Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS - Sim cards a silent witness to methamphetamine laboratories

tranq

Bluelighter
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ine-laboratories/story-fnb64oi6-1226490689735

A SIM card is many things - data centre, address book, key to many a mobile phone and now the digital equivalent of the drug-sniffing police dog.

With a device inspired by the experiences of a software engineer from New Zealand, Vodafone is working with an Auckland-based company to help to tackle the country's growing methamphetamine problem.

Now the telecoms giant is exploring ways in which it could convert the technology for use elsewhere, including in Britain, where it could be retuned to detect a variety of illegal substances.

New Zealand and Australia have the highest rates of methamphetamine usage in the world. A little-known side-effect of the drug's popularity is the damage caused to properties where it is produced, because of the corrosive chemicals involved.

Tens of thousands of homes in New Zealand have been rendered uninhabitable, with landlords forced to pull down some of the worst affected. Even those properties that have been cleaned up lose about a third of their value, as it is illegal for a landlord not to warn potential buyers about the previous use of toxic chemicals on site.

RECOMMENDED COVERAGE

US student arrested over drug smuggling

MethMinder, a small local business, has developed a device that works like a smoke alarm to detect the chemicals used to make crystal meth. The tamper-proof box is installed on a wall of the property as a deterrent to potential meth "cooks" scouting for a new location. It is fitted with a Vodafone SIM card that sends out a warning to both the police and the landlord should it detect the constituents of methamphetamine in the air.

The invention was the brainchild of Ken Hetherington, a software engineer from Pakuranga, Auckland, who became aware of the problem when a friend was forced to spend $28,500 to repair a holiday home that had been converted into a lab. MethMinder and Vodafone started testing the boxes in 2008 and have since rolled them out to thousands of homes across New Zealand.

Usage of crystal meth, often a cheap substitute for cocaine, is not widespread in Britain. Estimated figures detailed in the Home Office's British Crime Survey shows that less than 400,000 people have tried the drug and only 34,000 have used it in the past year. Drugscope, the charity, said that it is not a common feature of the UK drug scene.

However, the MethMinder device potentially could be used to tackle other types of illegal drug use in the UK. Almost 300,000 people in Britain have used more readily available amphetamines such as speed, while 2.37 million have used cannabis.

Vodafone and MethMinder say that they are not out to catch the cooks themselves. "It is designed as a deterrent. We have had people try and remove the device, triggering tamper alarms. Landlords consider that to be a great success," a MethMinder spokesman said.

However, the technology has not been without some teething problems. Some alarms have been activated in apartment blocks that use outside air to cool buildings.

"From time to time, this results in an alarm in one of the flats being triggered as what is believed to be a mobile lab kicks into action," the MethMinder spokesman said.

Not a bad idea but vodafone's reception is so shithouse I don't think it would be able topick up the fumes unless it's directly next to the source. Even then it might still drop out.

Not a bad idea but vodafone's reception is so shithouse I don't think it would be able topick up the fumes unless it's directly next to the source. Even then it might still drop out.

lol very true!

Drug cooks are a resourceful bunch through necessity and greed, so I can imagine, just like hackers, cooks we find away to circumvent the "methminder" within a short time and it will be business as usual.

lol very true!

Drug cooks are a resourceful bunch through necessity and greed, so I can imagine, just like hackers, cooks we find away to circumvent the "methminder" within a short time and it will be business as usual.

Like duct taping the smoke alarms :p

It's a good idea and will hopefully help save innocent people from having to fork out more money because of the 'war on drugs'.

If it's illegal, people will strive to posses it.

For fuck sake, doesn't anybody else consider this yet another invasion of privacy? Yet another measure to keep us in this prison of no walls? Enough monitoring, enough surveillance, i've had enough! It saddens me to think of the rate in which these measures are coming into place but possibly not as much as how we just roll over and accept... I thought we were founded on convicts who didn't align with the man? 'Spose it shows the convicts they sent really did get locked up for the pettiest reasons, backbone doesn't seem to be something that's been passed down.

^ privacy isn't really realistic. if you are renting a home, you don't have privacy - you have rent inspections.
the only "privacy" exists where there is wealth and power. the "privacy" of classified military and government information is protected by some pretty brutal law.
but the privacy of the individual? think about what happens if you are are put into police custody; even before being convicted of a crime. you lose any right to physical privacy. your personal possessions, your clothes, your sexual organs and bodily orifices are subject to search. in other circumstances, this goes for your urine, your blood, your hair.

police have the right to search your person in a huge array of circumstances, at their discretion in most cases - in this country at least. your house, your car, your computer, your bag, your phone.
civil privacy is a misconception that is worth dispelling IMO.

we don't have privacy. whether we accept it or not. as for backbone...if you've ever tried to stand up to "the man" even at a political demonstration or a street scuffle or whatever - you're going to get fucked up. bloodied, bruised, broken bones - that's if they don't kill you.
these are the people that enforce the will of the state upon the people.

the stronger ones (in my opinion) look past the spin, the bullshit and propaganda that the media, the authorities and the politicians feed us, and see things for how they are.
i'm not in favour of these covert and suspicious ways of finding out if people are up to no good - but meth labs are not like hydro pot grow-ops. they're massive health, environmental safety risks to the people that live close by, that live upstairs, next door - or live in the house after the previous meth cook tenants move out.
so...while i hear what you're saying - it's not like they're planting technology in people's mobile phones that detect metabolites of drug use in the phone users's perspiration, alerting the authorities that joe bloggs is on the reefer, or whatever. not yet, anyway.
when that does happen, i'll be with you on the streets facing off with the riot cops and mounted police.

Last edited:
Excellent idea, but Vodaphone.......really? I suppose they need to make up for all those lost customers.

2a932o5.jpg

A sledgehammer would defeat it's methamphetamine sniffing capabilities.

Like duct taping the smoke alarms :p

It's a good idea and will hopefully help save innocent people from having to fork out more money because of the 'war on drugs'.

If it's illegal, people will strive to posses it.

Hahaha a must do for smoking up in Hotels!!

For fuck sake, doesn't anybody else consider this yet another invasion of privacy? Yet another measure to keep us in this prison of no walls? Enough monitoring, enough surveillance, i've had enough! It saddens me to think of the rate in which these measures are coming into place but possibly not as much as how we just roll over and accept... I thought we were founded on convicts who didn't align with the man? 'Spose it shows the convicts they sent really did get locked up for the pettiest reasons, backbone doesn't seem to be something that's been passed down.

You seem to feel strongly about this old mate, spend a long day down at crystal lake with the shadow people, enjoying a glass bqq, did we?