I found it to be exactly the same (if not a little better, but that was likely because I had also gone up by 20 mg since my last dose of the OJ).

Anyone know if there is a magic dosing range or possible dosing ceiling. Currently im at 210 and moving up to 230 over the next few weeks. Ive yet to last through 8 hours before i sart feeling WD. At the clinic im at they say everyone is different and i shouldnt worry about being at a high dose but im beginning to wonder. Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.