• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Nicotine Gum Addiction

Asparagus_Prince

Bluelighter
About 6 months ago I decided to try nicotine gum to see if it would give me a pick-me-up. Well, 6 months later and I am chewing it daily.

I've always heard that nicotine itself is not really harmful. And that it's the chemicals, etc in cigarettes that make them harmful. Is this basically the case?

BTW I gave up cigarettes over 10 years ago. I haven't had a single puff since and I've never vaped. So I have a secondary question: Would you consider my nicotine gum use a relapse?

About 6 months ago I decided to try nicotine gum to see if it would give me a pick-me-up. Well, 6 months later and I am chewing it daily.

I've always heard that nicotine itself is not really harmful. And that it's the chemicals, etc in cigarettes that make them harmful. Is this basically the case?

BTW I gave up cigarettes over 10 years ago. I haven't had a single puff since and I've never vaped. So I have a secondary question: Would you consider my nicotine gum use a relapse?
I used gum once and that was after I started smoking again and used the gum for a few days then stopped them too after a week of starting Wellbutrin,<<<<< made it very easy to stop…

Nicotine's harm mostly comes from it's effect on blood pressure, vasoconstriction and thus potential heart issues. If vaping, it increases your BP for about 30 minutes then it normalizes. Gum lasts longer probably an hour or two.

Overall it's much healthier than using tobacco itself, but if you have blood pressure or heart issues it's probably not the best idea.

Would you consider my nicotine gum use a relapse?
arguable either way, but not really IMO

it can become addictive in itself, I remember a time when I was chewing like 20+ gums per day, in high doses it can get you buzzed for sure, but it still lacks the various other chemicals from tobacco which make the buzz more euphoric and addictive

nicotine is a great nootropic

You are dead on, nicotine is not really harmful it's more or less the other chemicals in the cigarettes. I see no problems with its use except its addictive properties. Would I consider this a relapse? Sort-of, as nicotine is the addictive chemical in tobacco. Don't be to hard on yourself though, nicotine alone is much safer and healthier than nicotine in cigarettes.

Best wishes