• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

New York's top court to decide who can tap Starbucks' tip jars

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
Baristas, managers and Starbucks itself put in their two cents Tuesday before New York's highest court in a tip-jar dispute that could have broad consequences for the state's hospitality workers and, ultimately, employees at the coffee chain's thousands of U.S. retail stores.

The arguments pitted low-level workers against assistant managers and the company over who is entitled to the cash tips coffee customers leave when picking up their daily pick-me-up.

A federal appeals court has asked the state Court of Appeals to interpret New York labor law and its definition of an employer's "agent," who is prohibited from tip sharing, in connection with two lawsuits against Starbucks, which allows baristas and shift supervisors — but not assistant managers — to dip into the tip jar.

The federal court is seeking answers on two specific questions: What factors determine whether an employee is an agent of the company? Does state law permit an employer to exclude an otherwise eligible tip-earning employee from sharing in such a tip pool?

On one side are hourly-wage baristas who serve customers and share tips weekly based on hours worked. On the other side are salaried assistant managers who want a share of the gratuities. In between are shift supervisors with limited management responsibilities who mainly serve customers, get paid hourly and also share tips.

Hospitality industry groups say the state court decision will be felt far beyond Starbucks, immediately affecting 42,000 New York businesses statewide and a quarter-million hospitality industry workers in New York City alone.

Attorney Shannon Liss-Riordan, representing the baristas, said the shift supervisors should also be excluded from the tip jar since they make work assignments and have authority over baristas and therefore qualify as company agents. The supervisors also coordinate breaks and receive higher wages, she said.

Attorney Adam Klein, representing the assistant managers, said they spend most of their time serving customers and deserve tips. They lack the authority to hire and fire staff and therefore should not be considered company agents under the law, he said.

Company attorney Rex Heinke defended the existing tip-sharing policy, saying baristas and shift supervisors divide up the cash jar weekly because they essentially provide the same customer service while assistant store managers are excluded because they have a different role and "real power" over the others, including scheduling and recommending hiring and firing.

The employer's responsibility is to come up with "a reasonable, fair system" for sharing pooled tips, and the company does have authority to exclude employees deemed eligible under state law, he said.

"Why, if they're eligible, do you have the authority to say they can't get it?" Chief Judge Jonathan Lippman asked. "You can't take that tip money. You're kind of the trustee of that tip money. Why should you have that authority?"

cont at
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/2...o-can-tap-starbucks-tip-jars/?intcmp=trending

If they do the hours serving customers, I see no reason they shouldn't have a part of the tips.
If I'm tipped while assisting customers to or from rooms/garage, it gets shared with the restaurant staff at the end of the year, if I keep it I get fired for stealing money from the company. If I'm tipped while working on the bar, it gets shared with the restaurant staff at the end of the year, if I keep it I get fired for stealing money from the company. If the restaurant staff get tipped while serving customers the drinks I poured, they keep it there and then.

Damn that sucks. How does that get enforced - like how do the servers get away with it but you can't?

By that logic, any news that pertains to supermarkets, gas stations, or restaurants could be posted in this forum.

How so?

This is centered around the employees who are constantly dolling out caffeinated beverages to people (not a plethora of other things as well as caffeinated beverages), and they are getting their tips because people are happy to get their buzz on in an efficient and quick manner.

I think this article belongs in DitM.

baristas? shift supervisors? assistant managers? :?

I have no clue about the job-title lingo, but the tips should go to the person working the register and/or filling up the coffee.

By that logic, any news that pertains to supermarkets, gas stations, or restaurants could be posted in this forum.

That is a bit of a stretch, dontchya think?
As the good Capt'n said, this is about a company that serves drugs. That is what they do.
If the article were about a coffee shop in Amsterdam, or cocaine bar in Peru, you wouldn't object, right?

Supermarkets and restaurants primarily sell food.
Gas stations primarily serve gas.
However, your point (or what I think your point is) - that drugs are everywhere, and that drawing the line between food and drugs is extremely difficult - is a good one.

Simple solution. Stores place two tip jars side by side, one for service and one for management, let the customers decide who gets what.

Caffeine is a moderately addictive (psychological and physical) drug. Some people can become addicted to it, believe it or not.

Oh yeah, it's the next best thing to pseudoephedrine, cocaine, and amphetamines. It's easy to get hooked on if you have a night job with free unlimited coffee, trust me.

As the good Capt'n said, this is about a company that serves drugs. That is what they do.
If the article were about a coffee shop in Amsterdam, or cocaine bar in Peru, you wouldn't object, right?

However, your point (or what I think your point is) - that drugs are everywhere, and that drawing the line between food and drugs is extremely difficult - is a good one.

Don't forget about hotels 8)

Starbucks is just a bar that serves caffeine vs alcohol really.

the tips should go to the person working the register and/or filling up the coffee.

No tip for working the register! No tip!

(I hope; otherwise I've been doing it wrong for many years)

No person on salarie should be getting the tips that servers are earning. In every different customer service jobs that Iv had the managers do not share in the tips ever. Managers are already making alot more then the rest of the servers, that is just greedy on their part. I wouldnt want to work for an fuck face boss that would even think that they are entiteled to tips

Wait... WAIT! There are cocaine bars in Peru?

Are they IV friendly? And do they like these cheeseburgers, mayn?