• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Diet New Study on the Negative Effects of Artificial Sweeteners

arrall

Administrator
Staff member
Artificial/low-cal sweeteners have been show to disrupt the gut microbiome and elevate glycemic response in humans in a new study from John Hopkins University that was published in Cell.

• Randomized-controlled trial on the effects of non-nutritive sweeteners in humans
  • Sucralose and saccharin supplementation impairs glycemic response in healthy adults
  • Personalized effects of non-nutritive sweeteners on microbiome and metabolome
  • Impacts on the microbiome are causally linked to elevated glycemic response

This is confirming what many have long suspected; That it is far superior both psychologically and physiologically to simply reduce your caloric intake and consumption of carbohydrates by eating natural foods and less food overall when trying to lose weight, rather than replacing sugar with artificial sweeteners (Which generally doesn’t have any effect on weight loss and may even cause weight gain.)

I was just talking about this with my wife last night, we were listening to an amazing expert in the field of human micro biome. While sugars are bad, artificial sweeteners are like 10x so. They completely wipe out certain bacteria and create major imbalances.

Gosh this info was so exciting I’m tempted to replicate portions here. It definitely pertains to drug users as we can’t replenish certain neurotransmitters without everything working in harmony with the gut biome. For instance one can consume tryptophan but inflammation present will effect whether it’s metabolized to serotonin/melatonin or quinolones (neurotoxic). By simply reducing inflammation you can increase your happy neurotransmitters.

-GC