• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

New Marijuana User. Fatigued. Sleep Apnea?

merseyside8

Bluelighter
Hi yall,

I was aware of this community about 5 years ago that helped me through a dark episode and just wanted to see if i can seek some help here again.

This marijuana question has to do with my sleep. My sleep was beyond terrible and dont know why i took it for granted. I would average about 5 hours of sleep a night, wake up about 2-3 times during that time and even tho i was anxiety driven, depressed, i would still wake up with energy enough to go for a run, play sports, enough energy to go about my day. Ever since i started smoking marijuana it has become quite the game changer for me. I sleep about 6 hours straight every day, anxiety has ASTRONOMICALLY fell and the feeling i have had has been amazing. Beyond amazing. Hardly drink or eat any bad food anymore. I cant put words together on how well ive done with myself and didnt know this feeling existed. The ONLY downfall out of all of this is that my energy has been so bad i cant seem to get enough just to get out of my bed. I am clumsy in everything i do and idk if i can continue like this. I just smoke at night everyday and i use the pen. Im wondering if marijuana can make you so tired like this. It all started while around the same time i picked up smoking but i think its probably just a bad coincidence? My doctor as scheduled me to get a device and try to see if my sleep is whats causing the issue. (Sleep Apnea) Has anyone had this issue when they picked up smoking? Ive smoked before just not constantly like this. Reason i picked up smoking was cause my sleep was getting worse and effecting my work. Thanks for all who help. I just feel that if i can beat this my life would be on top of the world. So desperate to fix this.

Ricardo

I'm gonna shoot this over to our Cannabis discussion sub forum where our resident tokers can give you some good advice.

if you are only smoking it in the evenings/night , yet experiencing clumsiness and tiredness the next day that lasts all day that is not a normal reaction to cannabis. I think you need to see if there is something physically wrong with you by speaking to a doctor
I dont sleep much myself with or without weed 5 -6 hours a night tops i constantly wake up also , as for sleep apnea i suggest trying to lie on your side, raised head make sure your mouth / throat is hydrated before sleep sips of water not gulps or you will pee all night

Some people get that. I don't notice such intense fatigue symptoms myself, but i've had people tell me i'm different chronically when i'm smoking. I'm also just an evening smoker, 99% of days. When i quit, i usually notice that i become more alert after just two or three days. Makes sense to me, that the mental fog is more noticeable when it goes away. If you notice it as it hits you, that could mean you're more sensitive to it.

I think it's a common drawback of the weed. It truly is awesome in many ways but it also truly saps some energy. I also think many weed smokers prefer to be in denial about this. Of course, there are also some who genuinely can handle it without issue. Anecdotally, my friends who are currently studying at uni have opted to quit smoking during the study periods and only smoke in the post-exam weekends and such.

Personally i don't believe weed helps sleep in the end. It is a phenomenal aid in sleep induction, but it diminishes sleep quality significantly in my experience. I wouldn't use weed for sleep, although i too have insomnia and appreciate the sleep induction phase as part of the recreational appeal. YMMV, but be aware that the apparent positive effect on sleep may be just a subjective temporary relief from your insomnia rather than an actual improvement of total rest.

As a sidenote, i suspect that maybe the medical qualities of weed are a bit overhyped while the extremely awesome potential of the sheer psychoactivity is bizarrely maybe somewhat overlooked... Anyone wager to agree, ever so slightly? Well it's just a thought anyway. For me, weed is a very special drug among many many interesting ones. I think it's best appreciated as just the fucking Rolls Royce of drugs :D ...It does so much without even a Nitrogen atom, and has just the right lipophilicity to gel and groove with mammal bodies... Yet so dark, so mysterious, so other...

One more love letter :$

Anyway, if you feel awesome all day and can't bother to get out of bed, it sort of sounds like you're stoned all the time doesn't it? I mean, of course being stoned and awesome helps against anxiety. Does it help you live your life though? That requires getting out of bed and having enough power to do some shit, i suppose. No hate or judgement whatsoever, just trying to be frank. So one advice could be: You might be enamored with the drug effect. It might not be a sustainable way to improve mental health and it might not help you sleep better. Probably you have some life stuff that should be in order and if it is, you can go ahead and indulge in this awesome drug, but most likely it will not help solve the life stuff.

Last edited:
I wanted to add that the body seems to get very used to things quickly, Routines Rituals etc. Something i have found useful to help me to sleep is just doing different things, for example one day i will focus heavily on exercise so ill walk many miles with weights and drain myself physically then another night ill vape for hours and relax that way, where as if i just solely rely on weed every single night to sleep it wont work alone.

Burn out is a real side effect but it is very occasionally something else entirely (especially for new users). If you are paying close attention to your body (as most new users do) you might be more sensitive to physical issues manifesting in your body. This is simply achieved by listening to your body's needs and recovery desires, which THC is capable of doing to some degree.

It's possible that you have a poor diet that you were not aware of until the weed made you look at your life and judge it either directly or indirectly (this thread for example). You can try eating better food, getting better exercise and/or drinking less alcohol, for example.

For long term medicinal users, this tends to be the exact opposite: weed is used to prevent pain and the drawn out weed-over the next day is a real issue. For these users, they must determine whether or not continued use is a worthwhile venture.

You're probably in the burn out category as most of us experience at some point, but don't forget to listen to your own body. You are your own best doctor.

Thank you all for your help. I decided that i will not be smoking for about 2-3 weeks to see if i see some sort of reaction from my body. Im starting to think the it might be the quantity i smoke at night. I use the pen for about couple hours every night before bed. I didnt have the worst diet but it was bad at times. Im starting to weigh some of these options if there is something i can do a bit different. Its just i dont know or have heard anyone who has had similar issues so it being the weed is messing with me cause i love my sleep at the moment and dont wanna mess it up but i dont think i have a choice.

I just dont know how with the terrible sleep i had so much energy to go do all these things before and now with the great nights sleep i dont have an ounce it seems at times. but thanks you all again!

Personally i don't believe weed helps sleep in the end. It is a phenomenal aid in sleep induction, but it diminishes sleep quality significantly in my experience. I wouldn't use weed for sleep, although i too have insomnia and appreciate the sleep induction phase as part of the recreational appeal. YMMV, but be aware that the apparent positive effect on sleep may be just a subjective temporary relief from your insomnia rather than an actual improvement of total rest.
i thought this was my case but this has been going on for a lot longer for this to be true. Temporarily up to a month feeling like this ok fine but its been 2 months already and hasnt really changed. If anything its gotten worst.

Don't wanna be tired stick with sativa many people ignore strain dna including those vending cannot wait for dispensaries here shortly I find the makeshift unregulated ones right now convenient but leave me getting indica dominant strains without intending to I guess I should lookup the next strain I get before handing over the cash

I mean people do burnout on cannabis some change their lifestyle to fit being high even it does sap your overall energy unless you use herb in a manner I do not haha