• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Noob missed my shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

poisoned1

Bluelighter
I'm not sure what happened because I registered fine but I just missed a shot. I'm new at this so I am not sure if that's dangerous or not. i searched and some say yes and some say no. I'm also wondering if I just blew the last of my dope or if it will just slowly be absorbed. The area has a bit of a lump and hurts to touch but that could be from running such hot water over it. I'm reall kinda pissed because that was the last of it and I can't buy anymore for a while.

Any advice would be appreciated because clearly; I don't know shit.

If its a missed shot, and you believe that it was IM'd instead of IVd, running hottish water over it helps the area absorb the dope (I read that on here somewhere recently! Can someone back this up for me? Can't find a link :( )

One tip I learned from junkies I would use with: after you register and start to push the plunger, make it a habit to pull back and check if you're STILL in the vein after you've shot half of what's in the rig. This prevents a miss many, many times.

***** In my opinion, the golden rule ***** : IF IT HURTS, YOU'RE DOING SOMETHING WRONG!

There should be NO pain while pushing down the plunger on your rig, if you are attempting to IV.

There are a bunch of threads on here about missing shots of heroin, the search engine is your friend. That said, if you missed the shot, it isn' the end of the world, but there is always a chance that it can create an abscess. It will still absorb though, similar to shooting it IM or SC. It won't hit you immediately, but it should feel more like sniffing it once it gets absorbed and kicked in. There won't be a rush, but a more slow comeup and it'll last longer as well. Probably not as strong as IVing it, but certainly not a complete waste.

You should put some antibacterial ointment on the spot. Also, if you have a heating pad or some sort of hot compress (even soaking a cloth in hot water will work) I advise you put one on the lump, and also massage the spot to help it absorb faster.

Were you shooting tar or powder? If it was tar the chance of an abscess is much greater; if it was powder, you can still get one no doubt, but it is certainly safer than missing a shot of tar.

Use the search engine, and check out the Injection; IV Complications and Info MEGATHREAD and FAQ v.III which covers exactly that. IV complications and how to deal with them.

THat said, I have missed many many shots of dope/coke in my life, and thank god never developed an abscess. I just got lucky though, as it certainly is possible and can happen to anyone.

Yeah it's probably nothing to worry about, but if it starts to grow and hurt really badly that's a bad sign. Also, if you start to experience really bad fevers that's a sign of infection.

I used to think all this harm reduction stuff was kind of a joke, and never bothered investing on micron filters, and offten reused the same syringe multiple times, sometimes if i was desperate and too lazy to go out and buy a new syringe, I would even soak the tip of the plunger of an old syringe with olive oil to make it slide more easily up and down the barrel, fucking nasty shit. And then, Four months ago I shot some coke and didn't miss, and the next day spiked a crazy fever and suffered extreme pain going up from my shoulder to my kneck. It felt like someone was trying to rip my collar bone out with a crow bar. Turned out I had a staff infection, so make sure you use clean needles.

Honestly I'm the worst phlebotomist I've ever met so I've missed probably over 20 times in my life (i've only been at it for a year.) I've never had an abcess in my life it just hurts gets puffy then goes away.

i am a phlebotomist (certified) and i get paid to receive training to find veins. There's a million places one could shoot up. What can i say, the first thing they teach us is to assign a finger the "feeling finger". I have been able to shoot into veins i was never able to see in the first place. It's kind of cool really.

That is cool. I wish I had you around sometimes. I just recently got ready to do a shot and hit a vein i've never seen before and the blood rushed up the syringe but OF COURSE when I started pushing down it stung like hell and once the damn syringe is filled with red blood i can never hit a vein again so I just get frustrated and press in until I have a huge bump. Would anybody here consider missing "wasting" a shot entirely? as of now, I feel it a little bit.. but it's nothing like the rush of a hit shot.

Also beside sthe harmful infections and abcesses, does anybody see missing as having any benefits? Does it sometimes mean you're higher for a longer more extensive time??

That is not healthy^. There are no benefits to missing a shot of heroin or oxy or whatever, except perhaps a longer duratation, but the risk outweighs the benifits. Buy a bag of syringes, and practice injecting with sterile water. Heroin should not sting if you are in the vein. You are not wasting the shot as you'll still get high, but if you can't hit your veins you might as well sniff IMO, skin popping is gross. You got to learn to keep your hands real steady. I used t have problems like this too, and now I curse myself for all the great shots I missed when I still had my basilic vein up and running.

Ah I see. Is the basilic vein the one on the bend/fold of your arm? me and my girlfriend call this the "honey-hole" lol. and yes I miss all the time it isn't healthy.. I actually just missed 5 minutes ago. I only do about a bag a day and I look forward to it so much because I wake up feeling depressed/psychotic/headache and I see the damn blood and then i push in and miss.

It IS true that you still get high.. but nothing beats the rush. I could shoot just for the rush.. If I feel the rush come on and dont see puggy skin I'm so relieved. I guess the duration is longer but i hate it

Yeah it's probably nothing to worry about, but if it starts to grow and hurt really badly that's a bad sign. Also, if you start to experience really bad fevers that's a sign of infection.

I used to think all this harm reduction stuff was kind of a joke, and never bothered investing on micron filters, and offten reused the same syringe multiple times, sometimes if i was desperate and too lazy to go out and buy a new syringe, I would even soak the tip of the plunger of an old syringe with olive oil to make it slide more easily up and down the barrel, fucking nasty shit. And then, Four months ago I shot some coke and didn't miss, and the next day spiked a crazy fever and suffered extreme pain going up from my shoulder to my kneck. It felt like someone was trying to rip my collar bone out with a crow bar. Turned out I had a staff infection, so make sure you use clean needles.

Damn dude thats a crazy story that I think all IV'ers should read because it could so easily happen to you. Thanks for posting man...cause I would do the same thing sometimes..if I was too lazy to go to the pharmacy or exchange i'd reuse an old pin.

Yeah, that's why I shot dope even when I was on methadone. I wouldn't get high but the rush was just so incredible. Then I found IV coke.

When my basilic was working, what I did was hold my arm parallel to my body, and injected at a very shallow angle almost parallel to the vein. You have to kind of visualize what is going on under your skin. Also use the vacuum technique whe you pull back on the plunger before you hit the vein, then it creates a vacuum, so when you do hit the vein you don't have to pull back, just keep a steady hand and push down. I ought have posted that earlier, but it's a very usefull technique.

And take it from an experienced IVer.. new syringes make allllll the difference. Especially if you are a little fat like me and your veins 'roll.' Or you have simply run out of the simple injection sites and are using tougher ones to get to.

Having that sharp tip will make the difference from peircing the skin a SINGLE time and registering easy, or having to remove the needle and try again because the dull tip pushed the vein easide instead of piercing it, causing a HELL of a lot more damage to your veins nto to mention the scarring and trackmarks. If you looked at my arms youd barely know how many god damn bags of dope ive injected because of always using a sharp brand new pin that has never pierced the skin even once.

And yeah the vacuum technique is golden... all novice injectors should use it but remember all you need is a very small vacuum.. just 1 or 2 units, because a healthy vein will show a flash of blood even with no vacuum. Creating that small vacuum will ensure it

Yeah that's true, even without pulling back you will usually see a little bubble of blood shot up once you hit the vein. Problem I think most people who are new at this have is that they actually go through the vein. And yeah new tips always, I had to learn my lesson the hard way about that

That is cool. I wish I had you around sometimes. I just recently got ready to do a shot and hit a vein i've never seen before and the blood rushed up the syringe but OF COURSE when I started pushing down it stung like hell and once the damn syringe is filled with red blood i can never hit a vein again so I just get frustrated and press in until I have a huge bump. Would anybody here consider missing "wasting" a shot entirely? as of now, I feel it a little bit.. but it's nothing like the rush of a hit shot.

Also beside sthe harmful infections and abcesses, does anybody see missing as having any benefits? Does it sometimes mean you're higher for a longer more extensive time??

Sounds like you hit an artery...When this happens blood will shoot out a lot faster than normal and sting like fuck when injecting, also, the area will puff up and swell. You should apply pressure to affected area, and elevate place of injection above heart. Even if it's not bleeding much on the outside the swelling is due to internal bleeding (which from a little IV prick wont be substantial, but enough to cause some swelling).

Status
Not open for further replies.