Mental Health NHS useless for mental health?

Markomarkh

Bluelighter
Hi all, I’ve had experience using mental health services on and off for over 20years now and I’ve had good experiences and bad, I’ve been requested for a mental health check recently through a letter and feel why BOTHER when I feel im going round in CIRCLES and I feel the NHS is a going to fail soon, too much waiting lists, 2 months to see my own doctor! Waiting times on the telephone to book, horrible stories in news! I can’t stand it any more! I goto Bupa for my dentist which Private dentist (as an nhs patent) and is 10x better than my previous NHS dentist! Should I go private for my mental health too and how much will it cost? Will it be any better? I heard the french health service is good too?

I’ve come to the conclusion your better off helping yourself, no else in mental health is going to fix your life or make you happy are they?

Yeh, I've stopped going to my joke of a GP cus all my appointments are pretty much just "still depressed? Yeh? Ok well I think venlafaxine would help you but I can't prescribe it to you without referring you to a psychiatrist which I'm not willing to do so have some mirtazapine"

And mirtazapine is only helpful if you wanna sleep 12 hours a day minimum

Just went n found a private therapist instead cus the NHS one was just over the phone cus in person there was a 12 month waiting list which probably would actually be 2 years.

I knew 3 people who commited suicide through november, December while on a waiting list for therapy and they make out like they've got this mental health thing down.

As pointed out by my sister, if you're a woman with kids they help you straight away in any way they can if your a bloke it's just "yeh, we'll get to you at some point"

It's very difficult to get talking therapies. You must be very direct and stubborn and keep asking until they refer you. It took me a long long time before I managed to get therapy, even then it was only 16 sessions and most people only get 8. Basically unless you tell them that you're having suicidal thoughts then you will be ignored.

I'm now having therapy privately, prices will depend on where you are but in london it's about £70-100 per hour session.

Yeh, I was suicidal when they put me on the neverending list for phone therapy.

Seems to me like they just don't give a fuck as long as it's not gonna come back on them for not helping, like they insist you go to appointments with the doctor who offers 0 help but it's impossible to get them to actually help.

You think that's hard you should try being a male and dealing with the police in a domestic violence dispute....

It's fuckin shit for mental health. Full stop. They have failed everyone I know who has issues. The so called professionals they employ are only capable of repeating themselves and making appointments. Round and round and round we go, never getting anywhere until serious shit happens then they say "we will learn from our mistakes". But do they? Do they fuck!!

The nhs has done good things for my parents with their ailments but not for me, they seem good for physical things but not very good for mental health. I find most medicine in nhs cheap and nasty and mostly dated…and made by the nazis, when they create a new breakthrough its got too much red tape to get to market! They say Nhs is free but we pay through taxes apart from those who are on benefits. I’d rather pay if I get a decent right treatment!