• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Non addictive relaxants / anxiolytics / depressants that actually work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kallisti23

Bluelighter
About a month ago I weaned myself off benzodiazepines (pretty much, in the last couple of weeks I have used on a few occasions but only in low doses). I have been using codeine in relatively low doses as a way of dealing with anxiety and restlessness now that I am not taking benzos any more and have become mildly dependent. Silly I know, but I rationalised it as a lesser evil, although it can be very addictive I know from experience that it is much easier to kick than benzos. Ideally I'd like to not be physically dependent on anything, being addicted to anything is crap, but I don't think I'm the kind of person who could go through life straight-edge either. I've also gone back into education and although codeine doesn't effect my cognitive abilities nearly as much as benzodiazepines did it still does to an extent, and the period between doses can make me irritable restless and distracted.

Now to my question, which is twofold. Firstly, does anyone have any experience with any legal and preferably non-addictive substances such as nootropics that actually work as anxiolytics and relaxants? Secondly, the fact that substances such as phenibut and other similar nootropics act on the GABA receptor worries me because of my previous benzo dependence and I wouldn't like to stir up cravings and fall back down that hole, so does anyone have any experience with this particular conundrum? I should probably say that I've tried Kava Kava in case anyone suggests it, it was OK but I didn't like the effects very much. I found it to be like a poorer alcohol with more negative effects, underwhelming, and I just found myself reaching for booze and weed when I took it to make it more enjoyable.

Thanks!

Last edited:
This kind of drug recommendation thread is against the rules. Anything that relaxes you enough to ease your anxiety is very likely to be at least slightly addictive.

There is going to be PAWS from benzos which includes rebound anxiety. Unless you are having severe panic attacks or breaking down daily then you should try to find something to distract you other than substances.

If you don't want to let go of substances or just aren't ready to I completely understand, no judgment here. All I'm saying is that it sounds like you are looking for a replacement to benzos that has no repercussions and that just doesn't exist.

Your analysis is quite correct, I can’t really argue with it. I should find something other than substances but just don’t feel I’m quite there yet. Maybe I’m not 100 % on the forum guidelines, but I wasn’t looking for a recommendation as such, just looking for a discussion of legal or natural aids that people have found to help with anxiety or have calming effects as I’ve seen plenty of comparative drug discussions on here before. If this is against the rules any moderator is free to take it down.

I understand that everything has repurcussions but some certainly seem to have more or less than others.

Sorry Kallisti, but we are really dedicated to Harm Reduction material here in BDD and while I can see a potential argument for how a thread like this might mitigate harm, it really too broad, vague and open to subjective interpretation to make it of use to anyone. At the end of the day, only you can decide what exactly you will or will not enjoy and what will or will not be addictive and/or detrimental to your health.

Also, please familiarize yourself a little bit more with our forum guidelines and tools like the search engine. No harm done, but if you had searched this topic beforehand, you would most likely have come to the conclusion that we get a very similar thread to this one on a ~weekly basis and they all end the same way. It would save everybody, including yourself time and energy, but as I said, no harm done and you are not in trouble!

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.