• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

New Johnson & Johnson anti-depressant related to 'Special K' party drug

Wait why are they administering it intranasally? I would really love to be prescribed drugs that I am TOLD to snort, but is that just the reporter being a dumbass or do they seriously think thats the best way to treat people with K? I mean sure it works.. but it seems kind of weird that theyd make a patient cut up a line when they could just swallow a pill. can you imagine being like in the office at work... sorry mate just takin my anti-Ds *sssnhhhhhhnnffffffff* ahhhh

Last edited:
Wait why are they administering it intranasally? I would really love to be prescribed drugs that I am TOLD to snort, but is that just the reporter being a dumbass or do they seriously think thats the best way to treat people with K? I mean sure it works.. but it seems kind of weird that theyd make a patient cut up a line when they could just swallow a pill. can you imagine being like in the office at work... sorry mate just takin my anti-Ds *sssnhhhhhhnnffffffff* ahhhh

K doesn't work particularly well when taken orally, I'd imagine it would be dissolved into some kind of inhaler spray though, instead of snorted as a powder.

Wow, that is good news for ppl who have run out of anti depressants or just want to get off of their current regimine. Ive always been a big fan of ketamine, alwys felt good a few days afterwards i can see how it would make a good step forwards in treating those who are clinically adressed.

It'll probably take several years...

Even so I count they'll dish it out too freely, which is good. It can be quite toxic.

Seriously? I mean I guess its no surprise, as like one in a million doctors know, and actually care to use Ketamine for anything other then off the wall shit like immediate anesthesia as needed when nothing else is available or slipping it some cocktail of lotion. I know some Docs, such as yourself out there know the true gem that Ket truly is but.....WTF? I mean honestly, its like what listed as one of the most essential chemicals by the WHO standards and that.....

So many facets.....an anesthetic that doesn't affect heart rate or depresses breathing like the majority of others do, not to mention the million other applications ketamine has..... its like a universal key in comparison to most, can completely annihilate pain without fucking with the respiratory system to badly...... so sad that they have to use deference tactics just to get it out of the gate!

The whole "kids snorting large animal tranquilizer to cop a buzz" thing sure didn't help ketamine's image.

It's thought of as an anesthetic of last resort by emergency docs, surgeons, and anesthesiologists. It's in the first aid kit of any doc certified in wilderness medicine. But even in the ED, I've only seen it used when etomidate is contraindicated.

And when it comes down to it, it's ketamine's psychoactive effects at doses needed for twilight anesthesia (approximately drug-naive recreational doses) that make doctors say 'yuck' to this drug. Medical literature files the headspace created by ketamine under 'psychosis', and psychosis is an absolutely unacceptable side effect of any drug or medical intervention, period.

Apparently it's an acceptable side effect in pre-pubescent children, who, according to the best available evidence (or at least longstanding hearsay!) are able to better be unfazed by, integrate, and soon forget a ketamine experience than us world-weary and well socialized adults can. This of course carries the implicit assumption that a drug with the power to strip away every layer of our conditioned assumptions and leaving bare our luminous core of pure self-aware consciousness for a twenty-minute-long eternity is something to be avoided, from a psycho-social perspective. I, of course, am one of the few physicians who doesn't buy that party line.

That said, there are people who should not use ketamine because the psychological risks outweigh the benefits. But that's not saying much, because this is true for any drug with psychoactive effects.

IM is probably going to be the most efficient way to dose.

I wouldn't take an NMDA antagonist that does not have a psychedelic component, for it's that component which helps with the healing of consciousness.

I've also read that most non-psychedelic NMDA antagonists being produced do not have the same effectiveness as ketamine.

This is a cash grab, plain and simple.