Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: New guidelines could define one in 10 as having an alcohol disorder

Mr Blonde

Bluelighter
"I'LL JUST have one after work." Those words, often a prelude to drinking more than intended, could contribute to nearly one in 10 people being diagnosed with alcohol use disorder under proposed changes to the condition.
Australian drug researchers believe the number of people in the country who will fit the criteria for problematic alcohol use will rise by about 60 per cent - or half a million people - under new criteria in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.
The manual is being updated this year in an attempt to create more accurate psychiatric diagnoses. But critics have charged it will expand the criteria for many disorders, leading to more people being diagnosed.

A postdoctoral fellow at the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre at the University of NSW, Louise Mewton, said alcohol use disorder could be diagnosed using two symptoms that were very common.
The first, tolerance, was meant to capture long-term drinkers who could consume a lot without showing effects, but this occurred naturally in younger people as their brains developed.
"Often tolerance can be reported when it's really a normal developmental process," Ms Mewton said.
The second, drinking more or for longer than intended, was meant to capture people who drank compulsively, but cast too wide a net, she said.
She said a recent study of Australians aged between 18 and 24 had found about 94 per cent reported drinking larger amounts or for longer than they intended. "A lot of people report that … but the reason they were doing it was because they were having fun," she said.
A research article she wrote, published in the journal Addiction, used data from nearly 8000 drinkers aged over 18, applying the new criteria to the answers they had given when the survey was conducted.
Under the current DSM-IV, about 2 per cent met the criteria for alcohol abuse and 4 per cent for dependence, however under the DSM-5 proposed single alcohol use disorder, nearly 10 per cent were affected.
Dr Mewton said under DSM-5 only two symptoms were needed to diagnose the disorder, creating the increase.
"They have a strong rationale for all their other changes but they haven't provided any basis for proposing the two-symptom threshold," she said.
She was worried the changes would erode the public's faith in recommendations around alcohol intake and disorders, and decrease already low levels of people seeking help.

Link.

What does everyone think of this? I think there is a public perception that you are either a hardcore alcoholic or you aren't, that there is no in between on the spectrum of alcohol problems. I'd see this as obviously not true, and that these new guidelines will potentially diagnose people with low level alcohol problems who perhaps would have gone unnoticed prior. Substance abuse can come in many varieties and levels of seriousness; I think that while people will think this might be strange, I don't see that they are proposing low level problem drinkers be treated the same as heavy duty alcoholics. People love to drink but are loathe to admit they can't control themselves, and the reaction to the article is an example of that kind of stigma. Sure some people may technically fit the diagnostic criteria who aren't problem drinkers, but a doctor and/or person with common sense should be able to realize whether or not they actually do have an issue.

The DSM would be such a headfuck to write. Almost all psychiatrists understand well that people don't fit into neat classifications, but they're needed to facilitate treatment. If you use a completely dimensional/spectrum approach, then there would be thousands of possible combinations and it would be impossible to properly study them or know which treatments might help which people. I think substance disorders should really be evaluated on a case-by-case basis by an expert.. but given mental health is getting cuts to its already laughably inadequate resources there's no hope of that in the near future for most people :\

i often get the sense that to most australians, these sorts of classifications are little more than a joke.
people tend to snigger at the levels of alcohol consumption needed to classify as having a problem with alcohol. i think this is because there is such a social acceptance of alcohol (and alcoholism) that people think it is normal.
and because it is normal, it's ok to use a lot.
those crazy scientists in their ivory tours and microscopes don't know shit. we're alright, aren't we boys?

people often compare their drinking habits, and it is a matter of pride for a lot of men (dicksizing) and increasingly for women as well. for a lot of people in this country, it is part of our culture. i hear people remark that if you're not drinking, you're somehow less australian, less of a man, or not up to their standards.

what i find interesting about all of this (especially as a committed non-drinker!) is that people tend to assume that because drinking to excess is seen as normal, any guidelines as to what is considered unhealthy drinking habits is laughed at - as though it is a ludicrous distinction to make. just because you and everyone you know drinks unhealthy amounts, doesn't make it any safer. all it means is that you all drink a lot.
rather than realising that yes, drinking too much can be hazardous to your health - but it is very common and even normal - people just tend to disregard the idea completely. at least, this is the impression that i get, even in the way it is reported in the media.

i don't know how i would class unhealthy, excessive drinking - i'm certainly not qualified to do so, but i'm quite sure that it is very common in australia - even expected of you, in many social circles.
i guess i just think it is time people realised that drug use and abuse are a normal part of life.
alcohol is a drug like any other - though strength and weakness seem to be judged by a lot of aussies in terms of how much you can 'put away'. excess = strength, manliness.
drugs, on the other hand, are often equated with weakness - like if you're not strong enough to resist them, you're a weak person.
i find these distinctions really annoying - your life doesn't need to be falling apart (ie fitting the stereotype) to be a problem drinker, and the same goes for illegal drugs too. i just think we all need to have a more realistic understanding of alcohol, and if these kinds of classifications can help that, then great - but all too often i think people just disregard them.
we're all sick of being lied to about drugs, even if most drinkers don't consider booze to be a drug.

"I'LL JUST have one after work." Those words, often a prelude to drinking more than intended, could contribute to nearly one in 10 people being diagnosed with alcohol use disorder under proposed changes to the condition.
Australian drug researchers believe the number of people in the country who will fit the criteria for problematic alcohol use will rise by about 60 per cent - or half a million people - under new criteria in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.
The manual is being updated this year in an attempt to create more accurate psychiatric diagnoses. But critics have charged it will expand the criteria for many disorders, leading to more people being diagnosed.

A postdoctoral fellow at the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre at the University of NSW, Louise Mewton, said alcohol use disorder could be diagnosed using two symptoms that were very common.
The first, tolerance, was meant to capture long-term drinkers who could consume a lot without showing effects, but this occurred naturally in younger people as their brains developed.
"Often tolerance can be reported when it's really a normal developmental process," Ms Mewton said.
The second, drinking more or for longer than intended, was meant to capture people who drank compulsively, but cast too wide a net, she said.
She said a recent study of Australians aged between 18 and 24 had found about 94 per cent reported drinking larger amounts or for longer than they intended. "A lot of people report that … but the reason they were doing it was because they were having fun," she said.
A research article she wrote, published in the journal Addiction, used data from nearly 8000 drinkers aged over 18, applying the new criteria to the answers they had given when the survey was conducted.
Under the current DSM-IV, about 2 per cent met the criteria for alcohol abuse and 4 per cent for dependence, however under the DSM-5 proposed single alcohol use disorder, nearly 10 per cent were affected.
Dr Mewton said under DSM-5 only two symptoms were needed to diagnose the disorder, creating the increase.
"They have a strong rationale for all their other changes but they haven't provided any basis for proposing the two-symptom threshold," she said.
She was worried the changes would erode the public's faith in recommendations around alcohol intake and disorders, and decrease already low levels of people seeking help.

Link.

What does everyone think of this? I think there is a public perception that you are either a hardcore alcoholic or you aren't, that there is no in between on the spectrum of alcohol problems. I'd see this as obviously not true, and that these new guidelines will potentially diagnose people with low level alcohol problems who perhaps would have gone unnoticed prior. Substance abuse can come in many varieties and levels of seriousness; I think that while people will think this might be strange, I don't see that they are proposing low level problem drinkers be treated the same as heavy duty alcoholics. People love to drink but are loathe to admit they can't control themselves, and the reaction to the article is an example of that kind of stigma. Sure some people may technically fit the diagnostic criteria who aren't problem drinkers, but a doctor and/or person with common sense should be able to realize whether or not they actually do have an issue.

The DSM-5 is basically an extension of the DSM-4-TR to the dude who temporarily banned me, so yeah, I give major props to the dude who wrote the DSM-1st Edition back in the 80's, but the rest of them are basically slackers who continue the use of the same old psychiatric conditions. Have you guys ever read a DSM? They're a major mind-fuck, with all their diagnostic criteria.

To me, personally, I think that 'alcoholic' is used to often. Alcohol dependence is like Nicolas Cage's character in Leaving Las Vegas, where he wakes up and gets sudden heavy withdrawal symptoms, and can barely make it to the fridge to pour himself a vodka and OJ drink. Alcohol addiction, IMO, is the psychological syndrome affected with a lot of binge drinkers, who on days like today (Saturday, but Thursday through to Sunday nights), can't enjoy themselves without getting smashed, smashing cunts and going home in a police paddy-wagon.

So, on the one side of things, you get alcoholics who can't function without a drink/ethanol blood level of at least 0.1, then you have binge drinkers, who can't have fun/social anxiety ensues whenever they go out on weekends and binge drink themselves to hospital or police stations.

Alcoholics

The DSM-5 is basically an extension of the DSM-4-TR to the dude who temporarily banned me, so yeah, I give major props to the dude who wrote the DSM-1st Edition back in the 80's, but the rest of them are basically slackers who continue the use of the same old psychiatric conditions.

I disagree - check out this diagram for an overview of just how much the DSM has changed since its first edition back in the 50s. Virtually none of the original conditions remain.

True that, DM. True that, I stand corrected.

Sorry about my homophobic slurs bro, it's just that I use 'fag' as a word in the most non-homophobic undertones ever. I call my dad, mum and brother 'fag's as well as my best mates. So, I will continue not to use fag on this forum, as many, not all though, of us BL'ers are homosexuals.

To me, personally, I think that 'alcoholic' is used to often. Alcohol dependence is like Nicolas Cage's character in Leaving Las Vegas, where he wakes up and gets sudden heavy withdrawal symptoms, and can barely make it to the fridge to pour himself a vodka and OJ drink. Alcohol addiction, IMO, is the psychological syndrome affected with a lot of binge drinkers, who on days like today (Saturday, but Thursday through to Sunday nights), can't enjoy themselves without getting smashed, smashing cunts and going home in a police paddy-wagon.

What about people who come home and "have to have" two glasses of wine to unwind at the end of the day? Don't underestimate their dependence on alcohol. The number of drink drivers caught every day must surely indicate many people can't live their life without a drink. I agree that binge drinking is the biggest problem, but more because people act like idiots when drunk. Plenty of Italians and French drink large amounts of alcohol, particularly wine, but the social implications don't exist like here in Australia.

Yeah, you're right. People who come home from work, pour emselves a scotch whiskey or two, to unwind in the legal way, is alcohol addiction, which is psychological addiction, not yet physical dependency on alcohol.

Alcoholism ain't a disease. Cancer is a disease. People lack disciprine, when it comes to drinking.

And with that said, Im planning on buying:
Finlandia Mango Vodka 700mL for tonight. The irony, the pain of it all.

I've studied psychology for six years at university and in this time you get yourself well acquainted with the DSM. There are some important criteria for every mental illness that is often missed by people. And one of these is that 1) a behaviour or syndrome can only be classed as a mental illness if it causes significant distress and/or disruption to functioning for an individual.

In the case of alcohol abuse. for most people going out and drinking more than they intended causes no more harm than spending more money than intended for the weekend or waking up with a hangover. these people would not be classed as having an alcohol disorder, as they can lead a perfectly functional and happy life despite overdoing it a little when they drink. Now lets look at a person who consistently drinks more than they intend, to the point they have no money for food and rent, and are unable to hold down a job because of their drinking, and the fact that they see their drinking as out of control causes them alot of anxiety. This person (along with some other symptoms like tolerance or being violent when drunk) may very well have an alcohol disorder.

this is the crux of diagnosis of mental illness. If someone isn't bothered by the symptoms and they can lead a normal life despite having these symptoms, then they are not deemed to have a mental illness.

^ Good point, usually something like "The symptoms cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning."

Just for people's interest, here is a list of the alcohol-related disorders in the dsm-iv:

Alcohol Use Disorders
303.90 Alcohol Dependence
305.00 Alcohol Abuse
Alcohol-Induced Disorders
303.00 Alcohol Intoxication
291.81 Alcohol Withdrawal
291.0 Alcohol Intoxication Delirium
291.0 Alcohol Withdrawal Delirium
291.2 Alcohol-Induced Persisting Dementia
291.1 Alcohol-Induced Persisting Amnestic Disorder
291.x Alcohol-Induced Psychotic Disorder
.5 With Delusions
.3 With Hallucinations
291.89 Alcohol-Induced Mood Disorder
291.89 Alcohol-Induced Anxiety Disorder
291.89 Alcohol-Induced Sexual Dysfunction
291.82 Alcohol-Induced Sleep Disorder
291.9 Alcohol-Related Disorder NOS

Plenty of Italians and French drink large amounts of alcohol, particularly wine, but the social implications don't exist like here in Australia.

i don't know. The French are pretty shit at the best of times, get them drunk and they can be real bastards that will berate you for speaking English instead of French. One tried to sodomise me with a bread stick once after too many glasses of Cognac.

Berating is different than the racist alcohol fuel nationalism you see every australia or anzac day. French women can hold their alcohol. You'd never see one taking a squat in a gutter out the front of a club. Ever.

I used to drink Alcohol.
Starting as teenager. Around age 30 a relationship break-up and imminent fatherhood made me realise I wanted to stop drinking, only I didn't / couldn't...whatever...after much struggle I did stop. To this day. It's no problem at all now. After 6 months, I never thought about it any more. I never have urge or desire to drink. Three friends, who have been close friends since early twenties still drink. Probably all of them are very much alcoholics or whatever...in any case, they drink virtually every day, much like I used to. They don't think of themselves as alcoholics, but if the supply of alcohol were to be cut off, I'm sure this would become a serious problem for them.

We all used to drink-drive often. In fact I used to love drink-driving...not driving drunk, but driving and drinking cold beer. Especially after work, it was unthinkable to drive without coldies...or long drives down the coast, without beer would probable have meant not driving at all...if that makes any sense. It did for me back then.

When I couldn't / wouldn't stop drinking, even though I wanted to, I booked myself into some re-hab joint. It was supposed to be a nine week course or some such thing. After 2 weeks I booked out. I had seen enough. There were all kinds of people there. Almost all of them not by choice, but as a parole condition, or part of a suspended sentence, or an ultimatum from wives who have had enough. To be honest, I was the only one there voluntarily, according to the Councillor with whom I spent time every two days. Many of the people there were really messed up. I think alcohol really is more destructive than we realise. Than I realise in any case. Even today. I never see what damage it does. It's hidden from sight. It takes 20-30 years before a person finds out alcohol has dug it's claws in deep. And does it what!!
I doubt most of those people in rehab will overcome their alcohol addiction. Many had been in and out several times. It becomes part of their cycle...
Anyhow, all the best to everyone, and take it easy.