• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

New2U

Madeira

Greenlighter
Hey everybody. I've been on Fentynal 75 and 15 mg oxy for 10 years due to a shattered foot that I walked on for two weeks before finally undergoing my first surgery for 6 hours. Also have old knee injury, arthritis in both knees and bad back due to old injury. How hard would it be to wean down to nothing? I've weaned down too fast once and was miserable and my foot pain was so bad I could barely walk but I'm curious how hard it would be to get off of pain meds

Hi Madeira,

Welcome to the site !!

I am off pain meds now. I would suggest a slow taper since you've been on them this long. I'll go ahead and move your post to another section. If a moderator feels it might be more supportive in a recovery section (as members are tapering there also), he/she can move it.

NMI ---- > Other Drugs.

Smoky :)

There's really no number or measurement we can use to quantify how difficult it will be.

It will not be easy, physical dependence and the subsequent wds they'll procure aside, taking opioids for that long, 'causes your brain to reduce the production of natural opiates, thus making dealing with pain that much more difficult.

I think that depends on how messed up your foot is. I have no physical injuries so if i stopped i might get withdrawls but if your foot isnt recovered that would make it a million times harder imo.

I would go to a physical therapist first make sure you have full function of your foot then go off

Seems like this one would be a good one to discuss with your doctor. Why are you wanting to quit? Do you have other means of managing your pain? I also have severe chronic foot pain both feet and it's no joke. Without pain meds or something to control the pain I find myself at rest more than anything.

Another thing is that during the first few weeks of being off opioids your regular pain is magnified. I was 3 weeks clean and had awful pain when sitting from an old snowboarding tailbone fracture. That hadn't hurt in years. It hurt while sitting from the time I was about 3 weeks clean til about 5-6 weeks clean. Painful where I wanted pain pills for pain not fun. But I didn't take any and after that few weeks I was fine

Just confirming what someone was saying about your normal production of endorphins /natural pain relief being screwed up at first. You really can't judge correctly how much pain you may have by those first few weeks. Those might be awful but if you get through then you may be much better