• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Nicotine: A relaxing stimulant?

dhcdavid

Ex-Bluelighter
(OD Mods: I hope this is the correct forum for my question. I toyed with the idea of posting it in Second Opinion but thought it belonged here seeing as it's all about a drug. Please move if you feel my question belongs elsewhere. Ta.)

So...

Was thinking about nicotine and cigarettes and finally got round to posting a question I've been curious about for years.

Why is it that I almost always feel more RELAXED after smoking a cigarette yet the drug in cigarettes - nicotine - is a stimulant.....?

I mean when I chew a bit of nicotine gum or put on a nicotine patch I feel stimulated but not relaxed.

So can anyone explain this to me? I know there are supposed to be a hundred (maybe more?) different carcinogens which are a absorbed by your body when you smoke so is there some other chemical in cigarettes besides nicotine which causes the relaxed feeling I mentioned I feel after I smoke a cigarette?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help out with this one.

Cant aid much, but i like the topic and want to support it.

For me, i feel the same, as do cigarettes calm me, but don't get why.

some people have stimulants calm them, like for me, dextro-methamphetamine calms me down, but nicotine is totally different in a sense since it induces CNS depressant activity as well.

I remember it once being explained to me that nicotine had biphasic effects. So quick puffs gives you a lower dose, giving you the stimulant effect. But slowly smoking and taking long drags gives a higher dose, which has a more anxiolytic effect.

So can anyone explain this to me? I know there are supposed to be a hundred (maybe more?) different carcinogens which are a absorbed by your body when you smoke so is there some other chemical in cigarettes besides nicotine which causes the relaxed feeling I mentioned I feel after I smoke a cigarette?
For this part of the question, yes. From what I've heard, there are a few other active components of tobacco besides nicotine, some of which might be MAOIs. (Also, I've heard that nicotine itself becomes much more addictive when taken in conjunction with MAOIs.)
That being said, I think the relaxation/stimulation may be more dependent upon *how* it's ingested; I do get more stimulant effects from nicotine gum, but more relaxing effects from a vape. Since both vapor and cigarette smoke are inhaled, I'd guess that maybe if the nicotine is delivered almost instantaneously, it gives more relaxation, but for more long-term doses (patch, gum), it's more of a stimulant.

Last edited:
I remember it once being explained to me that nicotine had biphasic effects. So quick puffs gives you a lower dose, giving you the stimulant effect. But slowly smoking and taking long drags gives a higher dose, which has a more anxiolytic effect.

this

Well, most people who use nicotine are addicted so of course it will calm them when they get their dose. I smoke cigarettes (like many of you) and it makes me feel better to just light up when I'm pissed off, lol.

Stimulants of all kinds don't make me hyper really, more introverted and calm usually.

Many thanks to everyone who posted.

More input is still welcome!

Well when I smoke I do feel relaxed but when that wears off I feel a little bit of anxiety. Like a mini-comedown lol. Granted I'm not a smoker.

I tried 2mg nicotine gums a few times simply to see what happens. I didn't feel anything. I thought maybe it has some antidepressant effect.

The onset of smoking is quicker than chewing the gum = bigger rush of chemichals which could be calming. Cigs give me anxiety