• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Northridge Man Wanted After Nitrous Crackdown

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
Law enforcement officials fanned out across the Southland Friday, making arrests and raiding auto parts stores and other businesses suspected of dealing in nitrous oxide -- an inhalant ostensibly offered as an engine booster, but frequently sold as a party drug known as "noz."

Authorities arrested three people on misdemeanor charges and served search warrants on 17 businesses and nine delivery vehicles during raids in Los Angeles, Orange and Riverside counties. A fourth person, 65-year-old William Victor of Northridge, was being sought by authorities.

The operation was the result of a 15-month investigation dubbed "No Laughing Matter" by the Food and Drug Administration's Office of Criminal Investigations and the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

The FDA has lately cracked down on the illegal use of nitrous oxide, also known as "laughing gas," which has lawful uses in dentistry and in whipped cream dispensers.

Two criminal complaints filed in Los Angeles federal court allege that the four defendants -- as well as storefronts across the Southland -- engaged in "misbranding" of nitrous oxide because they are distributing the compound for personal use without a prescription and in containers that do not include proper warning labels.

"Nitrous oxide is a dangerous inhalant when used for recreational purposes, and we want the public, especially parents, to be aware of its abuse by our youth," U.S. Attorney Andre Birotte Jr. said. "We also want those who choose to profit from the sale of nitrous oxide as a recreational drug to know that law enforcement is on your trail."

Nitrous -- commonly called "noz" by users -- is inhaled at raves and other events from balloons that are filled from large, compressed tanks.

During the past year, several teenagers in the Los Angeles area have been killed in car accidents linked to the use of nitrous, according to court records.

Sales of nitrous oxide as a drug have dramatically increased in Southern California over the past five years, according to the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department.

cont at
http://northridge.patch.com/articles/northridge-man-wanted-after-nitrous-crackdown

doesn't automotive nitrous have toxic adulterants? I've always heard this.

I thought that sometimes they add sulfides (methyl mercaptan, ethyl mercapan, dimethyl sulphide etc) as a "stinking" agent to prevent recreational use. But it could also be that "automotive" grades of nitrous contain more of the poisonous nitrogen oxides (e.g. nitrogen dioxide, NO2 - turns into nitric acid on contact with water..).

I would read the MSDS to be sure either way.

what a humongous waste of tax-payer dollars

who gives a shit if they take away nitrous, its a boring drug unless you combine it with a psychedelic

the only relatively safe inhalent out there as well, idiots!

I dont think ive ever heard of someone going though the incredible trouble to clean and scrub auto nitrous to a point where it would be good for recreational use. Ive always heard its just way easier to order whippets or go to Penn.

Crack down, crackers, i got it.

"During the past year, several teenagers in the Los Angeles area have been killed in car accidents linked to the use of nitrous, according to court records."

Driving suped up hot rods with nitrous tanks? Or driving with a balloon?

doesn't automotive nitrous have toxic adulterants? I've always heard this.

You have to attach a special filtering device if you want to use automotive nitrous. It is quite toxic otherwise from my understanding.