• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Norpramin / Desipramine for depression and ADD

QUARE

Bluelighter
My psychiatrist want to put me on Norpramin / Desipramine to help with depression and ADD. From what I read its a tricyclic antidepressant that inhibit the reuptake of norepinephrine and with lesser extent serotonin.

It is also found to be a potent neuropathic pain blocker.

It would act as an agonist of the sub unit alpha1 and alpha2 of adrenergic receptors, the sub unit 5-HT1a, 5-HT2a, 5-HT2b and 5-HT2c of serotonin receptors.

Anyway my question is, is there anyone that have experience with it, how does it feel, is it effective ?

I have never had Desipramine but i have had amitriptyline and Trimipramine which as you can guess by it's name is related to Desipramine. Trimipramine is basically a Norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor with strong anti-cholinergic properties and weak anti-psychotic properties. I do find that both amitriptyline and trimipramine improve my concentration and are some of the few anti-depressants i can take without sending me into a manic episode.

Tricyclics can be rather sedating but as Desipramine is a pretty potent Norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor and only has weak anti-cholinergic effects it should be much less sedating then say Amitriptyline or Trimipramine. Some people i know who have taken it find it kind of stimulating actually.

I have been taking desipramine (currently the cheap generic from Actavis) for depression intermittently since 2003, always returning to it after trying Wellbutrin, Lexapro, Prozac, Ludiomil, Remeron, Serzone, Zoloft, and Effexor. Desipramine is the only one that helped, although high doses caused shortness of breath, low-back pain, nightmares, stress, and anxiety. The key has been finding the correct dose, 5 mg. right now. An important discovery was that chocolate produces a synergistic effect with desipramine. Taking the drug in the evening right after a large serving of dark chocolate and 10 ounces of milk allows me to keep the dose, as well as prescription costs, low. It is not nearly as effective without chocolate during the day. But a problem is that, for me, the drug is addictive. Several times, increasing the dose made me more depressed but going down to a lower strength improved my mood, so finding the optimal one has been difficult. I am not complaining. My doctors have been reluctant to prescribe this antiquated medication, preferring to suggest the on-patent ones their drug reps are pushing, but I am so grateful for the positive change desipramine has made to my quality of life.

Hello. I read your post on 10/9/14. Did you take desipramine? I have been taking desipramine (currently the cheap generic from Actavis) for depression intermittently since 2003, always returning to it after trying Wellbutrin, Lexapro, Prozac, Ludiomil, Remeron, Serzone, Zoloft, and Effexor. Desipramine is the only one that helped, although high doses caused shortness of breath, low-back pain, nightmares, stress, and anxiety. The key has been finding the correct dose, 5 mg. right now. An important discovery was that chocolate produces a synergistic effect with desipramine. Taking the drug in the evening right after a large serving of dark chocolate and 10 ounces of milk allows me to keep the dose, as well as prescription costs, low. It is not nearly as effective without chocolate during the day. But a problem is that, for me, the drug is addictive. Several times, increasing the dose made me more depressed but going down to a lower strength improved my mood, so finding the optimal one has been difficult. I am not complaining. My doctors have been reluctant to prescribe this antiquated medication, preferring to suggest the on-patent ones their drug reps are pushing, but I am so grateful for the positive change desipramine has made to my quality of life.